Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

A/C Idle up VSV

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2016, 02:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Holly crap I'm really confused now. With a crapped out ac system (I don't know what) when I push the ac button my idle should rise right? Mine is not.
I started on the ac today replaced everything but after 3 expansion valves none of them were right. I ended up ordering another evaporater in hopes that one of the expansion valves will fit. I'll be cracking at it again tomorrow. I'm so frustrated with this ac system I could set fire to everything I did today. None of the expansion valves fit the high side line but one and that one wouldn't fit the evaporater. I hope the parts I get tomorrow will work.

Last edited by an1176; 04-22-2016 at 02:56 PM.
Old 04-22-2016, 03:58 PM

I am also a little confused now but I'll get it figured out. Fyi, I got my evaporator core from Rock Auto, a Denso that is OE and fit perfect, and my expansion valve came from NAPA, which also was a spot on match
Old 04-22-2016, 04:06 PM

What year is yours? I got my whole kit from rockauto. Outside of the plug on the compressor not matching and the issue with the evaporator and expansion valve everything else was fine. I'm not sure which evaporater I bought. If tomorrow's don't work I'm gonna order the denso and see what happens. My evaporater looked horrible, very nasty.
Old 04-22-2016, 04:07 PM

I sprayed my old expansion valve with some carb cleaner and blew it out with air compressor. Wonder if it is reusable. You can blow air freely through it.
Old 04-22-2016, 04:10 PM

Mine is an 87
Old 04-22-2016, 04:12 PM

Sorry, I wish the FSM had a detailed description of operation. When you said you adjusted the black RPM knob, I forgot that one was there. Mine has not been a problem so I've never touched it. I'm certain that there isn't two places to adjust the idle up. And I know you adjust the RPM at the Plenum. I would put the black knob in the middle and go from there. I hope it goes well for you.
Old 04-22-2016, 04:17 PM

But my truck never had A/C, I had an 86 I took the evap box and wiring out of.
Old 04-22-2016, 04:18 PM

Thanks to everyone for your advise and help. I'm hoping it'll all work out tomorrow. By the way I've screwed the idle knob in and out all the way with no change. I have not messed with the amplefier yet. Guess if I get everything running tomorrow and my idle still won't go up I'll mess with the amplifier.
Old 04-22-2016, 06:13 PM

Received 824 Likes on 651 Posts
Idle-up is almost trivial to diagnose. Get a 5/32" male-male vacuum fitting (or scavenge a ball-point pen) to connect the metered air line to the plenum line. Does the idle increase? Good. It sound like your valve isn't opening. Note that it is a piggy-back valve; the VSV puts vacuum on a diaphragm that opens a larger valve.

If the idle doesn't increase with the "jumper" method, check the plenum line for vacuum. I don't know anything about the 22re, but the 3VZE can get a lot of "crud" (that's the technical name) inside the plenum (mostly from the PCV). Over the years, it can actually cover the vacuum ports.

Don't confuse the idle-up with the control ON the A/C amplifier. Idle-up is only that; when the A/C switch closes, the engine idle increases. The control on the amplifier shuts off the compressor when the idle gets "too" low. (To keep the compressor from stalling the engine.) You want that control set so that the compressor turns, even at idle, when the A/C switch comes on. But if your idle is too low (bad idle-up?), having the compressor come on could stall the engine.
Old 04-22-2016, 10:08 PM

"You need to try that question again."

Originally Posted by scope103
Idle-up is almost trivial to diagnose. Get a 5/32" male-male vacuum fitting (or scavenge a ball-point pen) to connect the metered air line to the plenum line. Does the idle increase? Good. It sound like your valve isn't opening. Note that it is a piggy-back valve; the VSV puts vacuum on a diaphragm that opens a larger valve.

If the idle doesn't increase with the "jumper" method, check the plenum line for vacuum. I don't know anything about the 22re, but the 3VZE can get a lot of "crud" (that's the technical name) inside the plenum (mostly from the PCV). Over the years, it can actually cover the vacuum ports.

