86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Catalytic Converter Theft - BEWARE!

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 08:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Catalytic Converter Theft - BEWARE!

So i was driving to work this morning and when i pulled out onto the highway i got on the gas pretty hard and when i shifted into fourth gear i heard a pop then it sounded like my exhaust fell off! I pulled off to see what was going on and i didn't notice a break in the exhaust or anything. I drove it like it was to work and took a better look at it when i had time. I found that someone had removed the bolts and sensor on top of the catalytic converter. I must have created enough pressure when i got on it this morning to blow the sensor out of the hole (which someone removed the bolts). I looked a little more and realized that the bolt heads were stripped like somone was trying to take the entire cat off. So i came to the conclusion that someone tried to steal it. This has been happening alot around where I live because scrap yards pay so much for catalytic converters. I found this on wikipedia and i figured you might wanna take a look at it:

Catalytic converter theft
Due to the use of valuable precious metals including platinum, palladium, and rhodium, catalytic converters are a target for thieves. The problem is especially common among late-model Toyota trucks and SUVs, due to their high ground clearance and easily-removed bolt-on catalytic converters. Welded-in converters are also at risk of theft from SUVs and trucks, as they can be easily removed with a battery powered reciprocating saw.[2]

So beware on where you park your trucks guys!

Last edited by jkb5036; 01-17-2008 at 09:00 AM.
Old 01-17-2008, 09:03 AM

somebody stole mine last week...I left it in a parking lot for a few days(stupid) and I went back and my glass pack was sitting on the ground so I looked and they had just completely cut it off
Old 01-17-2008, 09:22 AM

how exactly could you prevent this? I mean i don't leave my car in parking lots for days at a time but there are 7 to 8 hours where I'm asleep at night.
Old 01-17-2008, 09:26 AM

people have them stolen all the time around here...the idiots sell em around here...stupid druggieess! there really is no way to prevent it...unless u rust the bolts so they cant get it off.
Old 01-17-2008, 09:29 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Allstar93088
people have them stolen all the time around here...the idiots sell em around here...stupid druggieess! there really is no way to prevent it...unless u rust the bolts so they cant get it off.

worthless dregs of society!! stealing Catalytic converters... Geezz.....

sorry for the rant but come on thats just ridiculous... it happens here all the time too.. my friend has a muffler shop and he's had a lot more lately coming in...

Damn tweakers!!! get off the meth!!!!

/rant!!!
Old 01-17-2008, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by Allstar93088
I think that's the only reason mine wasn't completely stolen. The bolts were too rusted to get off so they said screw it. So now I've found a reason to like rust..
Old 01-17-2008, 09:53 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Most of them around here just get cut off. I guess a lot of armor plating might help. Maybe some kind of fancy alarm system, you know....the type that beep when someone just gets close to your rig, combined with a pager alert system and a 12 gauge loaded with 00buck.
Old 01-17-2008, 09:57 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
put a grenade in it with a trip wire on one of the bolts lol.
Old 01-17-2008, 10:02 AM
Contributing Member

So with all the posts on this lately and after reading this article:
Newsweek Article on rising Catalytic Converter Thefts

I thought I'd post up more info: - In the article they mention a shop in Akron Ohio that has developed a cage:

"An Akron, Ohio, welding shop hasn't waited. American Welding now sells a steel cage called a "Catclamp," a device for cars and trucks that encases the converter, which was first developed last year for rental trucks, says the company's James Dusa. "The phone is ringing off the hook," says Dusa. "

http://catclamp.com/catclamp.asp

I've emailed them to ask about pricing - and discounts for larger buys...
Haven't heard anything yet...
Old 01-17-2008, 11:09 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Lysmachia
So with all the posts on this lately and after reading this article:
Newsweek Article on rising Catalytic Converter Thefts

I thought I'd post up more info: - In the article they mention a shop in Akron Ohio that has developed a cage:

"An Akron, Ohio, welding shop hasn't waited. American Welding now sells a steel cage called a "Catclamp," a device for cars and trucks that encases the converter, which was first developed last year for rental trucks, says the company's James Dusa. "The phone is ringing off the hook," says Dusa. "

http://catclamp.com/catclamp.asp

I've emailed them to ask about pricing - and discounts for larger buys...
Haven't heard anything yet...
Interesting post Molly. I wonder just how hard aircraft cable is to cut, I can't image it being any harder to cut than a bicycle locking cable and I think those just require some big bolt cutters don't they? But it may just be enough to get the lazy slimeball to look for another easier cat to steal. Our trucks have pretty easy access with 2+ feet of working space though.

