86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Cable driven speedometer issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2019, 11:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cable driven speedometer issues

Ok so I’m new here. I’ve been fallowing some discussions on here for a while but my question has yet to be answered. My speedometer cable quit working I tried replacing the gauge as well as the cable still having the same issue also my tach isn’t working. I’m driving a 91 with a 22RE and a 5 speed 2wd. Please help
Old 05-04-2019, 11:59 AM

Edit

I did get a new cluster out of an SR5 because I wanted more than just idiot lights I followed this thread with installing it
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...06/index6.html
Old 05-04-2019, 03:03 PM

Received 570 Likes on 449 Posts
Does the speedometer work at all?

With the speedometer cable, the speedometer and tachometer are independent of each other.

Did you confirm that you have a wire in the wire harness for the tachometer? If there is no wire for the ignition signal, the tachometer will not work.

Old 05-04-2019, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by old87yota
Does the speedometer work at all?

With the speedometer cable, the speedometer and tachometer are independent of each other.

Did you confirm that you have a wire in the wire harness for the tachometer? If there is no wire for the ignition signal, the tachometer will not work.

im not sure how to check for that. At this point I’ve tinkered with it a bit and I’m pretty sure the Speedo issue is actually inside the transmission. I’ve been looking around for a guide on how to open up the housing where the cable feeds into the transmission as well as replacement parts but I have yet to find anything. Correction I found one thing and that was the speedometer gear inside the transmission that turns the cable is held in place by retaining springs? Not sure what to think of that let alone how to fix. Any input would be helpful. Especially about the tachometer. I would love to get that working. I thought the sr5 cluster would be plug n play according to this thread. https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...06/index6.html