Don't confuse the idle-up with the control ON the A/C amplifier. Idle-up is only that; when the A/C switch closes, the engine idle increases. The control on the amplifier shuts off the compressor when the idle gets "too" low. (To keep the compressor from stalling the engine.) You want that control set so that the compressor turns, even at idle, when the A/C switch comes on. But if your idle is too low (bad idle-up?), having the compressor come on could stall the engine.

That's what I was saying.
Old 04-23-2016, 12:02 PM

Well it's done. Finally found an expansion valve that would fit. Couldn't find the right evaporater. I cleaned my old one that was nasty and put it back on. Ac works but idle up still doesn't. I messed with amplifier and set to kick on the compressor at the lowest rpm but truck still won't idle up. I tried messing with ac idle screw and nothing. When I take the two vacuum lines loose from vsv and put them together it idles up on the vsv it does nothing. So I'm guessing problem is vsv.
Old 04-23-2016, 12:13 PM

When all else fails, Read The Fine Manual. http://web.archive.org/web/201102052...24vacuumsw.pdf (test procedure for VSV)
Old 04-23-2016, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by an1176
Well it's done. Finally found an expansion valve that would fit. Couldn't find the right evaporater. I cleaned my old one that was nasty and put it back on. Ac works but idle up still doesn't. I messed with amplifier and set to kick on the compressor at the lowest rpm but truck still won't idle up. I tried messing with ac idle screw and nothing. When I take the two vacuum lines loose from vsv and put them together it idles up on the vsv it does nothing. So I'm guessing problem is vsv.

Good! I had to replace my VSV.
Old 04-25-2016, 06:33 AM

Update; so with my idle up vsv still not working I went to a pick and pull place looking for VSVs. I didn't find any like mine but I found a mid 90s camery with a row of 4 VSVs all of them different then what I needed. I decided I'll try them can't hurt, 20 bucks for 4 VSVs. One of them actually worked even though it's a different vsv. Now the problem is after I turn the ac the truck idles up like it should but after about 5 minutes it stops and idle drops again. I'm at a loss... I did mess with the amplifier when changing everything. I set the amplifier to its lowest setting to kick in the compressor. Could this be the problem now?
Old 04-25-2016, 09:05 AM

I am adding A/C to my truck which never had air. i do not have a VSV. Does anyone know if i have to have a vsv to make the air work?
Old 04-25-2016, 09:52 AM

The VSV controls the A/C idle-up. Without it, when you come to a stop the compressor will stall the engine. You could sorta get around that by jacking up the idle, or turning off the A/C at idle, or remembering to keep your foot on the gas whenever the A/C is on.

Good luck!
Old 04-25-2016, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by an1176
Update; so with my idle up vsv still not working I went to a pick and pull place looking for VSVs. I didn't find any like mine but I found a mid 90s camery with a row of 4 VSVs all of them different then what I needed. I decided I'll try them can't hurt, 20 bucks for 4 VSVs. One of them actually worked even though it's a different vsv. Now the problem is after I turn the ac the truck idles up like it should but after about 5 minutes it stops and idle drops again. I'm at a loss... I did mess with the amplifier when changing everything. I set the amplifier to its lowest setting to kick in the compressor. Could this be the problem now?
The VSV will shut off when the compressor does, so the idle will cycle with the compressor. Is your compressor still running when it idles down?
Old 04-25-2016, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by grumpin
The VSV will shut off when the compressor does, so the idle will cycle with the compressor. Is your compressor still running when it idles down?
Yes it is. The guy that helped me said the compressor should never shut off. I was under the impression it should cycle... I know the compressor is still running because my idle will fluctuate between 200 and 600 several time until it settles at about 450. If I turn ac off idle goes back to 800 like it should.
Old 04-25-2016, 11:28 PM

Could be that VSV is getting warm and shutting off. Did you try any others? You could connect the VSV lines together and see if the idle stays up and then you'll know it's the VSV.
Old 06-11-2019, 01:51 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
*bump bump Hey can anyone tell me if the VSV on the 22R is the same as the VSV on the 22RE? Or more specifically is the wiring connector the same? I am swapping the AC system from a 22R into a 22RE truck and just trying to work out compatibility issues. Any other differences I should be aware of? I know I'll need the Idle-up diaphram valve for the RE as well. They are both 85 pickups. Thanks in advance

Quick Reply: A/C Idle up VSV