86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

ARB compressor mounting locations

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 01:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ARB compressor mounting locations

Getting my ARB system together; I bought the bigger of the two ARB compressors & would like to see decent pics of where others have mounted their compressors. I don't care even if it's not under the hood, I'd just like to get my mind started with mounting ideas, if someone has one that's really trick & I steal it I'll be sure to credit them anytime it comes up in conversation.

I'd also like to hear from anyone who has fabbed up a system that can use a powertank as a back up to the compressor without a lot of re-plumbing out on a trail. Something quick or already plumbed if you get what I'm trying to say.
Old 04-18-2008, 01:24 PM
Contributing Member

well for a location when i get mine i am removing my rear heater and mounting the compressor there OR i will mount it behind the frame rail under the cargo area so it is protected and then simply just build a skid around the compressor to enhance protection. same location is often used on 4runner with a powertank, behind the framerail under the cargo hold.
Old 04-18-2008, 01:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Brenjen
I'd also like to hear from anyone who has fabbed up a system that can use a powertank as a back up to the compressor without a lot of re-plumbing out on a trail. Something quick or already plumbed if you get what I'm trying to say.
Use something like the Slee manifold to connect your pressure switches instead of connecting directly to the ARB compressor.

Run your pressure switches/lines, quick connects, gauges to a "central " manifold. Have 1 or 2 ports for the air source (Compressor or Co2 tank)

The back up Co2 source could be as simple as a 9-12 oz paintball tank or regulated 80-90 psi of gaseous CO2 from 10 lb CO2 tank.
Old 04-18-2008, 02:07 PM
Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
i mounted mine to the side of my sub box. its not that loud when running but i'm also looking to relocate it.
Old 04-18-2008, 02:09 PM

The manifold idea is on the board, now to some pics of installation choices; I have seen a few, most people seem to mount theirs on the fender by the CC & the Air box. I have yet to go out & really look at my options yet, it's been rainy all day & I just haven't felt much like screwing with my truck, I still have yet to put on my IFS truss or my tranny cooler, it's all still sitting in my living room floor. I may put it off until I get the front & rear ARB's back from the builder & just cuss at myself under my breath for procrastinating so long...
Old 04-18-2008, 02:12 PM

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

I did the ISR mod (useless mod) except it gave me enough room to move my igniter/coil assy, which in turn allowed me to mount the compressor to the fenderwall. A bit of a struggle but it worked out well.

Last edited by neoworm0; 04-18-2008 at 02:16 PM.
Old 04-18-2008, 02:20 PM

I had very little room for the big compressor short of locating it in-cab. I moved the ABS and cruise control apart by modifying the existing brackets and building a base mount over the wheel well. Not easy but the alternative seemed like a PITA. No joke, it’s tight in there but the compressor doesn’t rub anything when it’s running.

Name:  P1010751.jpg
Views: 3081
Size:  53.3 KB

Name:  P1010752.jpg
Views: 2999
Size:  56.5 KB
Old 04-18-2008, 02:22 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
mine is similar to neoworm, but the other way. I don't see what vermejo's issue was - TONS of space with the 3.4 in there.

x2 on the manifold/tank idea. I can charge up the bumper and run the lockers off that if the compressor goes.
Old 04-18-2008, 03:01 PM

I had found the pics of neoworms mounting in a search (thanks for posting those neoworm) Vermejo; I have a '95 see the sig. line, your mount will probably have little in common with mine. I can't say for sure as I only have the 2nd gen & no access to any others to look at.

TC; I'm probably going to mount a 10lb - 20lb CO2 tank in the back but I'm still not sure. I have a mini-oxygen tank I was thinking of mounting somewhere inconspicuous as a reserve for the ARB CKMA12 - the manifold is the missing link. I didn't know Slee off road sold one, after it was mentioned earlier in this thread I'm seeing all kinds of them in my searches. As of yet I have no sliders or after market tubular bumpers to use as air tanks.
Old 04-19-2008, 01:25 AM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Mine is very similar to the rest:

Name:  34Finish03.jpg
Views: 1935
Size:  69.3 KB

That was the place with the 3.0 and now with the 3.4.

One thing I did do was to mount the base on 4 rubber bushings about 3/4" thick. I ran bolts through too the fender and secured with nylock nuts... only slightly compressing the bushings. This really quited down the noise from inside the cab when the compressor cycles on and off.
Old 04-19-2008, 02:30 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mine's not an ARB but I had an even bigger challenge with the slightly larger Viair 380C and a 3 gallon air tank. I just bought a used tool box for $40 from the classified ads and threw it all in there. It works fine, stays dry and secure, and I can barely hear it from in the cab.

Last edited by ovrrdrive; 04-19-2008 at 02:32 AM.
Old 04-19-2008, 07:15 AM

If I had a pick-up mounting the system wouldn't be any problem. I have a 4Runner.

