86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

The Ball Joint spacer/Cruiser Coil - Longer Shock P/N thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2004, 05:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Ball Joint spacer/Cruiser Coil - Longer Shock P/N thread

OK, the balljoint spacers and Cruiser coils have been on some rigs for a while and longer shocks help you get the most of the combo. Everyone running this setup chime in with your shock make and P/N.

I haven't installed mine yet cause I want new shocks ready to go when I do the install. Looking for input from everyone.
Old 09-26-2004, 09:21 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would really like to know this info too please!
Thanks
Old 09-27-2004, 02:40 AM

I've emailed ARB about what their recommendation might be. I'm looking at their remote reservoir shocks - probably overkill, but we'll see what they say.

EDIT: By ARB, I mean OME shocks...
Old 09-27-2004, 06:02 AM

Front is Rancho 5167. Stocker for a 4wd Samurai.

Rear is Rancho 5009. Pretty much the longest shock you can run with a pin on the top.

I would look hard and ditching the panhard so one could hack out the lower part of the cross member and run a shock hoop like a pickup.
Old 09-29-2004, 06:22 PM
Sponsoring Vendor

Originally Posted by Cebby
OK, the balljoint spacers and Cruiser coils have been on some rigs for a while and longer shocks help you get the most of the combo. Everyone running this setup chime in with your shock make and P/N.

I haven't installed mine yet cause I want new shocks ready to go when I do the install. Looking for input from everyone.

I installed mine last Thursday night. Easy install if you pull the axle. I know you asked for feed back on cruiser coils but I am running OME 1.5 hd springs with OME shocks frt/rr. Sway-away 25mm t-bar, 33x12.5 procomps xterrains on chrome rock crawlers. Before the spacer install I had rubbing and the t-bars cranked to tight. Now everything works great. I agree with some of the other posts about stock t-bars are all you really need. Im still a little stiff. If you have any question about the spacer install let me know. I would be happy to help.
Old 09-29-2004, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by strap22
I installed mine last Thursday night. Easy install if you pull the axle. I know you asked for feed back on cruiser coils but I am running OME 1.5 hd springs with OME shocks frt/rr. Sway-away 25mm t-bar, 33x12.5 procomps xterrains on chrome rock crawlers. Before the spacer install I had rubbing and the t-bars cranked to tight. Now everything works great. I agree with some of the other posts about stock t-bars are all you really need. Im still a little stiff. If you have any question about the spacer install let me know. I would be happy to help.
Do you have part numbers for the shocks? Are these shocks for a lifted application?

I heard back from ARB on the OME LTR's. They don't have an application that will work for us...
Old 09-29-2004, 08:35 PM
Contributing Member

I went with Procomp 3000's up front with the BJ spacers. In back I am still running my KYB's. For the $28 a piece I am very happy with them both on and off road. The part # is 317514, they are for a 4 inch toyota lift. I also bought the bolt on steering stabilizer they offer.

Not bad for 2nd gen IFS

Last edited by Marc P; 09-29-2004 at 08:41 PM. Reason: added pic
Old 09-30-2004, 04:54 AM
Sponsoring Vendor

Originally Posted by Cebby
Do you have part numbers for the shocks? Are these shocks for a lifted application?

I heard back from ARB on the OME LTR's. They don't have an application that will work for us...
The fronts are #N92, the rear are N72F, The springs are OME901. And yes they are for lifted applications. You can inquire at info@TRDparts4u.com. We are an ARB, OME wholesaler as well as TRD, Toyota Dealer. The Steering Dampner for this application is #OMESD33. Hope this helps.

Last edited by Strap22; 09-30-2004 at 07:27 AM.
Old 09-30-2004, 07:54 AM

So with completely cranked bars you had rubbing issues, but when you installed the spacers and gained travel, you had no rubbing?

With 25mm bars, an ARB with winch and the bars relaxed so there is no exposed thread on the adjustor, I have no apparent rubbing at full compression with low profile bumpstops and no swaybar. Yes my fender seam is trimmed and flattened, but I have not removed any part of the true fender.
Old 09-30-2004, 04:43 PM
Sponsoring Vendor

Originally Posted by Flygtenstein
So with completely cranked bars you had rubbing issues, but when you installed the spacers and gained travel, you had no rubbing?

With 25mm bars, an ARB with winch and the bars relaxed so there is no exposed thread on the adjustor, I have no apparent rubbing at full compression with low profile bumpstops and no swaybar. Yes my fender seam is trimmed and flattened, but I have not removed any part of the true fender.
My rubbing was at the fender seam on lock to lock turning. And no the t-bars still had a turn or two left but at that point it didn't matter. It still was like having two steel rods for shocks. The seam is the only place I had any rubbing. I too had to trim the edge. But Im puzzled because I installed new adjusters and bolts and I have about an 1 1/4" of exposed thread. No additional weight up front yet. What size tires are you running? I'm running 33x12.5 on 10' wheels. I'd like to hear more about your setup.
Old 09-30-2004, 04:47 PM

33" MT/R's on 8 inch wide wheels. There is a 1" bodylift, but that does not much matter for suspension's sake.

