Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

ARB compressor mounting locations

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2008, 02:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Matt16
Sent to me. I'll mount it for you, in my truck.
ha-ha-ha....sure. It'd be more of a hassle to ship all that crap than to install it but thanks for the offer.
Old 05-30-2008, 02:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After looking at my filthy engine bay, I wouldnt want it anywhere under the hood!
Old 05-30-2008, 02:32 PM

Have you guys with the ARB compressors had problems with leakage?
Old 05-31-2008, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by Whitey13
Have you guys with the ARB compressors had problems with leakage?
I've heard the solenoids can go out & leak & if you don't put a check valve in line between the lockers & the compressor the back pressure will leak through the pump when it's not running - that is normal for most compressors though.

Use a check valve & manual switches & it should be fairly bullet proof.
Old 06-01-2008, 12:43 PM

wow there really small how do guys not find places???

i have a 87 so its a first gen

-rear cargo spot where the jack is
-behind rear seat infront of rool bar
-take clovebox apart mount there put glovebox cover back on
-under truck where spare tyre goes with skid plate
-behind front grill
-under pass side front seat
-inside center console
-under rear seat (on 2nd gens i heard there big there)
-inside rear tail gate
-behind any of the inside panels (door, and rear seating area)
-under the intake where the ac compressor goes (on 22re)
-on drivers side fender under hood
-pass side fender under hood
-driver side front fender area (battery mock-up)
-if you dont ever wanna hear it ever and you have a sub box

-inside the subwoofer box (still sealed or ported)

my list can go on and on and on and if you give me the size of it i can make a carbord box and fit it anywhere and everywhere i can find and take pics
Old 06-02-2008, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by just a 22re
wow there really small how do guys not find places???

i have a 87 so its a first gen

Well Mines a 2nd gen. but a lot will still apply:

-rear cargo spot where the jack is = noise

-behind rear seat infront of rool bar = noise

-take clovebox apart mount there put glovebox cover back on = no glove box

-under truck where spare tyre goes with skid plate = my spare is there but it would be possible

-behind front grill = no room

-under pass side front seat = noise

-inside center console = my 4Runner is equipped w/ a rear heater, no room

-under rear seat (on 2nd gens i heard there big there) = not big enough I checked & my jack is there

-inside rear tail gate = I honestly never though to look there; I assume the window mechanism would be in the way

-behind any of the inside panels (door, and rear seating area) = I thought about behind the panels, no room without cutting sheet metal

-under the intake where the ac compressor goes (on 22re) = 3.0

-on drivers side fender under hood = the only logical choice on a 2nd gen. that I can see

-pass side fender under hood = no room without moving factory placements of electrics

-driver side front fender area (battery mock-up) = no room

-inside the subwoofer box (still sealed or ported) = LOL...no subs in my truck

Originally Posted by just a 22re
my list can go on and on and on and if you give me the size of it i can make a carbord box and fit it anywhere and everywhere i can find and take pics

Thanks but that won't be necessary; it isn't as small as you seem to think it is though. Plus you have plumbing concerns; it doesn't get the air to the lockers by osmosis (joke) & it has to get good air circulation. It doesn't matter anyway; I settled on putting the compressor on the drivers side fender well by the cruise control & brake MC a while back. It'll just be easier that way, I'd like something custom but lets face it, I'm too lazy to worry with it.
Old 06-02-2008, 07:20 PM

yeah i though they run pretty quiet so i didnt know about that and as far as the rear tail gate i though the 2nd gens rear window went up oh god now that i think about it they all go down into the tailgate and the newer ones the whole tail gate goes up not down ok and yeah i forgot and or didnt knwo of a few things about them

-loudness
-heat
-and size

i forgot anout that pluming thats easy but yeah how abou tthis one next to the gas tank? or even on the other side of the driveshaft but still in the lines of the tank? i guess i just have to see one of these pumps for the first time to see what they look like and the size up front and yeha i though they were quiet running pumps sorry but now i know
Old 06-03-2008, 07:03 AM

I don't know how loud these ARB compressors are going to be either! My wifes Lincoln town car had a compressor for the air ride system.....I don't know where that compressor was but it was loud for few seconds when you started the vehicle & periodically came on with changes in weight (passengers getting in etc.); personally I found it annoying.
Old 06-03-2008, 07:09 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Name:  IMG_2677.jpg
Views: 1855
Size:  68.7 KB

Thats where mine is mounted, thats where the abs crap goes, but since i dont have abs i got room.
Old 06-03-2008, 12:30 PM

Ran into my first & hopefully last problem; besides the unbearable heat that is - The rear diff I got from the builder has nowhere for the speed sensor.

I was under the impression that it was gonna be a direct "drop in" replacement, being my first Toyota diff to mess with & all I had no idea this problem could present itself - now what the hell do I do?

Drill & tap with all new GD (<----profanity) bearings, ring & pinion & ARB unit all set up in the housing & ready to go?

