86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Bottom end 22re rebuild question

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2017, 05:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bottom end 22re rebuild question

I need to rebuild the bottom end of my 22re. Motor is tired, and the rear main is GONE. Just leaking oil everywhere. I think I will order the Pro kit from LCE. Top end is already new from last year so no worries there.
My question is this.
Should I just go ahead and order all the standard size parts, pistons and bearings? I cant afford to take the time to take the engine apart and measure all the bearings and stuff before I order the kit because the truck is a DD.
Thanks
Old 08-20-2017, 06:54 AM

Received 603 Likes on 441 Posts
Are you absolutely sure that no previous rebuild has been done on the bottom end??

If not, it's possible that oversize parts are already installed.

There's really no substitute for measurements and physical examination of crank journals and cylinder bores before parts acquisition

How lucky do you feel??
Old 08-20-2017, 07:12 AM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by millball
Are you absolutely sure that no previous rebuild has been done on the bottom end??

If not, it's possible that oversize parts are already installed.

There's really no substitute for measurements and physical examination of crank journals and cylinder bores before parts acquisition

How lucky do you feel??
Mill is right - it has to be disassembled and measured. It may also need machining.

If you are in a time crunch find a bottom you can have rebuilt properly while driving the current one.
Old 08-20-2017, 08:30 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

If your luck is that good Buy a Powerball ticket because you will win!!!

If you feel lucky and your engine has less then 50,000 miles

Your cylinders might still be some what round so other then burning lots of oil it should not be to bad .

You might be ahead just dumping oil in the engine you have till you can rebuild one
Old 08-20-2017, 08:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm just a newb so take my comments with a grain of salt, but if it's your only mode of transportation I wouldn't go for a full rebuild for a tired engine. You can replace the rear main seal w/o taking the whole thing apart. Have you done a compression and leak down check?

Daniel
Old 08-21-2017, 08:33 AM

Do it Right

I recently rebuilt my 22re, not a DD, but still wanted it up & running asap. I strongly encourage you to find another motor & throughly rebuild it & just swap them out. Unfortunately, there's not a quick fix for an engine rebuild. The benefit with this approach is your $$/time results in true confidence that your motor is good for another 200k miles. The yotatech community assisted me greatly with advice - if I can do it - anyone can!
Old 08-22-2017, 06:16 AM

I took mine to a machine shop before ordering the parts. Had them check it. Mine with 193k still had standard parts, no oversized. But i did have it measured first and knew it was the original parts in it. It would be a more expensive and time wasting experience to order the wrong stuff then having to reorder
Old 08-22-2017, 09:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

you would be better off with building a different engine then do the swap , if you need to dd the truck . I built engines for many years the Toyota blocks ...or any Japanese engines for that matter always impressed me the cylinders were almost always in spec piston in great shape ring lands still good . even after 100's of thousands of miles .. often they required only an overhaul ,but very few were wore out. the aftermarket pistons many times have a lowered pin height also unless you have milled the block you will lose power . the last one I built had the pistons sticking out of bore 15 thou . used original pistons bore in spec piston clearance in spec used a eng. builder torque cam and adjustable cam gear advanced 4 degrees . also put in the 4 hole injectors that are I think 10% over stock it is the best 22re i've had so far very torquey ,and just what I needed for the 37" tires 529's help too ... anyway good luck with your build ..
Old 09-02-2017, 12:27 PM

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts
LC Engineering sells 22re blocks bare. As well as a crank kit with new bearings, rods pistons and rings. All you have to do is assemble it. It is not cheap by any means but it is plug and play. You will need to measure and file the piston rings. My dad bought a setup like this from them and I assembled it for him. Everything went together very smoothly.
Old 09-02-2017, 04:37 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Ive had good experience with Nippon pistons. Dirt cheap, excellent results.