86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Alternator problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2015, 06:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alternator problems

I bought a alternator cause my battery kept dieing when it's a brand new battery hooked the new one up but have no power inside the cab headlights and all work but won't turn over only dash light on is the charge light anyone know what's going on?
Old 04-23-2015, 11:28 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

really hard to tell.

Since you pulled the battery cable off who knows what kind of carnage you may have caused.!!!!

It sounds like one of the fusible links could be open.

Perhaps a broken wire.Corroded connections

Could just be poor ground connections.

What have you checked with your meter?? If you don`t have one now is the time.

Were your alternator and battery both bad??

Last edited by wyoming9; 04-23-2015 at 11:38 PM.
Old 04-24-2015, 04:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No battery is brand new put a new alt on it and it wouldn't do nothing put the old one back on and it fired up
Old 04-24-2015, 05:57 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Where did you get your alternator? Several parts stores have them rebuilt in Mexico and are bad out of the box. I have mine rebuilt at a local shop and get a much better quality job.

Even with a bad alternator, it seems like the truck should have power from the battery and crank. I would check the connection to the 80 amp fuse and the fuselink for some bad connection.
Old 04-24-2015, 07:04 AM

Received 822 Likes on 649 Posts
Originally Posted by ashersullivan88yota
No battery is brand new put a new alt on it and it wouldn't do nothing put the old one back on and it fired up
It's hard for me to imagine how a bad alternator could keep the engine from cranking; I'm guessing there was a wiring problem in the installation, that you managed to correct when re-installing the old one. The good news: whatever you did, it's working now.

Of course, you never figured out what was wrong in the first place (buying a new alternator on a guess seems like pretty false economy). So if it happens again you're no closer to the solution.

Good luck!
Old 04-24-2015, 07:10 AM

Received 822 Likes on 649 Posts
Originally Posted by Terrys87
... Several parts stores have them rebuilt in Mexico and are bad out of the box. I have mine rebuilt at a local shop and get a much better quality job.
Did you know that the fourth largest producer of automobiles in the world is Mexico? (right after Japan, US, Germany). Hey, it's a global economy. While any manufacturer can make mistakes, I don't think Mexico or China or your local shop has a corner on that.

The problem that Parts stores have is ... their customers. Someone buys a perfectly good rebuilt, takes it home, and by stupidity wrecks it. They return it to the store saying "I didn't need it." The store can't do performance checks on every part that gets returned, so they take the customer at his word and stick it back on the shelf. This can happen with brand-new parts just as easily.

You and I have to be very watchful, whether it's Autozone, Home Depot, or The Gap.
Old 04-24-2015, 07:35 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
About a year ago I got a rebuilt Nippon Denso from one of the big named part store. I did test it and know it was bad. I was in a pinch and needed the truck quick just bought it from the local store. It was dead. I took the old one I had and the new one and combined the two and it is still working.

Just recently on my 85 build, I have gone thru two Clutch Slave Cylinders and they have the life time warranty and the one I have on now I have to pump up to get it to work. It is a rebuild.

I have a friend that works at Orielly. He is currently trying to get the heater core for the 84-88 trucks straightened out. They have two providers for the heater core. One is made in Taiwan and one is made in Mexico. I forget which one you want but one is correct and one is incorrect. I think it is the Mexico made one that you want but could be wrong on that, it could be the Taiwan made one. I can tell when I first see it. The wrong one is too big and has much more silver coloring on it.

I realize the part store deal with millions of parts and it is impossible to be 100% correct but the 84-88 models use different brake slave cylinders on them. The 85 and 86 uses the larger one. The 87 uses the smaller one. They gave me an 87 and the slave cylinder piston popped out on me due to being to short causing me to lose brakes. I try to show them the differences when I find them.

Another Orielly problem I have seen is they cant get the Injector seals for an 87. I just order an 88 and they find them each time. Same seals. I try to pass on the information I find but seems like they are slow to update their systems. It isnt just Orielly. I have had issues with Autozone as well. NAPAs quality to me has gone down to me it seems. I used to think they were the top part store and they still are to me but not as high as I used to think of them.

American quality in general overall has gone down hill. 10 years ago you would of not gotten me into foreign autos. I have eaten alot of crow since switching and having some family memebers in the UAW so that hasnt gone over well. Some of these foreign countries get there quality up, we are going to be trouble.