Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Cab/cargo divider ideas for '86 4runner?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2017, 11:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Cab/cargo divider ideas for '86 4runner?

Hey guys. I'm going to be using my '86 4runner to move roughly halfway across the country. (I've had a shop replace roughly half the truck, so it should, knock on wood, be mechanically sound.) But I'm worried about not having a divider between the cab and all of the boxes and other stuff I'll be hauling in the back in case I have to stop short or I roll over. I've seen guys bolt metal dividers on the roll bar, but has anyone installed a cargo net behind the front seats? I'm looking for something like this. I don't have access to too many tools, so the lowest-tech effective solution would be the best for me. Any thoughts? Thanks, guys.
Old 10-24-2017, 11:48 AM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Originally Posted by just_some_guy
...I've seen guys bolt metal dividers on the roll bar, but has anyone installed a cargo net behind the front seats?
I'm looking for something like this.
Depends on where you want the division to be. behind the front seats OR behind the rear seats.
IF behind the rear seat, then you can readily tie THAT cargo net to the roll-bar and the cargo tie down near the front base of the roll-bar (on the rear wheel-well with low-tech, old-fashioned rope and knots.
If behind front seats, you may need to add tie-UP points. You can use rear corners of front seat rail/mount for tie-DOWN points.
Old 10-24-2017, 03:51 PM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by RAD4Runner
If behind front seats, you may need to add tie-UP points. You can use rear corners of front seat rail/mount for tie-DOWN points.
Thanks for the advice! Do you have any recommendations for creating tie-up points? They would have to be on the B pillars, I guess. Would you weld, or would you drill and add a bolt? I'd rather not weld. Would you happen to have any DIY examples?
Old 10-24-2017, 04:18 PM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Take the fiberglas camper shell/cap mounting bolts out, find correct combination of bushings/spacers and bolt-on D-rings.

Take off the rear seat bottoms (better if you're filling the back with cargo, anyway). Use the four mounting screws to mount D-Rings.

No cutting, drilling, tapping nor welding,

Last edited by RAD4Runner; 10-29-2017 at 09:28 PM.
Old 10-24-2017, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by RAD4Runner
No cutting, drilling, tapping nor welding,
That's exactly what I'm looking for. Thank you. I'll definitely go that route.
Old 10-24-2017, 05:34 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
RAD4Runner's method would work fine for what it sounds like you want to do.

I had these in my 81 Trekker
Amazon Amazon
http://www.discountramps.com/tie_down_rails/p/TRAK8/

when i stripped that truck they found their way into my 4Runner
by https://www.flickr.com/photos/42814812@N06/, on Flickr
by https://www.flickr.com/photos/42814812@N06/, on Flickr

I have a cargo net that can tie down to the floor or sides to hold stuff down or use bungee cords or what ever
not exactly low tech but works for me.
I like the cargo net that you found
Old 10-24-2017, 08:28 PM

dropzone—I think RAD4runner's system will be the best for what I'm after, just because it'll give me close to full coverage, though I like those rails a lot. Thanks for letting me know about them. I might want to install them just for the sake of versatility later on, and maybe as extra support for a net, six points of contact being better than four.

I'm also really excited to see the tool box you've got in yours. I was thinking of doing something similar. Before I bought the 4runner, I had planned to get a pickup, throw a Softopper on it, and use a box like that without the overhangs. But the 4runner showed up at the right time, and I definitely don't regret buying it instead.