86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Blower motor relay

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2016, 06:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blower motor relay

How can you tell if your relay is bad?Also will 95 tacoma relay fit into a 95 pickup? I keep blowing fuses and it has got to the point that its fried the fuse box some. A few days ago it stopped working and I checked the fuses and they are good. I am thinking its the relay. And answer or opinions will help. Thank you
Old 12-01-2016, 10:57 AM

Received 822 Likes on 649 Posts
So you just kept putting in more fuses, one after the other? Do you like to chat with firemen? (Am I correct, that you put in a larger fuse?)

Well, you test the relay just like any other. Your test for continuity between the 2 pins off by themselves (the coil). If you get something around 100 ohms (not infinite, not zero), you put 12v on it and listen for the click. Then you test for continuity between the other 3 pins when the relay is open and closed.

https://www.amazon.com/Purpose-Toyot...XPA/ref=sr_1_2 It's a VERY standard relay, so if the one from your Tacoma has the same pin-out it will work.

Meaning, you'll set your truck on fire.

You have an intermittent short somewhere. Perhaps from water leaking in. Or, you have something jamming the blower motor, so that when it gets jammed the fuse does what it's paid to do. I would make sure there is no junk in the blower motor, no water on the wiring, and no places in the wiring with questionable insulation.

And, of course, keep your Comprehensive insurance up to date.
Old 12-02-2016, 10:59 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
A lot of debris can get thru the cowl and down to the blower motor. I wonder if you have so much debris binding the blower motor or putting it under a strain that is melting your fuse box?

I am not sure if a Tacoma and an earlier model relay would interchange. I would compare the part numbers that are usually inked on the box. I would only replace it with correct year relay.