Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

broken bolt and extractor

Old 08-26-2007, 02:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
broken bolt and extractor

Ok so after working on my 4runner all weekend I go and snap a bolt into the engine block. I was installing the timing chain kit from enginebuilder and while installing the chain guide it says to use 'extra oil pan bolts.' Um, what happens if you don't have extra oil pan bolts? So I when through my bolt box and found a bolt that fit. It fit the first time, but I removed the guide to drop the head onto the block. While re-installing it I snapped the bolt.

Yeah I was pissed off. So I've spent the last 5 hours to remove the damn bolt with no luck. Instead of just drilling it out from the start I decided to use a screw/bolt extractor which broke on me. Turns out bolt extractors are made of hardened steel so it's next to impossible to drill through. The good thing about hardened steel is that when it has such a high tensile the steel becomes brittle. Which means you should be able to shatter it. I gave that a try and managed to break 2 center punches. Then I tried welding a bead onto the bolt and spinning it with vice grips, but the bolt was too small to lay a big enough bead on it. Any ideas?
Old 08-26-2007, 03:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How far is it broken off into the block? I've had good luck by welding a washer onto the broken bolt, then welding a nut onto the washer. Then you just back it out. The heat from the welding helps, too.
Old 08-26-2007, 03:15 PM

The bolt is about an 1/8" into the block. I just tried my neighbors drill out power extractor with no luck since it won't drill through the original extractor. If only the enginebuilder kit just came with those two bolts...

If I get desprite I might just put the guide on with one bolt and weld a head onto the end of the stripped bolt to hold the guide down. It only needs to be changed every few hundred thousand miles and I could always just grind the weld down.

Last edited by strykersd; 08-26-2007 at 03:59 PM.
Old 08-27-2007, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by strykersd
Turns out bolt extractors are made of hardened steel so it's next to impossible to drill through. The good thing about hardened steel is that when it has such a high tensile the steel becomes brittle. Which means you should be able to shatter it. I gave that a try and managed to break 2 center punches. Then I tried welding a bead onto the bolt and spinning it with vice grips, but the bolt was too small to lay a big enough bead on it. Any ideas?
no. but ive been there.
ended up getting another block(for a different reason though)