Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Best way to get wires into doors in 88 Pickup!

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2006, 06:33 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Best way to get wires into doors in 88 Pickup!

Hi guys, I just bought a set of Kappa 6.5" speakers to replace the crap Pioneers that I put in my doors a few years ago. My truck is a 1988 that does not have power windows so my truck didn’t have wire in the doors to begin with so I drilled holes in the jams and ran it through but its a mess from being pinched. Is there a better way to get wire into the doors that I’m not seeing??!! I’m thinking about running it between the door panel and the kick panel and not even run it through the jam because they keep pinching them . Any input would be greatly appreciated! Matt
Old 09-05-2006, 07:35 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The best way would probably be the way the factory did it.
If you look at the hinge post [bottom of the A-pillar] you will see a flat round spot [about size of 50 cent piece] about a bit below the top hinge, this is where the boot for the power goodies would come in to the truck there is a coresponding flat spot on the door. You could drill a small hole in these two places and run you speaker wire through there. I would go with a slightly oversize speaker wire [for added durability] perhaps something that the stereo shop would use for a marine [boat] install. To protect the wire and body pick up a couple of rubber wiring gromitts from an electronics supply shop. feed the wire through these and then into the truck/door make sure you leave a little extra wire so the speaker line is not under tension when the door is open. When you push the gromits into the body/door a tiny dab of urethane sealant will glue the gromit in and protect from rust.
note: the gromit should be small enough to provide a snug fit on the wire, tell the supply shop the size of wire you a running if concerned about this.

Hope this helped. Cheers Aviator
Old 09-05-2006, 06:17 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had to run wires for my power locks and i went out of the kick panels and low into the side of the door. I drilled holes just big enough to fit wires and i wrapped all the wires with electrical tape and used grommets. You cant even tell they are aftermarket.