Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

bigblockyota

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 06:38 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by john rumbo
i believe marlin crawler has the parts to clutches adapters ect ye money is tite lately
Not sure if Marlin sell the adapters for it. Ill have to look into it. I was thinkin about just getting the AA and the centerforce clutch for it. I loved my marlin clutch for the 3.4 thats for sure. It was the best cutch I have ever felt!

Money is always the holdback isnt it?
Old 07-21-2008, 06:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am interested to see how you solve your cooling issues and how that much power wil affect the chasis. Is that thing caged?
I am currently working on my 88 p/u. Its getting a solid roller 468hp SBC.
Ive had 2 1st gen yotas with SBCs and cooling was always an issue, even in Minnesota.
Attached Thumbnails bigblockyota-eriks-pics-001.jpg  
Old 07-21-2008, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by toyota-erik
I am interested to see how you solve your cooling issues and how that much power wil affect the chasis. Is that thing caged?
Ive had 2 1st gen yotas with SBCs and cooling was always an issue, even in Minnesota.
That looks real nice

Minnesota ah? Ive got some family out there
Old 07-21-2008, 06:54 AM

18,999 original miles
Old 07-21-2008, 09:18 PM

hey eric very nice pics i love your engine the issue with the frame really i cant see one yet been checking by flexing the truck ect i was comparing it to a chevy and the toyota frame sims to be alot more durable compared to the chevy i had a blazer and those frames would twist right in front of your eyes toyota has not shown a lot of signs yet toyota has a box frame which are very durable and chevy is a open c cahannel style frame which will twist my cooling i think im gettin under control by the racing alluminum radiator a beleive its a 18 inch flex fan soon tobe a solid fan custume fan shroud 195 termestat to allow for more time to cool in addition a 14 inch electric fan in front of the radiator runs about 205-220 which is about what the 454 is suposed to run next test is rock climbing to find if this did it ill let you know
Old 07-21-2008, 09:22 PM

no its not caged yet as a freind said (SAFETY IS OVER RATED)
Old 07-21-2008, 09:25 PM

hey eric very nice pics i love your engine the issue with the frame really i cant see one yet been checking by flexing the truck ect i was comparing it to a chevy and the toyota frame sims to be alot more durable compared to the chevy i had a blazer and those frames would twist right in front of your eyes toyota has not shown a lot of signs yet toyota has a box frame which are very durable and chevy is a open c cahannel style frame which will twist my cooling i think im gettin under control by the racing alluminum radiator a beleive its a 18 inch flex fan soon tobe a solid fan custume fan shroud 195 termestat to allow for more time to cool in addition a 14 inch electric fan in front of the radiator runs about 205-220 which is about what the 454 is suposed to run next test is rock climbing to find if this did it ill let you know
alright thats what i am talking about. nothing like a good old mechanical fan to do the job. plus that back up fan. louvers in the hood might be a option if you are still running into heat problems.
Old 07-21-2008, 09:43 PM

no at this point seems to be good but ill see the next trip to the mountains cant wait ill show abetter pic of the engine compartment later
Old 07-22-2008, 04:24 AM

the issue with the frame really i cant see one yet been checking by flexing the truck ect i was comparing it to a chevy and the toyota frame sims to be alot more durable compared to the chevy i had a blazer and those frames would twist right in front of your eyes toyota has not shown a lot of signs yet toyota has a box frame which are very durable and chevy is a open c cahannel style frame which will twist know
There's no doubt the boxed yota frame is stiffer than the Chevy but im not as confident that stiffer = stronger. Hell, a pine 2x4 is stiffer than a Chevy frame. I've had to go back and replate where my upper links attach to the frame on my 81.

Like I said, I've had 1st gen yotas with mild SBC and its never been an issue but your BBC is heavier and pushing a LOT more torque as well. Keep a close eye where stuff is bolted/welded to the frame.

Another mistake I made before was having almost solid motor mounts and a factory style flexable t-case mount. Im pretty sure thats how I busted my tranny housing.

Last edited by toyota-erik; 07-22-2008 at 05:24 AM.
Old 07-22-2008, 06:26 AM

There's no doubt the boxed yota frame is stiffer than the Chevy but im not as confident that stiffer = stronger. Hell, a pine 2x4 is stiffer than a Chevy frame. I've had to go back and replate where my upper links attach to the frame on my 81.

Like I said, I've had 1st gen yotas with mild SBC and its never been an issue but your BBC is heavier and pushing a LOT more torque as well. Keep a close eye where stuff is bolted/welded to the frame.

Another mistake I made before was having almost solid motor mounts and a factory style flexable t-case mount. Im pretty sure thats how I busted my tranny housing.
on my truck all mounting points are custum built out of 1/4 inch steel my truck was ifs its a 88 4runner so i have a custum 1 ton sas swap so all brackets and mounting points are very strong its not stock i have 1 ton motormounts and chevy 205 style tranny mounts and i used toyota crossmember because it did look alot stronger than the chevy and more easier to work with in mounting the crossmember
Old 07-22-2008, 09:09 AM

Sounds like that will hold up.
FYI; even though Im from Minnesota, Im pretty familiar with Casa Grande. My granda lived in the La Pasada Trailer park and I stayed there a month a year as a kid. Still have family in the area so I usually make it there once a year.
In fact, I might even be there in a couple weeks.
Old 07-22-2008, 08:14 PM

i was wonderin which trailer park is that im not for sure about that name
Old 07-22-2008, 08:16 PM

im sorry is that across from the junior highschool
Old 07-23-2008, 03:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool TRUCK dude........... and I gotta say I'm shocked at the replies to this thread.... There are usually more haters when you leave yota engines.... GOOD JOB MAN!!
Old 07-23-2008, 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by Robrt32
There are usually more haters when you leave yota engines....
They can hate all they want, but can they catch him???
Old 07-23-2008, 05:39 AM

im sorry is that across from the junior highschool
Yea, Im pretty sure its still there
Old 07-23-2008, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by Robrt32
Cool TRUCK dude........... and I gotta say I'm shocked at the replies to this thread.... There are usually more haters when you leave yota engines.... GOOD JOB MAN!!
thanks robert i think this is what happens when you seperate the adults from the kids you have mature conversation that every one can enjoy and learn from at first had a fews haters but i believe i lost them in the conversations luckly
Old 07-23-2008, 07:48 AM

Yea, Im pretty sure its still there
hey erik hey i do know where that is at thats cool so far away and still know about this sht hole casagrande well if you come down this way hit me up we can have a descusion maybe a beer , maybe a trailride
Old 07-23-2008, 09:02 AM

sounds good. I will have the Yota with me.
Casa Grande aint that bad. Now Eloy on the other hand.....
Old 07-23-2008, 03:55 PM

sounds good

Quick Reply: bigblockyota