86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Which Brake Pads

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 06:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Which Brake Pads

I've asked this on my build thread, but didn't get any answers to the question.
https://www.yotatech.com/52188322-post494.html

Which pad would are you using and which pad do you think would be the best.

1) Asbestos Pad... Not and issue not around anymore
2) Organic Pads... These pads were available back when the 4runner came out, but was never used for them.
3) Semi-Metallic Pads... Sine I am an original owner of a 1986 4Runner I know that my 86 4runner was stock with semi-metalic pads, you can read about the issue I had with it way back then on the above link
4) Ceramic Pads... Don't know if I should use this as they say they are quieter than metallic, but will have a shorter life.

Which are you using or which would you use.
Old 04-21-2014, 07:11 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
I have had a lot of luck with a good semi metallic pad. I have used ceramic on a lot if other vehicles with good results, but never on any of my yotas. I never felt the need to go to a ceramic pad.

I feel that the semi metallic pad dusts a little more and can be a little noisy at times but work great and last a long time. But I have always purchased the best semi metallic pad you can get, which sometimes ends up being the same price as a ceramic if not more.
Old 04-22-2014, 12:13 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

I think alot comes down to your driving style.

I have ceramic pads on my 4 Runner only because they gave me the wrong pads at Napa . What the heck give them a try.

Most Often I run the Semi Metallic ultra premium from Napa

To be honest I can`t really tell a major difference between the two types of pad

To me pad wear is less important then braking power I would rather get 10,000 miles to a set of pads then 40 or 50,000 miles with the loss of braking power.

On my Tacoma work truck I am running a set of semi Metallic pads from Toyota these I have over 50,000 miles on with a average weight of 1000 pounds of payload or towed engine drive welder.

I always install new rotors with new brake pads for what it is worth.
Old 04-22-2014, 12:22 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Are ceramic pads fairly new to the market? What is the benefits of them? Something I will google later on and see what I can find out.
Old 04-22-2014, 12:35 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

They came on the scene a few years back.

I am not really sure less dirt less noise for the front wheel drive crowd.

I find the Liquid brine takes out the front brake hardware I need to replace all my pins I have just been lazy.
Old 04-22-2014, 08:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The benefits of ceramic pads are that they take high heat applications better than semi metallic. I.e. Auto-cross, rally racing, formula1, etc. they also give off very very little dust, and when they do it's a super fine (almost) white powder that wipes right off. Semi-metallic work better at lower temps but can burn if they get too hot, ceramic pads do not burn pretty much until the rotor melts.
as for the longevity compared to one another... what does it matter? we all should be doing fairly regular inspections of our vehicles any way. the ceramic pads on my car are at about 40% life left, I put em on about 65-70k ago with fairly regular autox and drag strip trips.
Old 04-22-2014, 11:09 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Thanks guys for the information and that is about what I found out on my studies. I have an '01 4Runner and had the infamous rotor warp that that is common on this generation of trucks. About 2 months ago I changed the rotor and pads out. I have a friend that is a parts store manager and I told him that at the time I was not able to afford the Tundra brake upgrade and I needed the best rotor and pads that they sold. If I recall right the total parts, new rotors and pads was about $170. He said that he sold me the ceramic pads.

So far I have been very happy with them and they seem to do a good job. From what I found out on the internet is ceramic is finer dust and can take heat better. Supposedly the cost is a little more but I don't think it is really that much more then what other pads would go for. Nothing like double or triple the price, but I did not compare prices. The rotors for mine was the biggest expense and I really don't think the pads were that much overall. My numbers may not be correct but seems like it is close to that price.

It is good to have a friend in the parts business and he apparently got me the best parts that he could so am happy with that and so far the brakes as well. I can generally get several thousand miles on pads with my driving. So it is going to be awhile before I know how these hold up for the long haul, but I do know in the past, I always got the best semi metallic pads that I could afford and have somewhat of a mental comparison to go off of. Time will tell.

It does seem that liquid brine is worse then salt. I have been paying closer attention to underneath my truck more since they have been using it. I spend more time washing the under carriage then I do the rest of the truck. Next winter to try and keep the brine to a minimum, I plan on coating the under side with a coat of oil. Cant do it on the brakes and don't know what you can really do to help with the brake hardware other then washing as best as possible.

Last edited by Terrys87; 04-22-2014 at 11:15 PM.
Old 04-23-2014, 04:11 AM

I don't recommend using just motor oil on your undercarriage, but instead use a mix of motor oil and diesel. the ratio can vary, depending on what kind of oil you are using, but the consistency you're looking for to get the best coverage (and not have any drips) is to get it to about mineral oil thickness. I've found that approx 40% diesel with 5w-30 is perfect. if youve got old gear oil, use 65-70% diesel.

food for thought, ceramic pads work better when hot but WILL cause normal rotors to warp if you ride them all the time. They can get much hotter than semi metallics.
Old 04-23-2014, 04:36 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
These are all good information here. The benefits of ceramic pads are at the top.

Rowdydudeman, I've heard that from the toyota dealer back in the 90's when I went to purchase them. They told me that because of the design of the trucks that they still recommend semi-metallic. That could have all change today with the improvements of ceramics over the years as well the improvements of semi-metallic I really don't know. for now I'm going to purchase a semi-metaliic
Old 04-23-2014, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by junk4u
These are all good information here. The benefits of ceramic pads are at the top.

Rowdydudeman, I've heard that from the toyota dealer back in the 90's when I went to purchase them. They told me that because of the design of the trucks that they still recommend semi-metallic. That could have all change today with the improvements of ceramics over the years as well the improvements of semi-metallic I really don't know. for now I'm going to purchase a semi-metaliic
Exactly, when ceramics first debuted they were meant for race applications and vehicles that had thinner but larger surface area rotors. (i think im explaining this right) for example, say a random suv has rotors that are 1" thick (from friction surface to friction surface, including added area for vents) with 2.5" of rotor surface. and now an example sports car of that day has rotors that are only .75" thick but have 5" of rotor surface. which do you think will cool more effectively under repeated heavy braking?
But now, most "sporty" cars have the thinner rotors with larger surface area for pad contact. they cool much better, last just as long, and handle oodles of brake heat in stride.