86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Back window gave out, HELP !!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 02:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Back window gave out, HELP !!!!

I know it was bound to happen, so here goes.

I was rolling into work this morning in the runner "1994 SR5 4WD 4Clyn Auto", and i use my switch in the center console to lower the rear window, then boom... the window goes down about 1 inch, slightly cocked to one side. Here's what i found through the quick troublshooting i did in the parking lot;

-There is power going to the motor in rear window, as i can hear the motor turning, but nothing is happening.

-I can move the window by hand, up or down, just by pushing on it with the palms of my hands "the window is free as a bird", and about halfway down, it starts to bottom out or grind on somthing, so i returned it to the up position.

I know there is an arm that rides on a track, that moves the window up or down via the motor "which works" and i'm leaning towards that... but guys/gals i realy need a fix on this as it's my primary vehicle... and i love the back end being able to open up.

Any links for specific parts/instructions, please help me out by posting them for me, when i get to work on this i will take pic's all the way so i can post them, and give somthing back to the forum.

Thanks Everyone....

Skinnadoor
Old 07-03-2008, 02:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you need to take the inside of the tailgate apart and look at the gear thats on the motor mine did the same thing and it was the gear on the motor that striped out you can take the gear off the motor and replace it but its easier to just replace the motor it self but thats just what was wrong with mine so check it out and let us know man
Old 07-03-2008, 03:34 PM

For sure, it's comming apart tommorow to see what's up...thanks for the info. How much was your motor if you mind me asking?
Old 07-03-2008, 03:36 PM

he he 20 bucks at a junk yard but that was with a owners manule and a gauge cluster and the cruse control box to so not sure but i say about 20-30 bucks and 3 bolts but spray them and go slow they snap easy trust me thats why i just did the gear cause the new motor broke two bolts in it
Old 07-07-2008, 10:47 AM

Update, Rear Window what i found

Hey everyone....

I took off the pannel off the tail gate, and found the busted part, which looks to be a track, that's rusted and snapped... The motor gears look fine but i'm not sure what to do now..... here's some pics,,

in the tail gate, on the left hand side is were i found this....

More pics of the part....

Nevermind, i got her rigged closed, with cardboard shims...

The other half of the track.......

One of my window defog lead's looks like it got ripped off when the window failed and collapsed.

So how hard is it to replace this track?????

Last edited by skinnadoor; 07-07-2008 at 12:36 PM.
Old 07-07-2008, 03:33 PM

on man thats not good looks like the part at the botom of the window i think can you pull the window all the way out? and if so maybe you can try some really good super strong glue and put it back on or do what i do use the key and dont put the tail gate back together

roll the window up a lil bit reach in and put the little wheel thingy at the end of the arm and set the glass on it and lift the window up with the key i have a plexi rear window so i dont know if it would brake the rear glass on ya though
Old 07-09-2008, 05:25 PM

PIC's Added, BTT !

BTT, come on peeps !!!
Old 07-09-2008, 05:56 PM

Get some new tracks from toyota, they are very cheap. Installation of the tracks to the window is a bit harder as its tricky trying not to break the glass becuase of how tight they fit, i used a little bit of hair spray to slip.
Old 07-11-2008, 02:16 AM

Originally Posted by sleaz22xx
Get some new tracks from toyota, they are very cheap. Installation of the tracks to the window is a bit harder as its tricky trying not to break the glass becuase of how tight they fit, i used a little bit of hair spray to slip.

Will call Toyota today, there is a sticker/partnumber on both of them... do you know if there's any other attatching hardware i will need aside from the tracks?

Thanks !!