Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Body Lift!

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 05:43 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Body Lift!

Anyone know how much it would cost me to put a body lift on a 1986 Toyota 4x4? I'm talking about the extended brake lines, shifter extensions, and bumper mounts.. etc.. Anyone remember how much it cost them? I'm thinking of doing a 3" body lift... I might settle with a 1" so I don't have to extend anything...
Old 11-02-2007, 06:00 AM

IMHO the 3" is too much and 1" is a waste of time. 2" is the 'right' amount.

You don't do anything to the brakes, don't need to extend the shifter, bumper mounts are included in most kits which are around a hundred bucks.
Old 11-02-2007, 06:04 AM
Banned

What size body lift do you have?

Last edited by Trustyrusty; 11-02-2007 at 06:10 AM. Reason: Accidental Double Post
Old 11-02-2007, 06:07 AM
Banned

How is a 3" too much? and a 1" Isn't a waste of time if you only need a little bit of clearance for a bigger tire.

Whats the negative affects of a body lift? A -Ton-O-Body-Roll?

Also, what about extending the fuel lines, fuel filler, tranny lines, and all that shiznit.. Do I need to do that with a 3"?
Old 11-02-2007, 06:54 AM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Trustyrusty
Whats the negative affects of a body lift? A -Ton-O-Body-Roll?
A suspension lift of the same size will have 2x the body roll...

My 3" body lift cost me under 200 bucks with everything I had needed to be done.

The kit was around 160 bucks, and it cost me 40 bucks to have my shifters cut and welded
all the brackets needed where included in the kit.

The kit didnt have brackets to raise my rear bumper but I don't mind much, it gave me room to run my aux reverse lights on top of the bumper.
Old 11-02-2007, 07:07 AM

What size body lift do you have?
2"

3" body lifts have so much leverage the body will move around, eventually weakening the attachment points and in a 'crash' have been known to fail. If you hardcore wheel it the twisting of the chassis will also cause problems with large body lifts. Plus you run into problems with lines and such being too short. W/ a 2" there is enough that you don't need to replace anything (mostly loosening clamps and resetting.)
IMHO the 3" body lifts border on dangerous.

It's a lot of work for just an inch. I'd say that's a waste of time, but if that's what you want, go for it.
Old 11-02-2007, 07:24 AM
Contributing Member

My body mounts are shot so I was going to install new ones....should I go ahead and throw in the 2inch ones? Like the OP was asking what's the downside of these? I already have a 4inch susp lift.. so I dont really need the height, but this might be the difference between 33's and 35's.
Old 11-02-2007, 07:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dude...run the 3 inch bodylift. I run it, and its fine. There are probably 50 lifted toyotas running around my town (thats not a joke) and i promise you 90% if them run a 3 inch body lift. OO and if you get the more expensive kits, they come with EVEREYTHING you need.
Old 11-02-2007, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by Bskey
My body mounts are shot so I was going to install new ones....should I go ahead and throw in the 2inch ones? Like the OP was asking what's the downside of these? I already have a 4inch susp lift.. so I dont really need the height, but this might be the difference between 33's and 35's.
If your body mounts are shot, you'll have to get new ones before you install a body lift. Body lifts don't replace the body mounts, they simply sit on top of them. I had the hardest time figuring out how body lifts work I finally realized this and removed mine, so now I just have a 4" suspension lift.

You can fit 35"s with a 4" lift. You may need a bit more backspacing on the wheels, but my bet is you already have 3.00" to 4.00" backspacing on your current wheels, as this is what 95% of the lift manufacturers recommend for backspacing on 4" lifts. You should be fine. I'd worry more about gearing than lift.
Old 11-02-2007, 01:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MonsterMaxx
2"

3" body lifts have so much leverage the body will move around, eventually weakening the attachment points and in a 'crash' have been known to fail. If you hardcore wheel it the twisting of the chassis will also cause problems with large body lifts. Plus you run into problems with lines and such being too short. W/ a 2" there is enough that you don't need to replace anything (mostly loosening clamps and resetting.)
IMHO the 3" body lifts border on dangerous.

It's a lot of work for just an inch. I'd say that's a waste of time, but if that's what you want, go for it.
Completely false...

It's amazing how you can think that one more inch makes it unsafe. Is that because you have a 2 so 3 inch lifts suck or something?

I did a 3" and got everything I needed in the kit for like $119 iirc, (its been 11 years) and mine has been fine since I put it on. Every single line had enough slack to slide the body up including the brake lines and the fuel filler neck. The only things I had to extend were the shifters (included spacer welded in at a welding shop for me) and the steering (spacer block and new bolts included in kit). Everything else worked the way it was.

The safety of the lift is more in the components and the quality of the install than it is because of an inch either way. Not only that, but we drive lifted trucks and have to come to terms with the fact that they don't handle like corvettes. I have way more confidence in my body lift than I do in my bracket lift. Body lifts are cheap, safe, and very effective...

