Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Any 1st gen 4runner's with custom sub boxes?

Old 08-16-2008, 10:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any 1st gen 4runner's with custom sub boxes?

I took my sub out awhile ago as the enclosure took up too much space in my truck. Well, I really miss it, but I don't want to lose any space, so I am thinking about putting a 10" sub between the rollbar opening and creating a box inside of the runner body.

There's not enough space in there to make a usefull box so I'm thinking about using fiberglass to seal off a space inside of the body. Attach foil to the body and start fiberglassing out a form. This form would be 5 sided so the 6th side would be a piece of wood attached to the body/box in the same place as where the normal interior goes. Sub would attach to the wood, or possibly a raised box that sticks over the wheel well a small amount.

Anyone out there have built anything like this or have a sub solution that doesn't eat up bed space?

I have a few questions... I was planning to use the foil so that the fiberglass frame doesn't bind to the body shape. I'm worried about the vibrations. Maybe wheeling with the box touching the body is going to deform the metal over time. It might be better to build some sort of frame close to the body that doesn't touch the body so when the truck is flexing, it's not pushing against the fiberglass. Maybe it would be better to forget the foil and attach the fiberglass directly to the inside body. The outside of the body actually has a fair amount of bondo and fiberglass already due to rust repair so it's not just metal it's pushing against, and the body probably doesn't flex at all. In which case using foil and making a fiberglass shell against the body should work fine.

This box would not be removable without demolishing and would be built in place to maximize space wise. The factory wires that run though there would be protected but would probably run right through the middle of the box.

Another thought was using a ported box. This solves some of the problems of having the box vibrating too much on it's own and also having to ensure that everything is absolutely airtight. I'm not really a fan of ported boxes though and would prefer a solid enclosure. I don't want to lose my little storage spaces at the back of the truck either and a vented box might require too much space. I think I have about 0.7 f^3 including a little box that sticks through the rollbar that sub would actually be mounted to. I can't build the box too much further towards the front of the vehicle as I have 6" rounds mounted just infront of the rear passenger seatbelts.

I'll try to post some pictures later to make things clearer.

Just thinking out loud really before I start. Any comments appreciated.
Old 08-16-2008, 11:05 AM

Here's a pic to help make sense.

The red lines would be the side walls. Maybe made with wood glued in and then fiberglassed over. I'm leary of having the wood touch the body as if I hit something it might dent the body in a way that would make repair hard. Maybe it will just be cloth stretched and fiberglassed.

There will be a piece of wood making the front of the box between the two red marked walls. And the green outline will be a seperate box that protrudes from the wood that the sub mounts to. I might skip the extruding box for simplicities sake if I think I can get away w/out the extra volume it provides.
Attached Thumbnails Any 1st gen 4runner's with custom sub boxes?-rough-speaker-plan.jpg  
Old 08-16-2008, 01:13 PM

I've been working on the same idea in the back of my mind. I haven't had the freetime to focus on my subs just yet though.
Old 08-17-2008, 12:27 AM

I'm going to have to go Pirate style on you
SEARCH
There is a really good thread on this.