Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Another 50N recall horror story..need help going to bat

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2006, 06:36 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
UK - did you call them and talk to a real person and get a case number? The reason I ask is because that's what I did and I still haven't heard back yet. If not, I would recommend filing with them over the phone, and if that doesn't work, writing them letters.
Old 01-12-2006, 11:04 AM
Contributing Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Mine went well, they suggested that I replace some parts, to the tune of $770, but that was not until I came to pick it up. Glad I did it.
Old 01-12-2006, 01:25 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yea, i would keep writting to them Joey. They will get sick of you some day

I called several dealerships in my area and my 4runner does not fall under this recall. So i'm not going to pursue it.

On the other hand. I told my father about the recall. He took his '94 pickup in and they did the relay rod replacement and did a full alignment all for free.
Crazy dealerships
Old 01-12-2006, 01:39 PM

okay i got a recall for the steering stem or whatever... are them retards gonna try jewin me on some parts i dont need or to spend money that i shouldnt spend? cause if so maybe i wont take it in.. cause i aint payin for something that shoulndt be my problem for something toyota messed up on.. should i go have it done or not? and yeah they say theyll haev it done in a day... haha
Old 01-12-2006, 02:35 PM
Contributing Member

punkindrublic721....
Where in Graham do you live? What are you driving?
I'm off 224th, east side.

My dad just took his truck in. They fixed the steering relay rod and did the alignment for free. I'll ask him where he had it done.
Old 01-12-2006, 03:20 PM
tc
Contributing Member

People's experiences seem to be solely dependent on which dealer they use. Some are getting new tie rods and a full alignment for free. This is a safety item - I would definitely have it done. Just read through this thread and the other one (which is even longer) to be prepared what questions to ask and what to look out for.

Check out the "other" SSC 50N thread for more dealers people have had good luck with.
Old 01-12-2006, 05:08 PM
Contributing Member

Toddski.. Did you get a new truck? I thought you had a 1st Gen. Tonite I just happened to get a call from a lady representing Fairfield Toyota and just called to see how my recent service went. I missed the call but she is supposed to be calling back. She's gonna get an earful I hope she's ready. Doubt it will do any good but I am going to make it clear that I won't ever be going back there to that place.
Old 01-13-2006, 09:05 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by UKMyers
Toddski.. Did you get a new truck? I thought you had a 1st Gen.
Yep.
I was always a bit Corey envious anyways
How i lost my 1st gen.
Old 01-13-2006, 10:38 AM

Toddski i gotta 91 std cab 4x4 yota on 31's with a push bar and kc daylighters.. im out off 264th and meridian..
Old 01-13-2006, 11:49 PM

I dont even want to take the chance of having toyota screw me over like that. Ive never had a good experience at any of the toyota dealerships around here, so theres no way im bringin mine in. Like someone esle said, if it aint broke, dont fix it. I cant take the chance. If they even handed me a bill I wouldnt be able to pay them, IM BROKE!
I wonder what they would do if I just told them "I cant pay that bill, sorry"
Old 01-14-2006, 09:45 AM
Contributing Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Remember, they cannot change anything unless you give them permission first.
Old 01-14-2006, 10:58 AM

I just had my recall done yesterday (Friday the 13th) at Doxon Toyota. I had no problems. Jason Cline was great to work with. He even offered to wash my windows.
Old 01-15-2006, 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by UKMyers
Ya but what do I really have to dispute? They did this last job for no labor...just sucks not knowing how much of all this I really needed...without having tearing into it myself.
You have to dispute that the tie rods are supposed to be free. I work at a Toyota stealership and we're tossing on free tie rod ends with the 50N left and right, no pun intended. You got screwed by a dealership that didn't know what they were doing. They probably don't even know that Toyota is letting dealers do tie rod ends under the recall.
Old 01-16-2006, 09:04 AM
tc
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by miket223
You got screwed by a dealership that didn't know what they were doing. They probably don't even know that Toyota is letting dealers do tie rod ends under the recall.
This is EXACTLY the problem and EXACTLY why if the dealership won't take care of it you HAVE to file with Toyota. It IS covered, and you should NOT be paying for tie rods!
Old 01-18-2006, 04:20 PM
Contributing Member

Well I just had a 30 minute phone conversation with a rep directly from Toyota. He seemed very geniunly concerned about what had happened. I now have a formal complaint open and a case #. He said it will first go back to the dealership and and I'll have to deal with their customer relations and then we'll go from there. I'll keep updating this thread as I find out more.

