86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

about ready to just part it out

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 08:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
3vze almost dies on acceleration

i know ive posted a few threads about my 1993 4runner 3.0l automatic but i just dont know what to do anymore. im about ready to part it out and just buy american again. im having a problem where the truck is harder to start and it misfires at idle. i can gas the truck in park and the rpms will rise but as soon as i put it in gear, the idle surges and gets a lot lower like 500rpm. as soon as i press the gas in drive it wants to die and makes a clunk from the engine then backfires and it doesnt want to move at all. it does have aftermarket exhaust and cold air intake which im wondering if either of those could be my problem.
IVE REPLACED SO FAR
-valve cover gaskets
-pcv
-plenum
-fuel filter
-plugs wires cap and rotor
-and throttle body gasket
-maf sensor
nothing seemed to work. my problem still exists with little to no change at all.
i dont have the money right now to take it to a shop and even if i did, its so bad that it would have to be towed. the trucks almost gotten me killed taking a left cause it wouldnt go over 5mph at full throttle. i really need help right now and i know this is the best place to find it.

Last edited by Charecter1; 07-30-2014 at 08:30 PM.
Old 07-30-2014, 09:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What all have to tested? Do the rpms rise sluggish as heck when in park or does the motor behave completely normal?

Last edited by rworegon; 07-31-2014 at 03:13 AM.
Old 07-30-2014, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by Rowdydudeman
What all have to tested? Do the rpms rise sluggish as heck when in park or does the motor behave completely normal?
Honestly the only thing I've tested is vacuum and fuel pressure. All checked out okay. Itll idle fine in park and rpms will rise normally but it still has a slight misfire.

Last edited by rworegon; 07-31-2014 at 03:14 AM.
Old 07-31-2014, 12:09 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

In all this time has the check engine light come on??

How many miles??

When was the timing belt last done??

I have never owned a auto trans is that working like it should??
Old 07-31-2014, 12:58 AM

Originally Posted by wyoming9
In all this time has the check engine light come on??

How many miles??

When was the timing belt last done??

I have never owned a auto trans is that working like it should??
No CEL light what so ever... 211,000 miles and timing belt was changed 10,000 mikes ago. The transmission shifts fine and the rpms will shoot but it takes forever to even get it over 2k rpms, its like its starving for gas or air.
Old 07-31-2014, 06:26 AM

I'd pressure test the cooling system and see if the head gaskets are pooling coolant into the cylinders on cool down.
Old 07-31-2014, 08:22 AM

Received 109 Likes on 67 Posts
You have to test things before you replace them!

Why did you change the plenum????

How is your timing? This is a common problem I am seeing tha tpeople have their timing chain/belt replaced and think everythign is back together perfectly.. perhaps it's simply your timing is off by a lot. How is your ignition system working? Check the ignition system components.. search the forum for each one and you will find many threads to aid you.

If you get lazy and want to part it, post a pic here.. I need some parts
Old 07-31-2014, 09:14 AM
RBX

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
You don't have a MAF, you have a VAFM.

Even if you do not have a CEL, check for codes using the diagnostics jumper method.

Sounds to me like you have a vacuum leak or distributor is waaaayyy off.

Get us some picks under the hood.

Where are you located.
Old 07-31-2014, 10:06 AM

So there are no stored codes either so what ever it is, she doesn't want to tell me. I have a hunch that the timing might be off because I don't even know the mechanic who did it. I'm located in Arizona so its brutal to work on the yota here. I replaced the plenum because it needed valve cover gaskets so why not do that gasket while its off.
Old 07-31-2014, 10:17 AM
RBX

Oh, plenum gasket...you said plenum, so why would you replace the plenum...nevermind.

OK, no codes stored, it does happen. I still want pics of your intake, air filter and vacuum hose area.

Next you'll need to check the timing, got a timing light? you could at least line up the tic marks on the cam pulleys while she is off to check if they are at least close(the PO on my rig must have aligned the timing blind folded and with his feet).
Old 07-31-2014, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by RBX
Oh, plenum gasket...you said plenum, so why would you replace the plenum...nevermind.

OK, no codes stored, it does happen. I still want pics of your intake, air filter and vacuum hose area.

Next you'll need to check the timing, got a timing light? you could at least line up the tic marks on the cam pulleys while she is off to check if they are at least close(the PO on my rig must have aligned the timing blind folded and with his feet).
Yeah the plenum gasket, I would be branded an idiot if I replaced the actual plenum for no reason. I do have a timing light and I feel like the mechanic who did mine was a 5 year old because he took off my windshield fluid motor off and destroyed it to get to my timing belt. (Don't know why)
Old 07-31-2014, 10:42 AM

so heres some pictures of my vacuum lines and intake, they arent the greatest so just let me know if you need more.
Attached Thumbnails about ready to just part it out-img_20140731_113410_799-2-.jpg   about ready to just part it out-img_20140731_113403_101-2-.jpg   about ready to just part it out-img_20140731_113355_188-2-.jpg  
Old 07-31-2014, 11:10 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Just when did this whole problem start??

If it was running good something had to have happened.

Did you change or install something ??

You checked the fuel pressure what kind of numbers??
Old 07-31-2014, 11:42 AM
RBX

^^^ what he said.
Check that the vac lines coming off the power steering are not broken, at the pump (its a plastic piece and over time can become brittle).

Also, confirm your vac hoses are all correct

Last edited by RBX; 07-31-2014 at 11:44 AM.
Old 07-31-2014, 11:44 AM

Well when I first bought it the problem was masked somehow by setting the timing to 20btdc so it would start fine and idle at like 1500 and accelerate fine but then a couple minutes later it wouldn't accelerate. And then you could turn it off and back on and it would be okay for a little again. So it's had it since I bought it but the guy somehow masked it. He also said a fuse blew to the radio so it wouldn't work and he put in another fuse from his wife's runner.
Old 07-31-2014, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by wyoming9
Just when did this whole problem start??

If it was running good something had to have happened.

Did you change or install something ??

You checked the fuel pressure what kind of numbers??
Fuel pressure read between 38 and 40psi.
Old 07-31-2014, 11:49 AM
RBX

Sounds like the timing is screwy, but that wouldn't make it run ok for a few minutes then go all goofy. Unless the ECU thinks it can correct the problem till it runs out of adjustment

Maybe the distributor is off a tooth or two.

Check the timing and report back....
Old 07-31-2014, 12:00 PM

Received 109 Likes on 67 Posts
Originally Posted by Charecter1
Well when I first bought it the problem was masked somehow by setting the timing to 20btdc so it would start fine and idle at like 1500 and accelerate fine but then a couple minutes later it wouldn't accelerate. And then you could turn it off and back on and it would be okay for a little again. So it's had it since I bought it but the guy somehow masked it. He also said a fuse blew to the radio so it wouldn't work and he put in another fuse from his wife's runner.
Unplug your cold start injector and try running your car. Easy test to see if problem is caused by leaky injector.
Old 07-31-2014, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by Gevo
Unplug your cold start injector and try running your car. Easy test to see if problem is caused by leaky injector.
What would I see with that test? Like what will the truck do when the pull the injector off and it does have a leaky injector.
Old 07-31-2014, 12:18 PM

Where in Az are you? I'm located in Queen Creek and could take a look at it. Mine had a similar issue. It was the timing on mine. Someone had the timing so far retarded that I had to full throttle it to move the Damn truck. The timing should be set at 10° BTDC.

Quick Reply: about ready to just part it out