86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Broken Oil Pump 22RE

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 07:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Broken Oil Pump 22RE

Long time lurker, great posts on here...but this time it I had to get some specific advice on what I ran into.

I was out in the desert and she started overheating. I figured she probably was leaking coolant, so I checked it out. Coolant was getting low. I filled it up and, as expected, it happened again. The problem was that I didn't see any fluid leaking anywhere. I filled it up a few more times to get myself back to the highway and still no fluid was leaking. I suspected that I had blown the head gasket. When I checked for foaming oil via the filler cap I found none. I did, however, notice that the oil level appeared to rise almost to the filler neck and assumed that there was coolant taking up volume in the oil system. But no foaming.

I got it trailered home and it sat for a few weeks before I had time to do anything. I finally took it all apart and this is what I found. Pictures speak for themselves.

When I was searching, it seemed that other posts suggested rebuilding the entire bottom end once there is water in the oil, but I could not find any answer as to what exactly may have happened to my oil pump gears, where my fluid went, or what I should do next.

I should mention that this is my first yota, I recently escaped the jeep world, so I am not as familiar with the 22RE as I am with a 4.0.

Thanks guys!!
Old 10-24-2013, 07:51 AM

Any ideas?
Old 10-24-2013, 08:43 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Pictures are not working for me.
Old 10-24-2013, 09:04 AM

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
Wow. A broken oil pump is a rare occurrence. First time I have heard of it in a 22re.

Couldn't tell you cause and effect here. But if it was mine I'd be inclined to go through the bottom end as well.
Old 10-24-2013, 07:39 PM

Yeah, I'm leaning that way. Were you able to see the pictures RustBucket?

Does Engnbldr do bottom ends? I don't have too much time to screw with the bottom, so if I go that way I'd like to plug and play the bottom end.
Old 10-25-2013, 04:08 AM

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
yes pictures worked for me.

http://engnbldr.com/
Old 01-20-2014, 06:02 PM

˟˟˟˟˟ I found on the bottom of the oil pan

Hate to thread resurrect, but this is an ongoing (and slow ) project! I pulled the pan today and found this. Goo on the left is some sort of gasket which I found stuck to the oil pickup screen. Majority of the metal bits on the bottom right are not magnetic...and I don't really expect anyone to be able to identify them. The bolt was just sitting in the bottom of the pan next to the drain hole...anyone know what it came off of and why?? The threads are damaged in a couple of places...

Last edited by RedFive; 01-20-2014 at 06:04 PM.
Old 01-20-2014, 09:32 PM

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
That bolt looks like a timing chain guide bolt. Maybe someone changed the guide before you bought the truck and dropped the bolt in the pan. The particles look like pieces of a timing cover, and probably pieces of your oil pump. The gasket pieces could also be from a timing cover gasket. It looks like you have a steel driver' side guide, so more than likely someone replaced it at some point. Maybe they also put a super cheap oil pump in it?

I replaced the timing chain on my '88 22R pickup some years ago and my oil pump broke in a similar place as yours. I put a seal saver on the crankshaft pulley, and I suspect it broke and destroyed the oil pump, but I am not sure. I would guess that yours was either starved of oil, possibly from the debris on the oil pickup screen, or something made it past the screen and got stuck in the oil pump causing it to seize and snap at the drive spline.

When my oil pump broke, I replaced it and the truck still runs fine, but it has started to take longer than usual to build oil pressure at start up. I am thinking some metal shavings got past the filter and damaged bearings or something like that. It is a good idea to go through the bottom end since you have it apart.
Old 01-20-2014, 09:42 PM

Thanks for the assessment! One side of the timing chain guide is metal, but the other side is still plastic. Not sure why you wouldn't want both sides to be metal?

I'm thinking you may be right about the bolt, I will compare them tomorrow.

And your theory about starvation/FOD also sounds reasonable. There was enough junk in the bottom of that pan that I wouldn't be surprised if it was up in the screen clogging things.

Going to pull the motor later in the week and take it to a machine shop.

Thanks again!