86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

anyone done LC engineering upgrades?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2007, 10:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
anyone done LC engineering upgrades?

I'm looking at getting the EFI performance upgrade kit that has the header, opened throttle body, cam, and a few other odds and ends. it's going on a 94 pickup. I'm wondering if anyone else has done this upgrade and what you think of it. thanks
-newman
Old 04-07-2007, 11:11 AM

Just put an upgrade on a 92 4x4 , it works great really improves the acceler. has more power. The only problem we had was the pipe that bolts to the header , the flange that the convertor bolts to was turned wrong , called them and they sent a new pipe.
Old 04-07-2007, 11:14 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
I got the header and high flow cat...good company to deal with IMO.

Old 04-07-2007, 01:00 PM

My whole top end,header/exhaust is from them,while you have it torn apart I suggest the dual row t/c kit too.
Old 04-07-2007, 01:22 PM
Contributing Member

Dual row timing kit here, good stuff if pricey though. Check engbuilder for stuff too (especially cams), equally decent stuff at realistic prices.
Old 04-07-2007, 01:40 PM

Got the header for my taco, great improvement. Great company to deal with item works exactly as described.
Old 04-07-2007, 02:02 PM
Contributing Member

I got the upgrade minus the TB...
I like their stuff
Performance: seems to have pushed power band to higher rpm range.
But even with that I have good low end torqe...for a 22re
Old 04-07-2007, 03:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by freerider17
I'm looking at getting the EFI performance upgrade kit that has the header, opened throttle body, cam, and a few other odds and ends. it's going on a 94 pickup. I'm wondering if anyone else has done this upgrade and what you think of it. thanks
-newman

Freerider, I'm sure those mods open it up a bit, especially in combination.
Thing is, that doing those mods from other source and buying the parts individually might work out better in terms of $$$.
Check out engnbldr's cams.
Various sources of headers - buy a good one (no pacesetter crap)
You can bore the stock TB. Alternately you can use a 60mm from a 7G supra with a bit of creativity.

Other recommendations - you need to port the upper plenum to use the 60mm tb. If you're pre-88.5, go to the late model upper plenum.
Old 04-10-2007, 12:34 AM
Contributing Member

lce plenum and tb

I got the lce ported plenum and tb for the 3vze. I love it, they did an awesome job.
Old 04-10-2007, 07:23 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i run the LCE header with a engbldr. head, i love it been looking at the bigger TB as my next mod
Old 04-10-2007, 07:48 AM

i have the LCE header on both my current trucks. it is a thing of beauty as well as performance. i hear the thorley header is also a good one. i'm not sure how many others are very well made, or CARB approved.

i have the LCE hi flow cat back on the tacoma. it is made by magnaflow, also a thing of beauty. it did not fit, and i ended up paying a welder to take care of things. pipe had to be shortened, and sensor mount had to be turned. i did not care for the sound of the muffler at all, so replaced it with a dynomax super turbo from summit. much nicer sound for me and all the performance of the magnaflow muffler. the cat back is stainless madrel bent, very sweet.

i did not go with the LCE cat back for the 4runner. instead i had a local welder fab up a 2.25 inch job, and used the same dynomax muffler as above. the ending performance result was the same as above, except scaled down to 22RE.

i think the money is well spent on the LCE header. the catback is a toss. for much less money, i got all the performance with a local pipe job and a good cheap muffler from summit (i think napa re-brands the dynomax/walker lines and sells for even less). the SS and mandrel bends on the LCE catback are pretty sweet, but i dont think there is measurable performance over my local and much cheaper job.
Old 04-10-2007, 09:30 AM

right on. i'll be checkin into those other companies. i'm still a little new to the yota world and I get the feeling that I'm going to do a lot more to my truck than i planned on. i'm addicted.
Old 04-11-2007, 04:09 AM

I've got:
Ceramic coated header
Forged Pistons w/Total Seal Gapless rings
Cro-moly Rods
Stroker Crank
Double Row Timing Chain Kit
Split Duration Cam
basically an LCE stroker short block I built from their parts
Love it, wasn't cheap though. But my Baby deserved it after twenty faithfull years of work and play.
RsWOG
Attached Thumbnails anyone done LC engineering upgrades?-stroker4a.jpg  

Last edited by BRreddog; 11-02-2010 at 07:36 AM.
The following users liked this post:
gt350mk (01-08-2022)
Old 04-11-2007, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by BRreddog
I've got:
Ceramic coated header
Forged Pistons w/Total Seal Gapless rings
Cro-moly Rods
Stroker Crank
Double Row Timing Chain Kit
Split Duration Cam
basically an LCE stroker short block I built from their parts
Love it, wasn't cheap though. But my Baby deserved it after twenty faithfull years of work and play.

DYNO?

It should be noted that forged pistons are overkill for a naturally aspirated motor, but they're used on the stroker as you have to do custom pistons anyway... Rods - same deal, they're more than strong enough for a naturally aspriated application...
Typical places to spend money - headers, exhaust, & mild head work...
Old 04-11-2007, 07:02 AM

I have their header.. LOVE IT...

As far as their full EFI kit.. I wouldnt buy it. They have told me they get the "max" out of the EFI comupter... Their cam is very large, I used to run a similar cam and there were only certain atshmopheric conditoins the ECU could keep up.... So IMO, MAX is too much if you live at altitude, or drive at altitude, espically in the summer.. At 4K feet my old cam was only good to 45*, then it just went to crap... now its not the LCE cam, but it was TRD one that has similar specs...

The larger throtlle body may get you some responce, but I doubt much more power... Talk with engnbldr, he claims the same power for a lot less $$, and a less radical cam that will probally preform more evenly...

But DO get their header, by far the best one on the market... I wouldnt get their full exhaust, it hangs really low and I have heard more than one story of people having to modify it to get it to fit their truck.

The 22RE ECU is old school, and wont adapt to too much...
Old 04-11-2007, 07:29 AM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i can't justify the money i paid for the power difference the header provided. just my opinion.
Old 04-11-2007, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by SizzleChest
i can't justify the money i paid for the power difference the header provided. just my opinion.
I have had 2 different headers, downey and LCE.. The downey wasnt coated, or stainless.. but had the sams power increase, and was a TON cheaper... but I would only buy the LCE for the coating and the stainless.... My underhood temps were insane with the non coated downey, so the extra money is well worth it when considering how much coller my underhood temps are... I used to see a heat plume coming out of the hood/fender crack driving on the fwy, not anymore...
Old 04-11-2007, 08:15 AM

The coating is ceramic and you can have it added to any header.. I agree with AD though, get a quality header that fits well and has a good initial metal thickness. Send the header to a place like hotjet - or have a look on their website for coating prices.
Old 04-13-2007, 09:42 PM

heat issues?

does switching to a good ceramic header help keep the engine cooler at all, or is it vise versa? i have always done every thing i could to keep my engines running cool. my bugs all have external oil coolers and a few other cooling related mods. are the things like that available for the 22re?
Old 04-14-2007, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by freerider17
does switching to a good ceramic header help keep the engine cooler at all, or is it vise versa? i have always done every thing i could to keep my engines running cool. my bugs all have external oil coolers and a few other cooling related mods. are the things like that available for the 22re?
Engine Bay not engine. Headers always make your engine bay hotter than the stock cast manifold. Ceramic coating keeps the heat in the header pipe until it vents out the tail pipe.

Quick Reply: anyone done LC engineering upgrades?