Does that answer your question as well Trustyrusty?
Old 11-02-2007, 01:13 PM

tranny lines

Btw, no tranny lines on a 5 speed truck.
Old 11-02-2007, 01:57 PM

I have a 88' 4runner with a 3" body lift and a automatic transmision, only problem we had was shift linkage adjustments. The rear bumper brackets mount to the body and the front bumper is simply adding the provide brackets. The hardest part is rolling back the carpet.
Old 11-02-2007, 02:14 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ovrrdrive
Completely false...

It's amazing how you can think that one more inch makes it unsafe. Is that because you have a 2 so 3 inch lifts suck or something?

I did a 3" and got everything I needed in the kit for like $119 iirc, (its been 11 years) and mine has been fine since I put it on. Every single line had enough slack to slide the body up including the brake lines and the fuel filler neck. The only things I had to extend were the shifters (included spacer welded in at a welding shop for me) and the steering (spacer block and new bolts included in kit). Everything else worked the way it was.

The safety of the lift is more in the components and the quality of the install than it is because of an inch either way. Not only that, but we drive lifted trucks and have to come to terms with the fact that they don't handle like corvettes. I have way more confidence in my body lift than I do in my bracket lift. Body lifts are cheap, safe, and very effective...

Does that answer your question as well Trustyrusty?
Old 11-02-2007, 06:08 PM
Banned

Ok... Hey Jay351 could you link me to your kit?

Oh, and same for you Ovvrdrive I wanna get one that has EVERYTHING included. Oh, and where can I get a steering spacer?

And I don't really know much about tranny's so I assumed it had some tranny lines or something...
Old 11-02-2007, 06:31 PM
CJM

2" is what I would run, it depends on where you live (rust country will mean it will have issues) and how you wheel. If your a mall crawler or light wheeler a body lift is fine, but 2" is best b/c you dont have to cut the shifter, dont have to extend the shifter and such-well you can but you dont have to..
Old 11-02-2007, 06:37 PM

^^ "if your a mall cralwer or a light wheeler a body lift is fine" ^^
I run a 3 inch body lift...you saying mine is a mall crawler? Please man...Unless you've RUN a 3 inch bodylift and you've had problems, dont say you shouldnt do it...or that if you do it your a mall crawler. Thats th eproblem with the internet..everybody has an opinion, but there opinions are based on what someother guy typed from his computer 3 months ago...70% or people who give an opinion have NO personal experiance with what they are voicing there opinion on.

To the OP...run the 3inch body lift dude. Check yuor bolts every once in a while to make sure they are tight.
Old 11-02-2007, 06:41 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Ok... Hey Jay351 could you link me to your kit?

Oh, and same for you Ovvrdrive I wanna get one that has EVERYTHING included. Oh, and where can I get a steering spacer?

And I don't really know much about tranny's so I assumed it had some tranny lines or something...
You can find lots of information on body lift kits, body mounts, etc. on the page below:
- http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/...l#Applications
Old 11-02-2007, 06:45 PM
CJM

Had body lift, not on a toyota but an older truck which we shall not name. Lets just say b/c I lived in the rust belt that 3 years later (the truck was already 10 years old) and it caused after alot of wheeling the body mounts to break. I find they are pointless unless you wanna stuff a bigger tire in with 0 flex. Hence, mall crawler or lite wheeler....wheel hard with them and they break, saw it last trip to rausch creek. All doneup 85 with dual cases and 26's had rust, body mount broke when he pushed it to hard..

It isnt like I am making this up, alot of toyotas have body mount rust or they are already weak-throw the body lift on your screwed later on.

I know plenty of people who run and plenty who dont, imho 3" is to much unless your looking to stuff tires in there and 2" is about perfect, 1" is pointless b/c you get zilch out of it. A buddy of mine has a 3" body lifted 88 yota truck He had to cut the shifter area out so he could use all the gears (b/c the body lift moved the thing, extend the shifters, cut out the body so he could use 4wd low and etc. However another buddy has a 2" and had to do nothing...

Now I wont argue and I wont attack you like you seem did to me. But I will tell you one thing, been wheeling a long time and I find what works for me doesnt work for everyone. However more than once have I seen and read about body lifts going bad. Just cause it works fine for you doesnt mean it does for everyone....

Last edited by CJM; 11-02-2007 at 06:47 PM.
Old 11-02-2007, 06:52 PM

I am gonna have a 3inch body lift forsale off my 88 pick for CHEEEEEEEEEP!!!

Iam takin it back to the frame rails!
Old 11-02-2007, 07:02 PM
Banned

How bout 50$ for it? What all does it include, what brand, and why did you take it off? Pics Please!

Also it looks like 4Crawler if I order from you I'll need Kit D with the heavy duty hardware, black as a custom color, front bumper bracket, radiator drop bracket, two shift lever extensions, the steering shaft extension, the bed spacers, and the installation notes. Im'a be broke soon... I might have to deal with you when I get my truck painted... And get bigger tires... I think it'd look funny with a 3" body lift and 28" tires...

Quick Reply: Body Lift!