Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

ADDED EXTENDED SCHAKLES this weekend

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2005, 04:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ADDED EXTENDED SCHAKLES this weekend

Hi GUys,

I put my extneded shackles on over the weekend.

Let me just say while the process as defined is easy the work required is a whole different monster.

Removing old schakles seems easy enough except for the 11 years worth of rust and mud on them are very happy staying exactly where they are.

Once you do the get the plate of the side of the schakle the you have rubber bushing that have managed to become one with the bolts.

Once you have managed to get the schakel out then there is that pesky metal casing inside the eye of the spring. This one was a killer for sure.

I managed to beat each one of these obstacles. SOme of them literally.

I used liberal amounts of WD40 for the rust. the 1/2 drive ratchet with a pipe on the end for the rusty bolts. They screamed with every turn.

I used a drill to cut through the rubber bushings untill they were shredded enough I could use a SPUD bar to pry them out.

Then for the pesky metal casing. I used screw drivers and chisels and hammers. Breaking one hammer handle when trying to use it as a pry bar. Went and bought a new hammer and 3lb sledge. That finally got me through one side. I beat on the other side for several hours to no avail. I went to autozone bought an air hammer\chisel. I went back an 10 minutes later had the other side out.

Total time was about 8 hours not counting the trips to get new tools.

Installation of the new parts was a breeze.

Just wanted give others some idea of what to expect.
Have the correct tools and it will go much smoother.

Oh and the last hassel was a spare tire that is permanetly mounted under my truck. The crank seems to be rusted so bad that it wont come down.

Any tips on getting this down would be appreciated.

Thanks Sorry for the long post just thought someone might want to know what to expect.

Joel
Old 12-19-2005, 05:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would say, get some sort of penetrant that is better than wd-40, like pb blaster or deep creep and hose the winch mechanism down as best you can, do it multiple times, then try, if it still doesn't work, you may have to cut it off and install a new one...
Old 12-19-2005, 08:44 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PB blaster for sure