I'm no pneumatics genius, my dad's got a degree in it (& electronics) but he's getting old & his mind is going so I have to do it myself. Right now I'm looking at the two lockers (being built right now) the compressor (in my possession), an air manifold, a one way valve between the compressor & the manifold out to the rest of the system to keep the air pressure bleed down back through the compressor to a minimum, an air dryer?, various other parts & a reservoir tank of a still to be determined size.

I need to determine what the optimum capacity tank is, determine if I need an air dryer & figure out where to mount this compressor. I suppose under the hood is the best option....under the body will require ghetto fabbing some sort of housing. I did see where someone had mounted theirs under the rear seats, I might explore that a little more if I could isolate the sound & keep the compressor cool it might work.

As far as determining optimum reservoir size; I guess the best way is to find out the maximum run time this compressor is rated to run before shutting it off to cool down. Take that time multiply times the rated 2.18 cfm & that should give me the quantity of air the compressor can pump in one on/off cool down cycle. I can then use that quantity to determine the best aux. reservoir size. Maybe? Just thinking out loud here.....
Old 04-19-2008, 10:19 AM

After staring at my rig for over an hour & looking at it & making faces & scratching my chin I've come to the conclusion that putting the compressor on the drivers side fender well between the master cylinder & the coil pack is going to be the most straight forward. Under the rear seats is a no go for me, under the body is possible but will require too much fabbing to make it suit me; the only other possible location I can see would be in the cargo/tool cubby in the back. & that would make for unnecessarily long wiring. the air line would be about the same since it'd be in about the same location in the rear as it would be in the front under the hood as far as distance to the lockers.

I guess now all I have to do is design a loop & get it built & installed.
Old 04-19-2008, 10:32 AM

Sorry we couldn’t help. Even though you have a different set-up than most that posted above it shows that custom modification is required in many cases. TC, 3.4 gives about as much mounting space as any other, the open space is just that, floating between components in mid-air. Elvota’s shot shows a nice chunk of space on the upper driver’s side; looks are deceiving. Mounting it on rubber is a nice touch.
Old 04-19-2008, 10:43 AM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Vermejo
Elvota’s shot shows a nice chunk of space on the upper driver’s side; looks are deceiving. Mounting it on rubber is a nice touch.
Yes.... but the only reason I had that space after the swap is that I retained the 3.0 EVAP canister. If I had installed the 3.4 unit, I would have been sunk.

Even though the 3.4 has less going on than the 3.0, a lot of the components residing on the fenderwells are much larger. I feel your pain Vermejo.
Old 04-19-2008, 11:41 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Belize Off Road Team
well for a location when i get mine i am removing my rear heater and mounting the compressor there OR i will mount it behind the frame rail under the cargo area so it is protected and then simply just build a skid around the compressor to enhance protection. same location is often used on 4runner with a powertank, behind the framerail under the cargo hold.
The transmission really heats up the console area. I don't know if that's a good spot for it, especially in an already hot climate like yours.
Old 04-19-2008, 01:35 PM

I will mount mine in the same location as Neoworm, it's really my only logical choice from looking at my rig.

Now I'm wondering if I could use an air ride suspension tank as a combination reservoir/manifold; it'd be the best of both worlds in one unit & can be had for about the same price as the Slee off-road manifold alone. I've seen some of them in a 3 gallon size with as many as six different bungs already welded & tapped.
Old 05-30-2008, 01:07 PM

Got my front & rear ARB equipped diffs in today, built by a friend of Dirtoyboy, Victors off-road engineering. They were packaged very well in custom built particle board boxes, one has a fresh coat of black paint & the other doesn't looks like I need to get some paint & get that taken care of; otherwise they were done for a very competitive price & pretty quickly too. I doubt I could have gotten them quicker from anywhere else.

As soon as I get time I'll slap them in & mount up my compressor....I should've done that already but I caught a case of the lazies, I also need to install my IFS truss from Sonoran Steel, I waited on that purposely since I was gonna have to pull the front diff. within a month or so of getting it anyway.

Ah the break in.......what a p.i.t.a.! Since this is my first new differential gear set this is gonna be a new one on me; it's going to be hard to do in town & with no trails to drive in 4 hi to break in the front but I'm sure I'll manage. I need to order some magnetic drain plugs from Marlin Crawler I think....well I'm just happy & blabbing - any last minute advice post up.

Old 05-30-2008, 01:23 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Have you concedered the spare tire area for mounting the compressor? I have a tire rack so I don't need that area for a spare so I was going to do one there for my air tank as well not sure if you use that area but it out of the way and high enought that you will not have issues with it on the trail. just a thought
Old 05-30-2008, 01:46 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Sent to me. I'll mount it for you, in my truck.

Quick Reply: ARB compressor mounting locations