Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Any idea with this wire is for?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2017, 07:32 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Question Any idea with this wire is for?

I'm posting this separately - I found it while trying to see if I could find a loose wire in the dash / steering column that is causing my digital dash to flash on and off when my lights are on and I've been driving for 5+ mins at night.

On a '87 SR5 Turbo 1st Gen 4runner.

It splices into a black wire in the steering column - then goes through the firewall on the drivers side - then goes behind the engine to the passenger side - then finally splices into another black wire as shown in the pics.

Any idea what this is? And think it could be getting hot and causing my dash to flash? I can get it back on by turning to driving lights then back to headlights - somehow resetting it so it has to be something with the light/blinker and steering column and this is the only wire that looks non-factory.

It it has a Marlin W-56B manual tranny with 2K miles on it if that helps. Would love to know what it's for - it's definitely the work of the PO...
Attached Thumbnails Any idea with this wire is for?-img_1845.jpg   Any idea with this wire is for?-img_1846.jpg   Any idea with this wire is for?-img_1859.jpg   Any idea with this wire is for?-img_1860.jpg  
Old 05-29-2017, 07:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It looks stock since the wire color follows the black w/ white stripe theme. It may have had an alarm system in it that was removed before you got it. Mine did, I removed all the extra wiring and crap and have a few connections like this. A wiring diagram would help, but the one I have is for 90-95.

The dash flickering seems strange tho, almost seems relay related if it stops when you turn the headlights off and back on.

Id check the headlight relay and connections, since I imagine that dash illumination shares the same relay(s)
Old 05-30-2017, 12:31 AM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
Looks like "ST1", power from the switch to the starter solenoid.
Old 06-01-2017, 04:05 PM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Originally Posted by Charles4x4
I... my digital dash to flash on and off ....
Turbo, meaning auto transmission?
Please specify, The INDICATOR lights flash or the DASH ILLUMINATION flash?

IF dash ILLUMINATION flash, then the black wire from Ign switch ST1 contact has nothing to do with it.
Black wire connect from ST1 contact to neutral safety switch, EFI ECU, starter solenoid coil positive, CSI positive (pin2).
Checked to make sure splices are good?

Last edited by RAD4Runner; 06-01-2017 at 04:06 PM.
Old 06-01-2017, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by warnereg
It looks stock since the wire color follows the black w/ white stripe theme. It may have had an alarm system in it that was removed before you got it. Mine did, I removed all the extra wiring and crap and have a few connections like this. A wiring diagram would help, but the one I have is for 90-95.

The dash flickering seems strange tho, almost seems relay related if it stops when you turn the headlights off and back on.

Id check the headlight relay and connections, since I imagine that dash illumination shares the same relay(s)
Thanks. I have the FSM, but it doesn't have the digital dash since it was so rare.

I'll check out the relays, but it might have been an alarm since there is a red LED light that looks like an alarm that is no longer hooked up.
Old 06-01-2017, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by RAD4Runner
Turbo, meaning auto transmission?
Please specify, The INDICATOR lights flash or the DASH ILLUMINATION flash?

IF dash ILLUMINATION flash, then the black wire from Ign switch ST1 contact has nothing to do with it.
Black wire connect from ST1 contact to neutral safety switch, EFI ECU, starter solenoid coil positive, CSI positive (pin2).
Checked to make sure splices are good?

It had an auto originally but now has a Marlin W56b. The entire dash more or less flashes. Check out the attached videos. Thoughts?

Last edited by Charles4x4; 06-01-2017 at 04:55 PM.