Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Catalytic Converter Stolen! At School!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 08:30 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well after $120 bucks I had a new cat welded on. They said it was a "high-flow cat"...

Old 05-02-2008, 05:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
stolen cats?

A reputable welding and fabrication company in Toledo, OH has a new patented theft deterrent designed just for catalytic converters. It makes too much work for thieves in a hurry. The Catclamp is the only security system on the market designed exclusively to fight catalytic converter theft. It was in Newsweek Online on January 09, 2008. Go to Catclamp.com, the Catclamp is much cheaper than repairing a vehicle after catalytic converter theft.
Old 05-02-2008, 07:40 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jfurt
A reputable welding and fabrication company in Toledo, OH has a new patented theft deterrent designed just for catalytic converters. It makes too much work for thieves in a hurry. The Catclamp is the only security system on the market designed exclusively to fight catalytic converter theft. It was in Newsweek Online on January 09, 2008. Go to Catclamp.com, the Catclamp is much cheaper than repairing a vehicle after catalytic converter theft.
looks pretty fancy....

Old 05-02-2008, 07:52 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I haven't tried it but it looks like to me the cat clamp could be defeated in about 10 seconds with a bolt cutter or cut off wheel. They only need to cut one cable (the one that wraps around the frame) and they not only stole your cat but the cat clamp thing too. I'm betting that clamp costs more than my aftermarket cat did.
Old 05-02-2008, 07:58 AM

250 bucks plus a key for 20 bucks

I think it would definitely deter someone but of course it wouldnt stop them if they really wanted it....like The Club
Old 05-02-2008, 08:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looking at the aircraft cable gave me an idea:

Use said cable and loop the cat around the neck of the inlet, between the flange and the body, so it cannot be slid off. Run the other side of the cable up to your frame, bolting it with a torx head fastener. They could still cut the pipe, but it would discourage bolt-on thieves for minimal cost.

Red = aircraft cable
Blue = Hog clamps, or whatever they use to fasten them.

Originally Posted by jfurt
At $270, it would protect a cat at a cheaper price than an OEM unit, but it's double what a weld-on universal costs.

Last edited by Noltz; 05-02-2008 at 08:45 AM. Reason: Fixed it...
Old 05-02-2008, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by Noltz
Looking at the aircraft cable gave me an idea:

Use said cable and loop the cat around the neck of the inlet, between the flange and the body, so it cannot be slid off. Run the other side of the cable up to your frame, bolting it with a torx head fastener. They could still cut the pipe, but it would discourage bolt-on thieves for minimal cost.

Red = aircraft cable
Blue = Hog clamps, or whatever they use to fasten them.

At $270, it would protect a cat at a cheaper price than an OEM unit, but it's double what a weld-on universal costs.

Thats a good idea! just FYI, you can get Hi flow cats (like magnaflow) on ebay NEW for really cheap (well under 100 bucks)
Old 05-02-2008, 09:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
with that one though they would just cut next to the cable i think and there goes your catty cat cat i just dont have one my rig is 20+ years old so i dont need one really. but for an idea that will help out everything your cat under belly and all a piece of .125 thick metal to go on the whole under belly maybe??? like a really big skid plate that might work? other then that i would just put a smaller skid plat welded to the under side of the cat and a thick pipe going from the cat to the frame it self maybe who knows try a few things out think about it and we will take the junkies!!! or wait for them and when they get under your rig start it and drop the clutch run there a$$ over and call the cops and just say oh i didnt see them under there trying to steal my cat sorry................ lol
Old 05-02-2008, 09:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The problem with any of these is that they can be defeated with a battery-powered reciprocating saw in about 2 minutes. Even the "cat cage" thing can be knocked out in less than 10. If they can't get the whole unit out, they will just cut out what they can - the money is NOT in the the cat being whole, it's in the metal inside. If they can hack it apart to get the insides, they will.

What needs to happen is that recycling/scrap places need to stop buying catalytic converters. Right now you can walk into any scrap metal or salvage place and get $50-80 for an OEM catalytic converter. Cut that off, they stop stealing them.

Last edited by Crawdad; 05-02-2008 at 09:47 AM.