Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

AC Blower not working on low speeds??

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2006, 06:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking AC Blower not working on low speeds??

I searched and didnt really find anything.

When I bought my truck, my AC worked on everything but the LOW speed, now, it only works on the med-high, and high speed, and every once and a while I have to mess with it to get the med-high to work....I know I shouldnt be complaining because my ac does work...but it just gets tooo cold!!! Haha, on trips to the beach or something it will freeze you out!!!

Would this be a blower motor problem?
Old 10-07-2006, 09:07 AM

No, it's a very common problem. My truck does the exact same thing. I just grabbed a different blower switch out of a junkyard truck and I am planning on testing it to see if it works better. If not, I'm planning to dissect the switch to see if I can repair it. Will report here on my findings...
Old 10-07-2006, 09:45 AM

Bad Blower resistor pack is the likely cause. On the older trucks its on the box behind the glove box. It will be mounted through the side of the blower box and probably has 4 wires going to it. I would think simular placement on yours. On ly Supra it was right next to the fan.

Check the fuses as well. High on most blowers is run from a different path. All the lower speeds run through the resistor pack.
Old 10-07-2006, 04:21 PM

Look under the dash on the passenger side behind the blower. You will see a little plug with a couple wires coming from it with 2 screws holding the resistor in. Pull it out and I'd bet you will find a couple of the coils burned apart like a fuse. Mine had the same symptoms and I got one in a junkyard for @ $5.
Old 10-07-2006, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by digdug
Look under the dash on the passenger side behind the blower. You will see a little plug with a couple wires coming from it with 2 screws holding the resistor in. Pull it out and I'd bet you will find a couple of the coils burned apart like a fuse. Mine had the same symptoms and I got one in a junkyard for @ $5.
same thing happened to me and i bought one from the dealer for like 20 bux. the coils were split right in half and the other one for the third speed was on its last leg "coil". lol
Old 03-19-2007, 02:33 PM

The dealer quoted me $78 for a blower motor resistior for a 1992 4runner.

Has anybody had luck with an aftermarket?

Can somebody tell me a toyota part number. Maybe I can try a different dealer on-line. I didn't get it from the dealer.

Does anybody have a picture of one of these on or off the vehical?
Old 03-19-2007, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by 1989toy4wd
I searched and didnt really find anything.

When I bought my truck, my AC worked on everything but the LOW speed, now, it only works on the med-high, and high speed, and every once and a while I have to mess with it to get the med-high to work....I know I shouldnt be complaining because my ac does work...but it just gets tooo cold!!! Haha, on trips to the beach or something it will freeze you out!!!

Would this be a blower motor problem?
Could also be the blower switch, real PITA to get out, but the tell tale sign is dark spots, melting on the switch. When they melt, the contacts move away from the correct location to make contact for each speed until that speed no longer works. Ever smell something hot when it's running? Worth a look.

Resistor is easy to get to, so that should be rather simple.
Old 03-19-2007, 04:55 PM

I looked at the resistor. It was easy to get at. The inside screw up at the firewall was a little harder than the other. The connector was connected to a reciver. The receiver had 5 (I think) flat connectors that terminated into a white block about an inch and a half long and about the size of a stick of butter. All of the connectors going into the white block looked intact. I assume that this is what would have gone bad. I couldn't get the resistor to come out of the opening. Since it looked alright I didn't see a reason to remove it all of the way.

The problem I have is actually different than the ones I read about. My problem is the lower two speeds work and the high two speeds don't. Most people seem to have the high speeds and not the low. After inspecting the resistor I think it must be the blower switch itself. I don't look forward to removing the dash to get at it.

Anybody have a part number or price on the blower switch?

Last edited by Dan_in_WI; 03-19-2007 at 04:56 PM.
Old 03-19-2007, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by Dan_in_WI
I looked at the resistor. It was easy to get at. The inside screw up at the firewall was a little harder than the other. The connector was connected to a reciver. The receiver had 5 (I think) flat connectors that terminated into a white block about an inch and a half long and about the size of a stick of butter. All of the connectors going into the white block looked intact. I assume that this is what would have gone bad. I couldn't get the resistor to come out of the opening. Since it looked alright I didn't see a reason to remove it all of the way.

The problem I have is actually different than the ones I read about. My problem is the lower two speeds work and the high two speeds don't. Most people seem to have the high speeds and not the low. After inspecting the resistor I think it must be the blower switch itself. I don't look forward to removing the dash to get at it.

Anybody have a part number or price on the blower switch?
I got one at the bone yard for $10 and about a foot of the wiring harness, turned out I needed it. Switch go so hot, it ruined the wiring about an inch into the harness.