86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

ARB vs Aussie locker front and rear?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2017, 12:53 PM
RJR

Received 109 Likes on 81 Posts
Unless you are going to be doing really serious rockcrawling,(in which case you need to add sliders, a lift, 33-35 inch tires, and a crawl box), you do not need a locker in the front if you have one in the rear. Simply do the rear selectable, and leave the front alone. I only offered the front Aussie suggestion as a cheap way to get some good off-road capability. The rear selectable is better if you have the money, and that's all you need.
Old 12-12-2017, 08:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thank you guys for sticking with me through this. After doing more research, I honestly think that I’ll go with the ARB locker in the rear and leave the front alone for now. My reason being is that I can’t find a selectable electric locker for the front other than OEM styles out of newer trucks that will be more work/modification than I will be willing to do to this truck.
I figure if I just bite the bullet and drop the $1300 on the ARB rear and compressor now, then at a later date I can get one of those RD90’s for the 7.5 front and add gears if I find wheeling buddies, have time and really get into it.
I’ll keep looking and if an electric front locker for the 7.5 comes out in the next few months or I hear of one aftermarket, I’ll skip the air and go electric. The fact that all oems use electric rather that air is telling.
However, with a small built in air compressor and a winch...a bag of tools and an air line repair kit would suffice I’d think as well if any of the weak points of an air locker vs an electric locker were to fail on the trail.