86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

bad tps?PLEASE HELP

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 12:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tps problem??????????

If the TPS were having an issue, would the cel be on, MY symptoms include high idle, slight shifting issues, it seems to idle higher when warmed up, and also seems to idle alittle higher when the a/c compressor is engaged.
Old 02-23-2009, 01:35 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by lennyb3us
If the TPS were having an issue, would the cel be on, MY symptoms include high idle, slight shifting issues, it seems to idle higher when warmed up, and also seems to idle alittle higher when the a/c compressor is engaged.
I think this is at least the third TPS thread I have seen posted in the past few days.
I cannot emphasize the "Search" feature enough - this site is so vast in it's resources it's a shame to not try and utilize it.

When my TPS was going bad it wouldn't necessarily idle either high or low - inconsistency was my biggest symptom.
Also, your engine is going to idle higher with your A/C on because it has to be able to power the compressor in order to cool your air.

Please do a search for "TPS problem" or the like and see what results you come up with.
If for some reason you aren't able to find the answers you're looking for, then I encourage you to post back up here and we will do what we can to help.

Thanks,

Fink
Old 02-25-2009, 05:11 PM

bad tps?PLEASE HELP

I have pulled the throttle body and cleaned it, cleaned out the aux. air valve. retarded the timing, flushed the coolant system to make sure there were no air pockets in the coolant lines. the idle always seems to be around 2000 rpm's after it's been driven and around 1100-1200 in gear. any direction would be greatly appreciated
Old 02-25-2009, 05:24 PM

22re?

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/TPS/index.shtml

/
Old 02-25-2009, 05:30 PM

89 3.0 efi auto
Old 02-25-2009, 05:34 PM

This just shows how to test it . Read the 2nd one down

http://www.autozone.com/shopping/rep...00c15280060de7
Old 02-25-2009, 05:40 PM

I can't find it, the idle does not change when I disconnect the tps, like I said it seems to have the same idle no matter what I do.
Old 02-25-2009, 06:01 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Run a search on TPS. Lots and lots of threads covering the testing of it with links how to do it on the 3.0.

If you're not familiar with using an ohm meter and just want to take a sort of quicker, simple route, go to auto zone, buy whatever tps they offer, tell them you're not sure if that's the problem but want to have it on hand just in case, plug it in and see if it works. If not, take it back for your money. If it does....well, then you'll have to learn to use the ohm meter to set the new one. Or, even the old one since you have to put it back on. Either way....haha...time to use the ohm meter....enghck.

Generally, if disconnect the tps affects nothing, it means it is bad. You'll just need to do some searching on the forum and go to town with it.
Old 02-25-2009, 06:16 PM

Thanks I appreciate the info
Old 02-25-2009, 06:17 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
or loosen the TPS and rotate it the same direction the throttle moves when you press the pedal... then rotate it the opposite direction until you "just" hear the idle speed change to a lower RPM- have to do it with the throttle closed.
Old 02-25-2009, 06:24 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd also vouch for the TPS adjustment. I just did mine after having some idle issues and they almost all went away. Under some circumstances my idle will go back, but that's very rare.

Just stop by autozone and get some small alligator clips and feeler gauges and test the TPS. Takes about 10 mintues.
Old 03-03-2009, 10:13 AM

Tps, I know, Iknow million threads already.

I've tested the tps and have purchased a new oem one. When installing the new sensor the tabs should be set so that when the throttle opens it puts tension on the spring in the tps is this right? please help.
Old 03-03-2009, 11:12 AM

TPS, I know I've already searched

I've purchased a new tps and just had one question about the install.the tabs from the sensorshould be set so that when the throttle opens it puts tension on the spring in the tps does this sound right? plEASE HELP
Old 03-03-2009, 01:16 PM

It should just install the way that the old one came off. If you are having to turn the TPS and put tension on it to install then you have the wrong TPS. There are 2 different ones and the tabs are 90 degrees rotated. Compair with your old one.
Old 03-03-2009, 01:25 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The TPS is spring loaded so you cannot guarantee the orientation in which it came off is the orientation it should be installed.
I position the connector on TPS rotated 90 degrees from the orientation it came off, in the direction of throttle shaft rotation when you step on the throttle, then slide it on the shaft and rotate it the other way so that I know the tabs on the throttle shaft engage the sensor on the proper side. Then I proceed to do what's necessary to adjust the sensor.
Old 03-03-2009, 02:00 PM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
lennyb3us

You had (4) threads on your TPS issues, now all merged into one, if you have more TPS questions please continue and post them in this thread. DO NOT start another one on TPS. Thank you.

Old 03-03-2009, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by lennyb3us
I've tested the tps and have purchased a new oem one. When installing the new sensor the tabs should be set so that when the throttle opens it puts tension on the spring in the tps is this right? please help.
Yes, this is correct, Lenny. This is the only way the needle in the TPS can follow the direction of the throttle plate when it opens and returns. Note also that the flat side of the tangs in the back of the TPS should be against the metal ones on the throttle. Does this help? Have you figured it out or do you need more help?
Old 03-05-2009, 04:55 AM

Still trying

I have installed the new tps, the link that I have seen in hear a million times is for the 22re, I have the 3.0 vrze. It's an 89 4runner, auto. are the adjustments the same for these as far as the tps goes?
Old 03-05-2009, 05:41 AM

Never mind figured it out
Old 03-05-2009, 06:51 AM

Good for you. I'm kinda surprised no one posted a link to the FSM for the 3.0 for you to see. Then again, I could've posted it....hehe. Well, it's also on the front page of the forum under stickies "links to FSM's".

So, how's it running, then?

Quick Reply: bad tps?PLEASE HELP