86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Anti-Lock Light

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2007, 06:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anti-Lock Light

I got a anti-lock light that wont go off. All brake pads are good, brakes bled several times. Brakes work fine. Cant get the light to go off. This all started after the SAS. Any ideas?
Old 02-12-2007, 06:42 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What kind of vehicle do you have? I'll bet it's because you had to get rid of your front wheel speed sensors when you went to a SFA.
Old 02-12-2007, 07:06 PM

I got a 91 toyota, with an 85 front axle. Isnt the anti lock for the rears only on these trucks?
Old 02-12-2007, 07:18 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by tadeon
I got a 91 toyota, with an 85 front axle. Isnt the anti lock for the rears only on these trucks?
I think the front wheels still have sensors, to decide whether the rear is locked up or not. I could be wrong though, the symptoms just sound like what people with full-time 4wd 01 & 02 4runners experience after a SAS...
Old 02-12-2007, 09:54 PM
Contributing Member

did you swap the rear thirds? it could be the rear wheel speed sensor is not plugged in or is damaged. When we did my swap, i ended up with a 4cyl third in the rear so no spot for the speed sensor(it was busted anyways). If you get a working sensor, you can plug it in, then tie the whole assembly up out of the way and the light should go off (if it was the sensor causing the problem).
Old 02-13-2007, 06:36 AM

you probably only have the rear abs system, which actually isn't really an ABS system at all.

test the sensor in the diff, i bet it's bad. mine has been on for a couple years now and i couldnt' care less. i think a new sensor is ~$80
Old 02-13-2007, 06:57 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
If you want to get rid of the light and you don't care about fixing the ABS system just disconnect the ABS computer. Its back behind the glove box high up in the dash (on my 93), just pull the plug on it. That rear anti-lock system on the early trucks wasn't worth fixing IMHO.

If you want to fix it, this may help:
http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b...13generald.pdf
http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b...akesystem.html

Last edited by mt_goat; 02-13-2007 at 06:58 AM.
Old 02-13-2007, 07:16 AM

Damn, I didn't realize it was that simple to turn that light off. I had to throw in a new used 3rd, but it didn't have the abs sensor in it, so I've had that stupid ABS light on for the last 6 months. Tonight I shall say good riddance to you!
Old 02-13-2007, 07:28 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by da_bigg_wigg
Damn, I didn't realize it was that simple to turn that light off. I had to throw in a new used 3rd, but it didn't have the abs sensor in it, so I've had that stupid ABS light on for the last 6 months. Tonight I shall say good riddance to you!
Yeah it is simple but not really that easy to get to. Take off the glove box and look up above the main support bar behind the dash. It's a little bigger than a pack of smokes IIRC. I took mine completely out now to make room for some URD goodies.
Old 02-13-2007, 07:34 AM

I did have a speed sensor on the rear diff. Its now tie wrapped out of the way(nowhere to put it since I changed the diff). Its probably broken.
Old 02-13-2007, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by mt_goat
If you want to get rid of the light and you don't care about fixing the ABS system just disconnect the ABS computer. Its back behind the glove box high up in the dash (on my 93), just pull the plug on it. That rear anti-lock system on the early trucks wasn't worth fixing IMHO.

If you want to fix it, this may help:
http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b...13generald.pdf
http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b...akesystem.html
I'll probably end up disconnecting the ABS computer, until I figure out what I really should do. That light is killin me. Thanks for the info.
Old 02-13-2007, 11:24 AM

Haha my rear abs doesnt work and never has, but my light isnt on, it does suck when its wet though, slamming on your brakes and skidding through red lights...lol
Old 07-09-2007, 05:14 PM

i just unplugged my abs ecu under the dash of my 90 v6 4runner but the light is still on. I am using this vehicle for almost all offroad and have no desire to fix the problem i just need to get rid of the light so i can pass inspection. Any ideas would be great. Thanks.
Old 07-17-2007, 12:42 AM

Originally Posted by MattMorty
i just unplugged my abs ecu under the dash of my 90 v6 4runner but the light is still on. I am using this vehicle for almost all offroad and have no desire to fix the problem i just need to get rid of the light so i can pass inspection. Any ideas would be great. Thanks.
It's normal for it to come on when the car is first started, then go off after a few seconds. If it comes on and stays on before you drive off even if the abs is unplugged, it is failing the resistance check. If it goes off before you drive away, it has passed the resistance check.

