86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

ah getting paid to work on my truck!!! lots of pics

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 06:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ah getting paid to work on my truck!!! lots of pics

ha ha i got paid a half a day to work on my truck in the shop!!!!

so i parked it and starting to go to work. it started out smooth i drained the fluid and as behold my fill plug striped out and i have no way to get it out! but i looked at the good side and just kept on wrenchin well got the diff out drilled a big hole welded a nut to it and out a bolt in it for a plug then i started fixing the hole and crack in the frame and got the rear shock back on then on top of that i welded my rear bumber back on and i also fabbed up some rear sliders whats you guys think????

look at the twins!!!!

looking though the rear end!

just before the welding,,,,, ( i though i got some pictures of the weld but what can you say)

just after welding

the rear frame hole patched up and shocked!!!!!

frame

back end looks good!!

a picture of the sliders

rear frame cleaned patched and shocked looking good!!

sorry about the pictures there from my cell phone wife forgot to bring the camera twice!!!

so whats you guys think????
Old 06-18-2008, 07:02 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
The lighting's not real good, so it's hard to tell on the frame. But, the rest looks decent. Meaning, the bumper's great, but the sliders are...well...gargantuan! You could put a sheet of metal over them, paint skulls and crossbones, and call them your DeathFlags!! Arrr! Capt'n Allan the Black, mateys!
Old 06-18-2008, 07:06 PM

well with the frame it used to me this!!!!!

and now it looks like that!!!! and my god it rides so much better i cant belive it!!!!
Old 06-18-2008, 07:07 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
what is that ugly hunk of metal hanging off the side off your custom bumper?
Old 06-18-2008, 07:13 PM

there my sliders so there you dont like them then dont look at them they were free and well i didnt have the internet to look up stuff so i could see what others have done so i just welded them up and went from there

and i so forgot to weld up the front bumper too!!! i guess thats next with a wench mount to!!!!
Old 06-18-2008, 07:17 PM

looks great bro! WAY better than the wood block! you still gonna swap frames, or call it good?
Old 06-18-2008, 07:24 PM

i think i still will just so i have a rust free frame and can do what ever i want to it you know paint it green and maybe sas it he he and as far as everyone hating a welded rear i didnt even notice that it was welded, i mean i though it broke and went back to open. then i turned into the drive way my god lol but thats about it nothing that bad!!
Old 06-18-2008, 08:32 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
That thing you are calling a slider---is there another one on the other side? I can't see it in any of the pics.
Old 06-18-2008, 09:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what sort of arrangement do you have which allows for you to be paid to work on your truck?
Old 06-18-2008, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by Spence1016
what sort of arrangement do you have which allows for you to be paid to work on your truck?
im interested in knowing this as well, i gota get me a job like that!
Old 06-19-2008, 12:20 PM

Haha, I like the sliders. I really do think you should fill the middle with some sheet and paint a skull and crossbones on it. In green, to match the rollbar.
Old 06-19-2008, 03:17 PM

im thinking as for the big holes on the sliders maybe a gastank??? or even better taking them off and welding up a air tank in each one with shut off valves!!! that might work aye?

as for the job my boss told me to start working on my truck cause we didnt have anything else to do there and he just said so you get overtime this week punch out at 5 so heck i started working on my rig at about 2:30 and punched out at 5 lol i love it!!

and yes theres two of them heres some more and better pictures of the underbody (frame repair) and the rear bumper/slider thingy

outside frame repair

inside frame repair

rear of the truck!

and the drivers side slider
Old 06-19-2008, 07:09 PM

Wow! Allan, it looks pretty darn good all finished and cleaned up. I think the gas tank/air tank ideas may be not very practical. Things sticking out tend to get knocked around or off. I think you oughtta make a swing out tire/gear carrier that hinges on one and latches on the other.

Another thing.....you should make a crossbrace for the sliders that travels underneath the body and attaches at the bumper....making a triangle. It would give them a lot more support
Old 06-19-2008, 07:24 PM

I'm not really understanding those 'Sliders'. What purpose do they serve, other than bending into the body and causing a ton of body damage themselves?

Nice job on the frame fix tho.
Old 06-19-2008, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by RiNkY
I'm not really understanding those 'Sliders'. What purpose do they serve, other than bending into the body and causing a ton of body damage themselves?

Nice job on the frame fix tho.
I was thinking the same. It may be worthwhile to support the bottom of your slider there off the frame at the point most towards the wheel well.
Old 06-19-2008, 07:39 PM

i dont think you guys saw it then its welded up to the rear bumper and it goes under the body and is welded up to the frame by the wheel heres a picture of the slider i think i get what everyones saying now and yes there strong ill take a picture of me hanging on the side of the truck by it it dont move and it dont flex into the body but heres the picture and you can say its beefy sorry i didnt mean to hide it from you guys lol

Old 06-19-2008, 10:55 PM

Lovely choice of font, Allan.....tehehe.

All I can say is your body weight wouldn't have near the impact of your vehicle against rocks. But, if you believe it's strong enough....well, I'll guess you'll see. It may be just fine and we'll all be eatin' crow.

Maybe put atleast one more bar across the middle....horizontally...to protect the body being that the slider has such a wide opening and all.

Last edited by thook; 06-19-2008 at 10:57 PM.
Old 06-20-2008, 05:49 PM

well the sliders are just a start to the big list i have planed

rear tyre holder swing out and everythang

a nice smaller exo

and a foot bar thingy that you step on to get into the truck frame slider i think
Old 06-20-2008, 06:02 PM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by just a 22re
im thinking as for the big holes on the sliders maybe a gastank??? or even better taking them off and welding up a air tank...

outside frame repair

inside frame repair

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but there is no way in hell your welding is good enough to make anything that will hold air. My 6 year old can weld better. A for effort...but those welds are boogers...no penetration and all over the place.

Originally Posted by just a 22re

Again, that welding won't last as the "stringer" goes from frame to patch plate and all over the place and there looks to be very little penetration, they are just all sitting on top of the base metal.

Prep your metal, get a bigger welder and freaking learn to weld if your gonna post pictures of it on the internet.

Old 06-21-2008, 10:01 AM

um ok not to be mean but they are welded though and though trust me on this one man and as for me not knowing how to weld then how did i get state cert? in more then one type of welding??? but to be honst yes they are a lil all over the place as i fell over a few times welding but they are fully welded and not coming off heck i pulled the truck over to the side and lifted it with the patch weld so there good over head cranes are nice

Quick Reply: ah getting paid to work on my truck!!! lots of pics