86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Brand of Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2002, 11:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Brand of Exhaust

Hey I want to get an exhaust for my truck I Got a 91 ex cab. I was hoping for somethign around 200 orso but I want to know what you guys think is the best brand and value. helo me out if ya could.
Old 06-08-2002, 01:07 AM
Contributing Member

I have been very happy with my Magna-Flow...they are moderately priced as well!

Mike
Old 06-08-2002, 05:12 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Hi Lev, welcome to the forum.
I too have the Magnaflow on my 2nd gen.

Most of the people I know buying exhausts recently have been getting Dynomax, Magnaflow, Vortex, or Flowmaster.

Most of your better exhaust shops will carry these and put them on for you and the correct size pipe which 2.25" seems to be just right for the 4 and 6 Toyota engines.

If you have a 3rd gen, they might even already have 2.25" from the factory, and all you need to do is replace the muff.

Since you have a '91, more than likely the stock pipe is 2" or smaller.
Mine was puny and going to the 2.25" was a lot bigger looking than what was on there.

To give you an idea of how different systems sound, I put together an exhaust page a few weeks back.
If anyone else has some sound bytes of vid clips of their system, I can add it to the page later.
Old 06-08-2002, 06:44 AM

Welcome to the forum Lev. Can't help with the exhaust question, just a "Welcome".
Old 06-08-2002, 09:56 AM

Just got Magnaflowed Thursday. Lovin' da deep purr maan'.
Old 06-08-2002, 11:13 AM
Contributing Member

Damn Corry 2.25" on a 3rd generation, I thought I had 2.5"! Oh well from the cat back I now have 2.5"

I will say though, their are different mufflers from Magna-Flow that produce a different sound. I forget which one I have, however, at idle it has a nice rumble and at WOT it is pretty loud!!

Mike
Old 06-08-2002, 11:40 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey lev451,
What engine are you running? I found (for my son's 4 cyl PU) that the 6 cyl exhaust would bolt onto his 4 cyl truck from cat back. We used the dynomax glasspack and 6 cycl pipes. The 6 used 2" pipes and his was orig 1 3/4". It only ran us about $80 from NAPA. Had to mod a hanger to fit.
Old 06-09-2002, 09:12 AM

Yeah, there are a few of us here who have Dynomax, Magnaflow, etc. I think the only difference w/ the muffler is the sound and the amount and volume of it. The big difference will be in the increase of your pipe size. That helps the engine "breathe" alot better and gives some horesypower and better gas milage. Check it out and call some muffler shops. See what they recommend. But I (and many others) would probably recommend some free-flowing muffler of some sort and run 2-1/4" tubing from the cat-back. Let us know what you find. Also...WELCOME!! :beaver:

-Ryan
Old 06-09-2002, 08:58 PM

Thanks

Thanks everyone for the ideas I will be chcking it out and be sure to let you know how it all comes out.
Old 06-12-2006, 10:46 PM

Thank's for the input guy's! I need to do the same to my 3rd. gen Runner.
Old 06-13-2006, 04:45 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What about a free-flowing Cat? Are these a good idea to have on a 3rd gen or not?

I've been wanting to to do a system from the engine all the way to the tail pipe, but I wasn't sure if I could w/ my year 4R. I've got an '02 Sport and didn't know if there is anything I should be aware of when running a completely new setup.

Thanks
Old 06-13-2006, 01:26 PM
Contributing Member

I'm also in the market for a new exhaust system... however, I want a better sounding muffler, but don't want a really loud muffler... only slightly beefier sounding. I was going to go with the 24" (30" overall) MagnaFlow, but my YotaTech source has been less than responsive. So, I'm in the market for any other suggestions. Sorry to hi-jack.
Old 06-13-2006, 01:32 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Corey
To give you an idea of how different systems sound, I put together an exhaust page a few weeks back.
I'm getting a PAGE NOT FOUND error from this link
Old 06-13-2006, 02:33 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by ErikJeanna
I'm getting a PAGE NOT FOUND error from this link
probably because this thread is from 2002! Try this one... http://pnw4runners.com/exhaust/exhaust.htm
Old 06-13-2006, 02:55 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
ahh nothing like posting in old threads to get your post count higher
Old 06-13-2006, 02:59 PM

This is an OLD thread, holy cow :-)

Me I am a flowmaster guy with custom pipes.. Exhasut kits are nice, but I find one bent to the rig fits better... espically when hi clearance is wanted....
Old 06-13-2006, 03:01 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
i like how all the old ones show up in 95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners section
Old 06-13-2006, 09:03 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Elton
ahh nothing like posting in old threads to get your post count higher
I didn't even bother looking at the date of this post... and I could care less if I have 1 or 1,000,000 posts. I'm here to help and be helped... not to show off numbers.
Old 06-13-2006, 09:10 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by rocket
probably because this thread is from 2002! Try this one... http://pnw4runners.com/exhaust/exhaust.htm
Thanks Eric...
Old 06-14-2006, 12:10 AM
Contributing Member

no prob but my name is EriK with a "k"

don't you hate it when someone asks, "is it spelled with a C or a K"? and you reply "K" ....then they say, "oh, is it e-r-i-c-k"? You say, "um no, it's e-r-i-k"
If i had a nickle for every time...

Back on topic.. I have 3 mufflers still sitting in boxes... the OG Flowmaster 40 series to be installed on my yet to buy trail rig, a Flowmaster 40 Delta series to be installed on my '96 4runner, and a Flowmaster 50 series to be installed on my Acura Integra.

Why Flowmaster? I once had happy results with a new cat-back & Flowmaster muffler installed on my old '83 GMC Jimmy. Ever since then i've been sold on Flowmaster wether they have pure stainless steel or not.

Also, this may be from their website but it's still worth reading...

The Flowmaster Advantage:

Flowmaster vs. "straight-through" muffler designs

First you need to understand the technology of a "straight-through" muffler design. "Straight-through" muffler designs utilize a packing material wrapped around a piece of perforated tubing to absorb sound as its traveling through the muffler. This internal tubing is generally reduced as it enters the inlet of the muffler to help achieve a further reduction of sound as its exiting the muffler, smaller hole, less sound. At the same time this creates a further restriction for hot exhaust gases traveling through the mufflers.

Why should I buy a Flowmaster?

* Since Flowmaster mufflers use sound energy cancellation technology, you don't have to worry about "packing material" deteriorating and getting louder after as little as a few months.

* The interior case volume of the inside of a Flowmaster muffler is far superior to that of a "straight-pipe" or "straight-through" muffler design. Imagine filling a "straight-pipe" or "straight-through" muffler with water vs. filling a Flowmaster muffler with water. Which one do think would hold substantially more volume?

* The deflector in a Flowmaster muffler acts as a one way check valve eliminating reversion back to the engine and creates a low pressure area to help scavenge the exhaust.

* Flowmasters unique style of H-Chamber designs help control interior resonance inside the cab area of your vehicles. "Straight-through" muffler designs cannot.

* Flowmasters use fully welded construction for added strength and durability to last even when installed on high horsepower engines.

* Flowmaster mufflers are made in the U.S.A.

Quick Reply: Brand of Exhaust