Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Anything I can do to save a 22RE on the cheap?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 12:57 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Anything I can do to save a 22RE on the cheap?

I recently replaced a blown head gasket and timing chain on my brother's 1995 truck. While the engine was apart, I noticed that the deck surface had ALOT of pitting (from my experience, this just seems to be a 22R thing). The pitting was particularly severe around the number one cylinder. But, given the attractiveness of the 3RZ option, my brother and I really don't want to dump alot of money into decking the block (and, by extension, rebuilding the motor) when the 3RZ is just a better option. So we just put everything together and hoped for the best. But now that it's together, it looks like the head gasket might not be sealing against the bad deck surface. The problem is, my brother really doesn't have the money to do the 3RZ right now. So this has me wondering. Is there anything we can do right now to at least get a head gasket to seal for a little while (maybe a year or two)? Would something like copper spray or JB weld at least get a gasket to seal until my brother gets the cash together for a 3RZ swap?
Old 10-31-2012, 05:06 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Fix it right or motor swap. Anything else is just

:wabbit2:
Old 10-31-2012, 02:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Just curious, but how do you not have enough money to deck the block and head? Decking the block+head at a good shop around the corner from me costs $90. So, heres what I would do, deck block+head, go to napa--get new bottom end bearings and rod bearings, throw motor back together with Toyota head gasket. Done.

I did that on my 4runner that has 248K and its running awesome 77k later.
Old 10-31-2012, 05:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I hate to sound stupid due to my lack of knowledge on proper parts terminology and so on but here is what I ran into. I had my head resurfaced on my 85 22r. I used and oversized head gasket to make up for the amount taken off the head. I still had a problem so I tore it down... for the third time. I called my machine shop with no luck. My friend who hardly knows how to use a wrench pointed out the studs that come up from the block to help align the head. I measured the studs versus the depth of the stud holes in the head and sure enough there was no way the head could seal with that length of stud so I filed them down. Replaced the head gasket and bolts.Good to go. Just what happened to me...something to think about.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:27 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Duffdog
Just curious, but how do you not have enough money to deck the block and head? Decking the block+head at a good shop around the corner from me costs $90. So, heres what I would do, deck block+head, go to napa--get new bottom end bearings and rod bearings, throw motor back together with Toyota head gasket. Done.

I did that on my 4runner that has 248K and its running awesome 77k later.
I guess the way I look at it, if you deck the block, you have to disassemble it. This means basically rebuilding the bottom end. I mean, would you want to reuse the old rings, for instance? All of this is money - money that could be better spent on a swap.
Old 11-02-2012, 03:24 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
depends, if you are replacing the rings with non-toyota rings then, yes, I would keep them. On the other hand, there is an infinite number of 22re engines that have been "rebuilt" with the cheapest parts possible that won't even make it 2000 miles. If they would have stuck with original toyota parts, this wouldn't be the case. Thats why I'm advocating not installing junk parts if you can't afford reals stuff.