Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Charge Light/ Oil Light

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2006, 08:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Charge Light/ Oil Light

So I have a 2 part question.
1.) I was driving my 87 4runner to work today, and I took it out of overdrive, and the charge and brake lights both came on instantly. There was no change in the performance of it, but about 1 minute later, they both went out? Any suggestions on what it could be? I checked all my connections, and no corrosion, no nothing, they are all still perfect. I just put a new red top in about 2 months ago, but it still fires right up. Just curious if it could be the alternator?? Or maybe something else more serious?

2.) Is the oil light strictly for Oil level, or is it also come on with poor oil pressure? Came on last week while wheeling over some steep angles, but turned off once we leveled out.

Thanks for all the help guys.
Old 12-05-2006, 08:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2) Oil pressure related. Seeing it light up is bad. I've seen some significant inclines with my junk and I've never triggered the light... Make sure you're topped off with oil b4 wheeling!
Old 12-05-2006, 08:23 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 87toylet
1.) I was driving my 87 4runner to work today, and I took it out of overdrive, and the charge and brake lights both came on instantly. There was no change in the performance of it, but about 1 minute later, they both went out? Any suggestions on what it could be? I checked all my connections, and no corrosion, no nothing, they are all still perfect. I just put a new red top in about 2 months ago, but it still fires right up. Just curious if it could be the alternator?? Or maybe something else more serious?

2.) Is the oil light strictly for Oil level, or is it also come on with poor oil pressure? Came on last week while wheeling over some steep angles, but turned off once we leveled out.

Thanks for all the help guys.
Can't Help With your First Question...
For your second question, Is your oil level up?
I noticed When I changed the oil for the first time on my own in my Runner the Light came on only cause It was on the ramp and I only put it 5 Quarts (required 5.5 quarts..)
One I got It level and it ran with the extra 5.5 it was good...
But since you said it was really steep angles...
I am sure that was probably the problem, just oil pressure...
ust my .02
Old 12-08-2006, 02:53 PM

"Make sure you're topped off with oil b4 wheeling!"

I may be new to wheeling but thats just common sense...Oil is full, light went off after returning to level ground, and hasnt come back on since...checked oil while light was on and was barely below full line.
Old 12-08-2006, 03:01 PM

If the light stayed on for a while with a full pan of oil, I'd be adding a secondary oil pressure gauge... Might be the sender/connection is bad, but if the oil pressue does go low enough to kick that light, I'd be very concerned.
Old 12-08-2006, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by 87toylet
That is generally something wrong with your alternator or one of the main cables from it or your battery.

My charge and brake lights came on and stayed on for days, but it isn't a daily driver so I didn't worry too much about it leaving me stranded. I figured it was the alternator, so I pulled it out and checked the brushes. They were a bit worn, but strangely they had worn a groove in the main shaft that they make contact with. I swapped in new brushes as a temporary fix, but the shaft is so worn that that solution didn't last long. I just put a new alternator in a couple of nights ago and it's all good.

Last edited by BeaterToyota; 12-08-2006 at 04:57 PM.
Old 12-08-2006, 11:18 PM

When the Alternator fails Toyotas always turn on the Brake light and the Charge light. Usually it's because of worn brushes, which are cheaply changed without much trouble.