Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

AC CDS Fan issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2018, 07:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AC CDS Fan issue

1995 4Runner 3VZE Automatic.
I was bragging up my AC to my GF the other day,...I should have known better. Damn thing shoots out 38 degree air on a 90 degree. It's been working great all season.
Two days ago we jump in to hit Menards and it started off cold then suddenly ambient air coming from the vents.
I pulled over and popped the hood, yep compressors running, blower motors running, truck is running cool like it always has since I replaced the radiator with an aluminum one. ( best thing I ever did for this truck)
But I noticed my CDS fan is not running. I popped the relay / fuse locker under hood and started rapping on the relays but the fan would not come on.
Took her home and checked the 30 amp CDS fuse. Its all good. Fan still wont run. Later that evening we run out to grab a bite to eat and the damn thing starts running again and my AC is once again as cold as heck.
So I'm looking through the service manual (OEM) and see that the CDS relays seem to be ultimately controlled by the AC amplifier?
Since the problem is intermittent I'm not sure if the amplifier is at fault, or the CDS fan itself, or the relays.
Anyone else have an opinion or share a similar problem?
At this point I feel like running a temporary 12v LED in parallel with the CDS fan power connector so I can monitor if the loom loses power, or if the fan is starting to die.

Thanks!

Last edited by scrid; 06-11-2018 at 07:53 AM.
Old 07-16-2021, 04:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CDS Fan Relay issues?

Originally Posted by scrid
1995 4Runner 3VZE Automatic.
I was bragging up my AC to my GF the other day,...I should have known better. Damn thing shoots out 38 degree air on a 90 degree. It's been working great all season.
Two days ago we jump in to hit Menards and it started off cold then suddenly ambient air coming from the vents.
I pulled over and popped the hood, yep compressors running, blower motors running, truck is running cool like it always has since I replaced the radiator with an aluminum one. ( best thing I ever did for this truck)
But I noticed my CDS fan is not running. I popped the relay / fuse locker under hood and started rapping on the relays but the fan would not come on.
Took her home and checked the 30 amp CDS fuse. Its all good. Fan still wont run. Later that evening we run out to grab a bite to eat and the damn thing starts running again and my AC is once again as cold as heck.
So I'm looking through the service manual (OEM) and see that the CDS relays seem to be ultimately controlled by the AC amplifier?
Since the problem is intermittent I'm not sure if the amplifier is at fault, or the CDS fan itself, or the relays.
Anyone else have an opinion or share a similar problem?
At this point I feel like running a temporary 12v LED in parallel with the CDS fan power connector so I can monitor if the loom loses power, or if the fan is starting to die.

Thanks!

I am having the same exact issues. It is over 90 and hot, fan works great, then if I turn on my blinker, hit the breaks, or turn the fan from high to low it kills the FAN for the AC. Once things cool down it works again. I checked the CDS Relay 1 and 2 and both are hot to the touch.

I am going to try and replace both if I can find the parts. I have a 1994 4Runner SR5 . I love my truck and want to fix this issue without paying $1,000.

Benjamin

Old 07-19-2021, 02:28 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
The AC amplifier is the computer that controls the AC mounted to the left of the blower motor.
Time to break out the Multimeter with the AC running check if you have voltage to the condenser fan .

If you do it tells you time for a new fan

Relays are simple to test with a 12 volt power source .

Happy trouble shooting