Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

adding power to 3.0

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2006, 12:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
adding power to 3.0

Just picked up and awesome 94 4runner. Fully loaded with every availible option well taken care of by doctor owner who recently spent $8500 on service and restorations. He was even nice enough to give the dealer I bought it from the receipts from all work done and his personal number for any questions. This is my second 4runner my first being an 87 that a lady totalled running into it two weeks after I bought it a few years back. After researching and driving I found that a common issue on these is the lack of power with the 3.0. I was wondering if anyone had ideas on simple upgrades and tips and tricks to beefing the truck up a bit. The brand new out of the box engine is great professionally installed by the toyota dealer as well as new clutch and even having the tranny gone through. Gas mileage is even better than I thought first initial numbers are showing around 20 to 22 on the highway. Any ideas thanks in advance.
Old 05-07-2006, 01:47 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Can of worms. Don't ask. Do a search and you'll get more information than you ever wanted. Welcome to the forum.
Old 05-07-2006, 01:49 PM

How much power do you want?
Old 05-07-2006, 03:13 PM

headers, K&N FIPK, high performance cams...forced induction has too many headgasket problems
Old 05-07-2006, 03:29 PM

95runnersr5 - how many people do you know who have tried forced induction on the 3.0 and had headgasket problems?

Maybe that's asking too much - do you know anyone who has tried forced induction on the 3.0?
Old 05-07-2006, 04:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by CoedNaked
95runnersr5 - how many people do you know who have tried forced induction on the 3.0 and had headgasket problems?

Maybe that's asking too much - do you know anyone who has tried forced induction on the 3.0?
It's been done. There are a couple threads on here w/ pix. Not sure how many problems associtated, tho.

Mike in AR
Old 05-07-2006, 05:44 PM

I would stand by the fact that there are decently tuned "sporty" engines that still have problems with forced induction. I'd stay away from that. It just seems like overkill for what you wanted the Runner for anyways.

Headers are the best lb. for lb. upgrade for out engine. you'll need to lift the engine a foot or so to work them end. But this is the best bang for the buck.
Bob got good use out of his. Here is his write up: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f130/v6-3-0-header-install-75128/

A Flowmaster or Borla performance muffler is another good idea, and relatively inexpensive too. https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f130/2nd-gen-4runner-borla-muffler-install-75171/ On top of this I'd get a SuperCat which isn't that much more than the flowmaster. You can sell a good working cat on ebay to someone in a state with smog testing that theirs can't pass.

The intake silencer removal mod will require some handiwork. I haven't done it myself, but haven't heard much complaints either. https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f130/intake-silencer-removal-mod-2nd-gen-4runner-75167/
Old 05-07-2006, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by CoedNaked

i was looking for a forced induction system for my 4runner as well and found that most everyone using or tried using one has had headgasket problems. but throw away the crossover exhaust and add some headers and some of your HG problems go out the door

Last edited by 95RunnerSR5; 05-07-2006 at 07:19 PM.
Old 05-07-2006, 07:36 PM

954runner, I have yet to hear or see of one on this discussion board or others I frequent. Perhaps you could find me some examples - because everyone ouh's and ahhs when someone talks about how they are going to do it but I never end up seeing the results, and all you hear is a bunch of theory about how hard it would be to do, blah blah.
Old 05-07-2006, 07:53 PM
Contributing Member

i'd throw on some manual hubs first, then do the ISR mod and a k&n drop in replacement filter into the stock airbox. If you don't want to build the ISR tube yourself, check out toyboxfab.com. He makes them. If you time it right, you might find him doing a group buy. I got mine for $50. After that, i'd add some exhaust. I can't comment on headers, as i haven't done that yet, but plenty of people say they are the best thing for getting power out of the 3.0.
Old 05-07-2006, 07:53 PM

94sr5guy

I think it sounds like you have a nice stock 4runner going that has been well maintained and had a lot of attention paid to it. I think you need to decide exactly what you want to do with it. There are some fairly "tame" performance mods that will gain you respectable horsepower, and maintain the "stock integrity" of the truck if its fair to say and there are mods that will require major modification or alteration.