If it comes on while driving NOT associated with braking, it is likely a dirty gear wheel. The ABS system compares the wheel sensor speeds all the time - if the brakes aren't applied, and there is a significant speed difference between one wheel and the rest, it sets a fault. The sensor 'sees' a gear wheel mounted on the hub. If the slots between the gear teeth fill up with metallic goop (dirt, grease, and metallic bits worn off some of your Toyota 4Runner parts like the rotor and semi-metallic brake pads, the sensor can occasionally miss seeing the gaps, so it counts wrong. Not all the time, just an iffy thing. Which one? You'd need a dealer /indy shop to read out the ABS codes. Or just clean them all.

This doesn't rule out other possible ABS issues; just going after the most common. ABS light under braking could be a valving issue -for that, get the codes read. And I assume the Brake Fluid light isn't coming on also at this time. And I assume the Brake Fluid light works (turn the key to ON but don't start the car to check the lights).
Old 07-17-2007, 04:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
my ABS for the rear has been on for like 3-4 yrs now.....
It doesn't bother me none.

You can do what my wife did when the check engine light comes on...block it with a yellow sticker.......and keep drivin'..........LOL
Old 07-18-2007, 12:48 AM

Originally Posted by 1989toy4wd
Haha my rear abs doesnt work and never has, but my light isnt on, it does suck when its wet though, slamming on your brakes and skidding through red lights...lol

I wouldn't have thought an 89 standard cab would have had ABS... My 95 xcab dlx doesn't. IIRC, only the SR5 models actually had the rear ABS and even then it was only the last few years of the 3rd gens.

Sure you aren't talking about the BS LPV system?
Old 07-18-2007, 09:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Allen
It's normal for it to come on when the car is first started, then go off after a few seconds. If it comes on and stays on before you drive off even if the abs is unplugged, it is failing the resistance check. If it goes off before you drive away, it has passed the resistance check.

If it comes on while driving NOT associated with braking, it is likely a dirty gear wheel. The ABS system compares the wheel sensor speeds all the time - if the brakes aren't applied, and there is a significant speed difference between one wheel and the rest, it sets a fault. The sensor 'sees' a gear wheel mounted on the hub. If the slots between the gear teeth fill up with metallic goop (dirt, grease, and metallic bits worn off some of your Toyota 4Runner parts like the rotor and semi-metallic brake pads, the sensor can occasionally miss seeing the gaps, so it counts wrong. Not all the time, just an iffy thing. Which one? You'd need a dealer /indy shop to read out the ABS codes. Or just clean them all.

This doesn't rule out other possible ABS issues; just going after the most common. ABS light under braking could be a valving issue -for that, get the codes read. And I assume the Brake Fluid light isn't coming on also at this time. And I assume the Brake Fluid light works (turn the key to ON but don't start the car to check the lights).
that explains why my light comes on sometimes when im offroad in 2wd and the rear tires are spinning excessivly.. thanks!
Old 03-30-2010, 04:41 PM

How do you get the sensor off of the rear diff to change/clean it?

There's one 12 mil small bolt holding it but after I took that off it won't pull off. I want to take it out to inspect it but I don't want to break it or screw it up by trying to pry it up.
Old 04-11-2010, 07:45 AM

Bump

Anyone?
Old 04-11-2010, 07:57 AM
Contributing Member

Here's what mine looks like out, note the o-ring:

Quick Reply: Anti-Lock Light