I think I'll go throw things & cuss for a little while; if anyone has a brilliant idea please post up.
Old 06-03-2008, 12:50 PM

DOH! I'm guessing your meaning the Rear ABS speed sensor :-/ that stinks.. I have no idea if you could drill/tap that hole in the right spot or not, plus the shavings inside I'll b sure to curse a bit for you as well
Old 06-03-2008, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by Workhorse
DOH! I'm guessing your meaning the Rear ABS speed sensor :-/ that stinks.. I have no idea if you could drill/tap that hole in the right spot or not, plus the shavings inside I'll b sure to curse a bit for you as well
Yup; the ABS speed sensor.
Old 06-03-2008, 01:23 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by ovrrdrive
Mine's not an ARB but I had an even bigger challenge with the slightly larger Viair 380C and a 3 gallon air tank. I just bought a used tool box for $40 from the classified ads and threw it all in there. It works fine, stays dry and secure, and I can barely hear it from in the cab.

nice setup; that's what I'm doing just for mobile air... it's why I just installed my second bettery in my tool box in my other thread
Old 06-03-2008, 01:50 PM

Well, it looks like completely unplugging that sensor is my only logical course of action (GD it).....I've looked & thought & I can't think of anything else to do. I don't know jack *SENSORED* about how ABS systems work so I hope unplugging the danged thing doesn't screw up anything or cause me to have rotten braking power. I've got my fingers crossed it'll be unnoticeable except for a dummy light on the dash. Lord willin' & the river don't rise.

On a side note, this problem has cost me the same amount of time as removing the rear third to begin with - 3 hours....& I still haven't gotten the darned thing unplugged yet; it's a pita to reach & crusted with road grime.
Old 06-12-2008, 04:52 PM

Well, I got it all together (pretty much). Mounted my compressor by the master cylinder & pressure tested it for 20 minutes & it never kicked on again. It was too hot to wait outside for it to eventually come on.....I figure it's good for now.

I got the ABS dummy light like I figured I would so I unplugged the 15amp ABS fuse. Does anyone know if anything else is on that circuit?

I haven't hooked up my rear ARB to air yet because when I was installing the front diff it took a header off the floor jack & after a half gainer it landed right on the brass bulkhead fitting & mangled it. So; since it's such a BEE-ATCH to get to, I stole the one outta the rear & capped it until I can get a replacement sent.

I haven't got my dash back together yet, still scratching my head about whether or not the three switches will fit above the dash light dimmer switch & look right (I.E. - stock). But so far so good.

The only problems I ran into were - my anti-lock brake sensor - the bulkhead destruction - the front bulkhead wasn't drilled over quite far enough towards the passenger side even though there was room & now it's smooshed up against the oil pan; future problem site I'm sure, I plan to drop the front diff & use a wooden block & a hammer to clearance it on the oil pan (fingers crossed) - & the ARB solenoids came assembled....why was that a problem you ask? Well it wasn't really but like most men I didn't really follow the instructions & since they were already assembled I stuck them on, well.....someone at ARB thought it'd be a hoot to put them together backwards I guess LOL; so once I hit the switch & heard the whoosh of air out the exhaust I knew what was up & had to take the solenoids off & reassemble one last time the right way 'round.

So as of now I have 37 miles on my new 4.88's & I'm just waiting for the new bulkhead kit to arrive from Marlin Crawler. I ordered it Monday & paid for 2 day air shipping & it still hasn't arrived, no email notification or tracking either & they didn't answer my PM to the sales lady...beginning to wonder about that since I desperately need the darned thing.

So far so good though. A big Thanks to DTB for the great deal on the diffs, ARB's & install through his man Victor.

If anyone knows about the ABS circuit please let me know!

Last edited by Brenjen; 06-12-2008 at 04:55 PM.
Old 06-12-2008, 08:55 PM

i have been reading this and i was wondering it anyone has thought or tried to put the compressor in the rear tool storage comparments right unter the rear side windows behind the fenderwell? Seems like a good place seeings how it is inside the truck, out of harms way and you could always cut air slots in the panel to keep the heat off of the compressor. might be an idea....
Old 06-13-2008, 08:46 AM

Yeah i thought about it & I discounted it because the wiring loom wouldn't be long enough #1 & #2 the noise of having that rather loud compressor anywhere inside the vehicle would be annoying; for me at least.

That 4Runner in your avatar looks just like mine. A lot of people don't like that Toyota garnet red but I think it looks good.

EDIT: still wondering if pulling that rear anti-lock brake fuse is going to affect anything else; I can't read a wiring diagram to save my life so any help with that would be appreciated.

Last edited by Brenjen; 06-13-2008 at 08:48 AM.
Old 06-13-2008, 07:52 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Alex 400
i have been reading this and i was wondering it anyone has thought or tried to put the compressor in the rear tool storage comparments right unter the rear side windows behind the fenderwell? Seems like a good place seeings how it is inside the truck, out of harms way and you could always cut air slots in the panel to keep the heat off of the compressor. might be an idea....
I did this on my 3rd Gen. Full thread HERE
Old 06-13-2008, 08:00 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
double post

Last edited by toy_tek; 06-13-2008 at 08:06 PM.
Old 06-14-2008, 05:00 AM

How can you stand the noise of having that thing in the cab? My CKMA12 is L-O-U-D! Even under the hood it's still startling to people who aren't expecting it ( I tested it on strangers in parking lots yesterday & my wife & kids )

Quick Reply: ARB compressor mounting locations