I like the one link that mentioned buying a low rider LOL, like crooks can't use a jack.

My cat isn't worth nearly as much in recycle value as the stock cats are. I got $140 cash for my old 93 cat and my smaller cheaper replacement was only about $60 new off ebay.
Old 01-17-2008, 11:26 AM

I wouldn't mind someone stealing mine. I need a good reason to give the wife for buying a hi-flo cat and maybe other exhaust accessories. THEN I'll worry about someone stealing my cat.
Old 01-17-2008, 11:54 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by langzaiguy
I wouldn't mind someone stealing mine. I need a good reason to give the wife for buying a hi-flo cat and maybe other exhaust accessories. THEN I'll worry about someone stealing my cat.
Yeah my old cat was very hard to see though compared to the new one. You don't have to wait for someone to steal it though LOL. With the recycle valve far exceeding the replacement valve it almost pays for itself to switch it out.
Old 01-17-2008, 12:01 PM

I dont have too worry much i dont have one! lol
Old 01-17-2008, 12:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, the other day I found my O2 sensor hanging from the wire, completely unbolted from the down tube into the cat. (not on the cat itself). The studs were fine but the nuts long gone. Apparently the gasket had blown, giving the nuts enough wiggle room to come off and blow the sensor off. Apparently this is not so uncommon, from what my parts guy said...
Old 01-17-2008, 12:36 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by mt_goat
Interesting post Molly. I wonder just how hard aircraft cable is to cut, I can't image it being any harder to cut than a bicycle locking cable and I think those just require some big bolt cutters don't they?
Yeah, bicycle and cable locks are VERY easy to cut with a big bolt cutter. But if you have ever tried to cut cable with a saws-all... it sucks. The blade needs something that won't move and unles the cable is REALLY tight it will take forever to get through and be a big pain in the but...

The nice thing is that this was made with cable and if you were out to steal cats you would probably bring a wrench and a battery power sawsall, but i doubt many would bring along a big pair of bolt cutters.

Only down side is you might wake up to find all your windows broken out or a big gash in the side of your car out of anger.

Last edited by linuxrunner; 01-17-2008 at 12:37 PM.
Old 01-17-2008, 01:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sorry for the hijack but

what makes those cats worth so much money

i always scrap copper and other metals but what makes the CATs worth so much

thanks
Old 01-17-2008, 01:14 PM

who are extracting the metals for these thieves? gotta be something the authurities can do?
Old 01-17-2008, 01:27 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by TC4RNR
who are extracting the metals for these thieves? gotta be something the authurities can do?

That was the whole point of the article. Many scrap yards just "look the other way". Legislation in many states is trying to make scrap yards adhear to the same rules as Pawn shops. That would seriously limit the theives ability to get quick cash, and thuis would probably curb a majority of the meth heads from doing a quick steal.
Old 01-17-2008, 01:29 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by linuxrunner
Yeah, bicycle and cable locks are VERY easy to cut with a big bolt cutter. But if you have ever tried to cut cable with a saws-all... it sucks. The blade needs something that won't move and unles the cable is REALLY tight it will take forever to get through and be a big pain in the but...

The nice thing is that this was made with cable and if you were out to steal cats you would probably bring a wrench and a battery power sawsall, but i doubt many would bring along a big pair of bolt cutters.

Only down side is you might wake up to find all your windows broken out or a big gash in the side of your car out of anger.
Exactly, most folks out to steal cats don't have bolt cutters. Also the wire cage goes all the way around. Hard to get a pair of bolt cutter up on the top side of the cat underneath your truck. But again, like you said linnuxrunner, I'd be warry of the theif being pissed off and doing more damage in retribution. That is what really chaps my hide!
Old 01-17-2008, 03:02 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 96redtoy
sorry for the hijack but

what makes those cats worth so much money

i always scrap copper and other metals but what makes the CATs worth so much

thanks
From one of those links:

because each one contains a few grams of platinum, which has skyrocketed in price from $500 an ounce in 2000 to more than $1,500 today

Quick Reply: Catalytic Converter Theft - BEWARE!