86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

brainstorming "brush wire" mounts

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2006, 10:57 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
brainstorming "brush wire" mounts

SO you may have seen cables that run from an ARB bumper (or simular) to a roof rack on some vehicals set up for "expedition" style wheeling. Well after wondering for a long time what the point of these wires were, i finnally heard....

Supposidly used to keep branches and brush off the windsheild. Which makes sence.

SO... as i do a lot of wheeling in tight wooded midwest trials encountering tree limbs /brush is a reg occurance. I want to rig one of these cables with out having to bolt a huge rack to my head.

Addtionally i have this wild idea i could use it for one leg of a di-pol anteana for a moble 10M rig... but thats secondary....

-Ive considered making tabs and bolting them to the roof... (right at the A piller)
-Ive considered a single tube (the start of an exo cage) from the rock sliders up the A piller and across the top. Which is a fun idea except im afraid that 1) why stop there and not just do the rest of the exo cage...2) complex 3) costly?
-ive considered using an aftermarket type roof rack mount for just the front. (yak etc) (which would also come in handy when hauling the cannoe)

of the 3 ideas i think i like the last the best, but its subject to being ripped off while off road which doent real appeal to me.

how about a simple hoop welded to the front of roof? (create problems in a role over incident?) (and if i do this why not just go with tabs like idea 1....

suggestions?
Old 10-24-2006, 08:42 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
<sniff> no one wants to comment?
Old 10-24-2006, 03:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a Yak Rack on my 4Runner.
And when I put on an ARB bull bar, I was planning on doing exactly the same thing.
Old 10-24-2006, 05:29 PM

It seems to me that it would be more trouble then its worth. Would brush and stuff get snagged on the cable? Whats wrong with brush hitting your window (its smooth)? I always thought people used those cables to keep the brush from snagging on their roof racks. You don’t have a rack (yet). Maybe I’m wrong, just my two cents.
Old 10-24-2006, 07:13 PM

Nah, i've busted many a windshield plowing through wooded fields. You forget how heavy those branches that are only 3-5" thick are...
Old 10-24-2006, 07:27 PM
Contributing Member

ive been wanting to do the same thing too. they do help keep the longer branches etc off the side of your truck, and divert them to the top. ive busted my power antenna mast from overhanging branches (why i forgot to put it down i dont know ) as well as got a nice crack on my windscreen. yes they can do damage.

however, i found theres not a real easy way of hooking it up without going roof rack attachment. if youre comfortable drilling into your body/pillars/roof then fab up some mounting masts that can be removable if need be. got sunroof? may want to look at mounting that way (similar to how they have sunroof fairings mounted). my oem rack sits behind my sunroof, so its a bit too far to mount to.

hell...just go full exo
Old 10-24-2006, 07:45 PM

Yeah pushing over trees isn't a problem anymore with my crevice front end replacement, it's just the overhanging trees you gotta worry about.

Hell, if you're not worried about paint on the roof, just stretch it all the way to the trailor hitch or something... Redneck-rig it!