Last edited by UKMyers; 01-18-2006 at 04:24 PM.
Old 01-18-2006, 05:32 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not trying to discourage you for we all know by now that the results vary greatly from dealer to dealer. The letter that you posted earlier is one of their "form letters". I got one very similar to yours. So, all that tells me is that this is a very well known problem. I did write a very well worded letter to Toyota and got a reply last night. This is what it said.

Thank you for contacting Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc.
We apologize for the concerns you experienced with your recent service at Lorensen Toyota.

You can be sure that Toyota is committed to providing the best possible service at Toyota dealerships and to making the service experience a favorable one. We encourage each dealership to maintain a professional level of performance at all times, and we were sorry to learn that you felt the service you received was less than satisfactory.

In the interest of customer satisfaction, we have contacted the Customer Relations Manager at Lorensen Toyota to assist you with your concerns. The Customer Relations Manager will contact you by the end of the business day January 20, 2006.

In the event you do not receive contact from the dealership by this date, please contact us with file #2xxxxxxxxxxx.

It is through correspondence such as yours that we are able to continue to improve Toyota dealership services, and we sincerely appreciate the time you have taken to bring this matter to our attention.

Toyota Customer Experience

So today I got a call from the service manager at Lorensen Toyota and he proceded to tell me that he thought that the matter had been resolved after going to the 2nd dealership to get the alignment done. He called the service manager at Wallingford Toyota, the dealership that did the alignment and was told that they didn't really need to do an alignment and that all they did was set up the front end so that it would not drift to the right because of a tire pull. So at this point the service manager at Lorensen Toyota told me that he did not understand what my problem was and as far as he is concerned my Runner is done. He said it was nice talking with me and to have a nice day and hung up ! All though when it was at Wallingford Toyota to do the alignment they told me that the alignment had not been done by Lorensen Toyota and did need one. They did give me the option of setting up the alignment so it would not pull from the tire or put the alignment in spec and that I could take care of the tire. Until then it would drift slightly to the right. So I told them to set the alignment per Toyota spec and that I would handle the tire as I have 6 more brand new ones already mounted at home. They said fine and that it would be done per my request.
Now I am really pissed off because both of the dealerships are jerking me around. So I called Toyota and they told me that this complaint will be put on file and when the dealership is up to renew their franchise agreement , any complaints will be brought up at that time and considered as to renew their franchise agreement or not.
Soooo, it appears that Toyota as a corporation does not really care how these things are dealt with as long as the dealerships can show some documentation that there was some contact with the customer so as to cover their tracks. I hope that you have better luck than I did with the so called customer relations person.
Old 01-18-2006, 06:29 PM
Contributing Member

My truck drifts right as well now even after the second trip in for the new rod ends and alignment #2. I'll pay to have it done someplace else before I go back though. I'm guessing I'll get the same crap from the customer relations person but it doesn't hurt to try I guess.
Old 01-19-2006, 06:50 AM

Wow Joey, what a nightmare!!! I just got my 50N recall notice in the mail and came here to the forum to see what was going on with it.....that is when I saw your post. I'll get mine done but will make sure I learn from your experience. I have had to go through my dealership's customer relations person in the past, as well as the territory GM, and Toyota Corp. My advice is to keep at them and they'll come around.
Old 01-19-2006, 02:47 PM
Contributing Member

Got a call from the Customer relations lady to tell me that the service manager will be calling me right away to resolve the issue. I tried explaining to her that I had already gone rounds with the service manager and didn't really want to talk with her anymore. She also informed that the tie rod ends WERE NOT covered and they thought they had done enough by putting on the $248 in parts for no labor. For everyone that keeps saying the tie rods are included please SHOW ME where. I think those that got their ends replaced for no cost just got lucky or else have a rockin dealership.
Old 01-19-2006, 02:56 PM

I will attempt to uncover something for you. It isn't luck. We're slappin' on free tie rods every single day and warranty is paying out on the claims without hesitation.

Quick Reply: Another 50N recall horror story..need help going to bat