Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Camper Top

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2017, 10:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Camper Top

I'm looking for a camper top for a 1987 4x4 xtra cab. Ya'll may call them camper shells. A shop I worked at years ago sold A.R.E. camper tops but I can't seem to find any made for these older trucks. Anyone know of any?
Attached Thumbnails Camper Top-800px-toyota_pickup.jpg  
Old 09-29-2017, 12:18 PM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
I went through this a few years ago. No one makes the fiberglass ones anymore. You can get a custom one made from aluminum (the generic type), but not fiberglass.

If you DO want fiberglass, and you want a custom fit, contact Slacker (member here, located in Canada, ships to the US). He has a fiberglass shop, and can make almost anything custom. He's made everything from a custom Trekker to a basic fender.

For finding a shell that might fit: almost all mini-trucks have the same bed dimensions (Tacoma, Nissan, Chevy, etc). Ford is the same size, but flares out towards the cab. Extended cabs tend to slope forward, so if you want a shell for a standard cab, look for that version of a topper.

Here's my 93 ExtraCab with a Tacoma Regular cab shell:

Old 10-02-2017, 10:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the info. Good looking truck! I was hoping to find a top for the truck so I could build a sliding drawer storage box in the bed. May have to just make due with a tool box. Thanks for responding though!