I would say some fairly tame mods that will gain you a little more get up and go are

1. Cat-back exhaust system as mentioned above. The key here though is quality. A strong consensus will suggest that a 2 1/4" mandrel bent cat-back with a high quality performance muffler will net you some descent HP and a cool sound. I'm partial to Borla. Borla has a cat-back, as linked to above, that I think you should have a strong look at. It's a solid, quality, set up and the few that I've talked to who have done it say it's one of their favourite mods.

2. Intake mods - a few here - One mod is the K & N FIPK (Fuel Injection Performance Kit). Now on a stock truck alone, this kit which costs a chunk of change (about $200-250 US) isn't worth it in many peoples opinions. For instance it only nets you like 3 peak horsepower which equivocates to like 1 or 2 horespower in the useable range for the most part. But, and I stress the but, I would imagine if you had a good exhaust system installed as mentioned in #1, this kit might give more of an overall performance gain because an exahust system compliments an intake mod. Your engine can push out more air through the exhaust, and suck it more air through the intake.
There are other cheaper options to the FIPK Kit by K & N, but what I like about the K & N kit is it allows you to take out your stock air box and silencer, and you have the option to put it back. If you drill holes in the silencer or do the ISR mod, which will gain you probably about the same horsepower only much cheaper, you can't go back to the stock air box if you want to unless you pay $$$ to buy the parts somewhere again (some people like the quietness of the stock air box). Either way you go though, intake mods will cause more of a sucking sound, and an exhaust system will get louder. I like what I hear from those who have gotten the Borla exhaust system installed though. They say it's like the stock system, only it has more bass, and it is quiet while cruising but loud when you stomp on it.

3. This mod is a lot less tame but judged by many to be the most significant mod on the 3.0 as far as horespower gained. Headers. Keep in mind you can't do headers on the 3.0 without doing an exhaust or it's pointless as the headers need a good exhaust system to properly do their job and make a performance gain. YOu may required a body lift, and movement of key components to install them. Many feel the install is a major PITA, and expensive for the gains received.

4. Timing mods - advancing the timing as mentioned, but you may need to run higher octane gas.

5. Something that isn't talked about too much, but there are ignition systems out there that will give you more spark and performance.

But I think you should start with an exhaust - again very tame but may yield you a bit more power. And then go from there.
Old 05-09-2006, 07:18 AM

thanks again

I just wanted to say thanks again to all who responded. I wouldnt even think of putting forced induction on a 4runner. I want to keep mine as stock as possible but achieve a bit more pedal response and acceleration. From research Ive decided to go with the intake mod of taking off the silencer and drilling a few holes in the airbox. I wouldnt mind the header idea although as far as the exhaust I really dont want no loud or performance tone. I want the quiet stock type sound. After all mine is fully loaded with leather and all options I would like to keep it as luxury and nice as it can be. Im going to see what happens with the intake mod and maybe dropping in some upgraded plugs and wires and other minor stuff. Thanks for your input.
Old 05-09-2006, 07:28 AM

add power = ditch the auto & put in a manual
Old 05-09-2006, 07:44 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
there is a marked diffrence between my 5speed, man hubs, headers, intake etc PU and my (stock) auto 4runner.

I personally belive headers make a noticable diffrance when combined with intake and exhaust. they ARE a roal PITA to install.

As proof of the above im ALMOST! (its soooo close) to having my 4runner running again after doing the above (and a rebuilld). Ill have to report on the sucess of the headers etc.
Old 05-09-2006, 07:57 AM
Contributing Member

From what I've read here (and elsewhere), any mods that increase power will decrease gas mileage. If you're getting 20-22 you seem to be on the high end of the spectrum. Like the man says, if it ain't broke . . .

Do you have the ECT button? I use that when I'm pulling out into heavy traffic and need quick (heh heh, relative term) acceleration. Otherwise, I just got used to the way she accelerates normally.

BTW, it sounds like you found a real nice 4Runner. Congrats! Care to post any pics?