Do you have an IFS lift? That is a lot of wheel either way.
Old 09-30-2004, 04:54 PM
Sponsoring Vendor

33" MT/R's on 8 inch wide wheels. There is a 1" bodylift, but that does not much matter for suspension's sake.

Do you have an IFS lift? That is a lot of wheel either way.
??? Im not sure what you are asking.
Old 09-30-2004, 05:08 PM
Contributing Member

Hey strap, do you have anymore pics of your rig?
Thanks
Old 09-30-2004, 05:44 PM

He's asking if you have a 4"-5" drop bracket lift kit like Pro Comp or Superlift, etc.

Front is Rancho 5167. Stocker for a 4wd Samurai.
This is what I'm using and seems to work great.
Old 09-30-2004, 06:05 PM
Sponsoring Vendor

Originally Posted by BeaterToyota
He's asking if you have a 4"-5" drop bracket lift kit like Pro Comp or Superlift, etc.

This is what I'm using and seems to work great.
No, just cranked the t-bars and added bj spacers and shocks.
Old 09-30-2004, 06:58 PM
Sponsoring Vendor

Originally Posted by 914runner
Hey strap, do you have anymore pics of your rig?
Thanks
only two that are ready to post. heres one more.

Last edited by Strap22; 09-30-2004 at 07:04 PM.
Old 09-30-2004, 08:57 PM

Wher did you purchase the ball joint spacers or did you fab them up. How thick are the spacers.
thanks
Old 10-01-2004, 04:42 AM
Sponsoring Vendor

Originally Posted by Big blue truck
Wher did you purchase the ball joint spacers or did you fab them up. How thick are the spacers.
thanks
I purchased from Frank at http://www.sdori.com/. They are 1.5" thick. They are very easy to install but do require some trimming of the upper control arm. I am very impressed with the quality. Best $$$ I have spent so far.
Old 01-10-2005, 09:32 AM
Contributing Member

Installed my balljoint spacers over the weekend !

Everything went pretty smoothly if you discount the fact that I sheared the top pin off of both my Rancho shocks (nuts were rusted solid and a week worth of soaking them w/PB Blaster didn't work) . So I installed the stock shocks which of course I still had laying around the garage (you never know when you're going to need that original thing-a-ma-gig that you removed from the truck ten years ago!!). The stock shocks are not very happy up there and the drivers side wheel pulls when I hit a bump in the road. I'm hoping this is due to the front end being out of alignment. Its a bit un-nerving but at least I made it to work.

Did everybody get an alignment done after doing this mod?

I have an ARB winch bumper on the way and I would like to get it installed with new shocks before doing an alignment.

One other thing, I think the driver's side axle pulled out of the slip joint next to the diff. When you disconnect the upper ball joint and raise up the upper A-arm, the wheel assembly rotates out and away from the diff until the brake line stops it. After I got the A-arm trimmed and was attempting to put things back together, the wheel assembly would not move back in towards the diff. I tried moving the axle up and down, left and right with no luck. Finally, I grabbed the wheel studs and after turning the axle just slightly it slipped back in and everthing bolted back together with no further issues. My only concern here is the shop manual description of front axle removal shows a diagram with match marks made on the end of the axle and the slip yoke. Since I have no idea if the axle went back in the position it came out from is this a problem??

Strap22 if you happen to read this is when you said "Easy install if you pull the axle"? did you mean what I'm describing above or did you mean to unbolt the end of the axle at the diff with the CV boots intact etc. and then bolt it back together.
Old 01-10-2005, 10:59 AM
Contributing Member

The fronts are #N92, the rear are N72F, The springs are OME901. And yes they are for lifted applications. You can inquire at info@TRDparts4u.com. We are an ARB, OME wholesaler as well as TRD, Toyota Dealer. The Steering Dampner for this application is #OMESD33. Hope this helps.
Strap,

Are you still happy with your front shocks? I was thinking about ordering some of the OME #N92s and a steering dampner unless you have some negative feedback. Do these shocks have a metal sleeve in the lower mounting point like the stock shocks so you can properly torque the bolt? The sleeve that came with the Rancho 9000s I had was too small for the stock mounting bolt so I didn't use it and the shocks rattled all the time.

Last edited by PAhydrohead; 01-10-2005 at 11:15 AM.

Quick Reply: The Ball Joint spacer/Cruiser Coil - Longer Shock P/N thread