Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

anybody know where to get heater core hard lines?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 08:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
anybody know where to get heater core hard lines?

NLA from the Dealer, aftermarket retailer/wholesalers seem to have nothing.

One of mine is has a split in it, the other is kinda buggered up at the rubber hose connection. I think a PO probably overtightened the clamp. Anyway before I can put my dash back together and drive the damn truck again, I need to find some new (hopefully) or good used hard lines. Anybody got any ideas?

I called a few dismantlers today, no dice yet. Anybody parting a truck out that could help me? I do not have rear heat, so its the same as a pickup I guess.

Kevin

87 4runner
Old 10-11-2007, 06:24 PM

Heater Core Hard Line

Sounds like a Stealer (aka Dealer) item , if all else fails use some soft refrigeration copper tubing and double clamp it , Stealer probably has it , have to order maybe , good used set sure would be cheaper I bet but you never know ..........Ck the price at the Stealer ............could be reasonably priced .
Old 10-12-2007, 05:39 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'll need to look at the ones in the one I'm currently parting to see if they are any good. Are you talking about the ones that run under the floor to the rear heater?
Old 10-12-2007, 06:27 AM

Not available from the Dealer

My runner dosn't have rear heat, so I was talking about the hard lines that run from the heater core through the firewall, the lines you connect the rubber heater hose to...

The dealer can no longer get them. Parts guy at the dealer called Toyota, no dice...
Old 10-12-2007, 06:37 AM

If memory serves, those lines are part of the heater core itself. They are not replaceable. Can you post a picture?
Old 10-12-2007, 08:32 AM
Contributing Member

Received 463 Likes on 309 Posts
An a/c repair shop might be able to repair it, though you might price out that and a heater core first, to see which is worth it.
Old 10-12-2007, 10:43 AM

Heater Core Hard Line

Originally Posted by InternetRoadkill
If memory serves, those lines are part of the heater core itself. They are not replaceable. Can you post a picture?
This is quite true , lol its sad but I had to think about it myself and just did one 3 months ago on my Jimmy (I shouldn't admit that but hey we all have our moments) , but generally the hard lines you see coming thru firewall are part of the Heater Core .
Old 10-12-2007, 03:44 PM

sorry don't have a picture here at work

But they are very much a seperate part. There is an O-ring that seals the connection between each line and the heater core. The dealers blow-up diagram of the system shows the lines even, but they don't have the parts available anymore.

Its looking like used it the best I can do. Anyone parting a low mile truck?
Old 10-12-2007, 05:38 PM

Actually, he's right. I do seem to remember that you could unbolt the water lines from the heater core. I haven't looked at one in nearly 2 years.

I am currently parting out an 88. I can pull the heater core tomorrow afternoon and take a look at it. It may have what you're looking for.
Old 10-15-2007, 08:05 AM

how was that '88?

All the heaters in the junkyards I looked at over the weekend were super rusty. Still looking for good heater hard lines..

May have to fab something, but that would require reworking the heater core outlets a little bit.. yuck, this job sucks the worst
Old 10-15-2007, 09:48 AM

I have one of the hard lines (the one to the heater valve). The other is heavily damaged.
Old 10-15-2007, 10:13 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by novek
But they are very much a seperate part. There is an O-ring that seals the connection between each line and the heater core. The dealers blow-up diagram of the system shows the lines even, but they don't have the parts available anymore.
See if you can get a part number and check some other dealers, sometimes a new (or lazy) parts guy will be wrong.
Old 10-15-2007, 10:57 AM

Heater Core Hard Line

I have one of the hard lines (the one to the heater valve). The other is heavily damaged.
I havn't done a Yota Heater Core yet but had to remove the entire dash as well to put one on my '95 4WD Jimmy SLS , I would love to see a pic of this when you have it back together showing the hardlines which obviously are separate from the heater core - what were they thinking ??? Why would they make hardlines that go from the heater core thru the firewall ???? I can only guess that did it so that they could use the same core on many different models and have the hard lines be different but that would really be sad if you had to pull your dash and replace a short peice of hose connecting the core to the hardlines going thru firewall , I guess when the engineers did that one they must have had lunch that day and a little too much Saki to drink .
Old 10-15-2007, 11:52 AM

The yota heater core is a monster to replace. You have to pull most of the dash to get it out including the evaporator core which requires that the A/C be recharged when you're done. The dash is literally build around the core.
Old 10-16-2007, 08:09 AM

That's the one I really need.. On mine I have a split in the line, plus the heater hose end is all up. I could paypal you for shipping+ whatever that muther fer is worth
Old 10-16-2007, 08:35 AM

How about $15 shipped?

** Let me check to make sure that's the one. They both look alike.

The good one is on the right side of the picture.

Last edited by InternetRoadkill; 10-16-2007 at 08:52 AM.
Old 10-16-2007, 09:10 AM

How about $15 shipped?

** Let me check to make sure that's the one. They both look alike.

The good one is on the right side of the picture.
Thats the one! A good picture for those that were curious how this thing works. Those lines are clamped to the housing, and slide inside the heater core with an o-ring. This is why you must start at the rear bumper to get the heater core out! (My dad's joke when he came by and saw my truck apart....gessh, you gotta start at the bumper?)
Old 10-16-2007, 09:30 AM

Thats the one! A good picture for those that were curious how this thing works. Those lines are clamped to the housing, and slide inside the heater core with an o-ring. This is why you must start at the rear bumper to get the heater core out! (My dad's joke when he came by and saw my truck apart....gessh, you gotta start at the bumper?)
And they don't come with the core ?
I am getting a education myself here
Old 10-16-2007, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by n4ynu1010
And they don't come with the core ?
I am getting a education myself here
Don't come with the core, The only way you could ever get them is with the whole assembly, housing, core, lines, o-rings clamps etc... everything in the picture used to be sold together as a unit. This is No Longer Available from Toyota. I had two different dealers check into it, one tried pretty hard. No dice. The heater core is still sold seperate and comes bare, by itself.
Old 10-16-2007, 09:44 AM

Don't come with the core, The only way you could ever get them is with the whole assembly, housing, core, lines, o-rings clamps etc... everything in the picture used to be sold together as a unit. This is No Longer Available from Toyota. I had two different dealers check into it, one tried pretty hard. No dice. The heater core is still sold seperate and comes bare, by itself.
Bummer ..........but will remember that for mine , its still good but ...............and that is totally alien to me having the lines going thru the firewall separate .
I guess you will be replacing those o-rings with some urathane/neoprene ones , I guess rubber would be good but I like Hi Perf. o-rings hehe

Quick Reply: anybody know where to get heater core hard lines?