86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

'95 won't start

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 02:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question '95 won't start

My mom has a '95 Runner and it's had a few battery issues before. She's had to jump it off a few times, but it's always worked and the battery is only 2.5 years old and it's an Interstate.

She was out of town and I went over to start the car because it was very cold and it hadn't been driven in about a week. It started after a longer-than-normal pause, but there were no clicking noises like there would be if the battery was dead. It did turn over, but like I said it took longer than normal.

My mom tried to start the car five days later and it wouldn't start. She jumped it off and it still wouldn't start. I got her one of those everstart jumpstart things that you charge and then use to start the battery, and we tried it a few days later. It still wouldn't start.

Here's the thing: there were no clicking noises when I turned the key. Only one guage moved when I turned the key: the one that shows the battery charge. It came over maybe 1/4 or 1/3 of the way, but no other guage or lights on the dash came on. I also had tried to unlock the car with the remote and it didn't work: I had to use the key. The automatic lock/unlock button didn't work either, which I assumed was because of the dead battery.

My main question is, are there known problems with this generation 4Runner that could be the problem? We're trying to avoid having it towed. It has a reconditioned Jasper 3.0 engine in it since it blew a head gasket in '05 and my mom had to replace the engine. The car has been well-maintained since my mom bought it, and has had all maintenance done. It had 106K on it when the engine was replaced. The only bad thing is that it isn't driven too regularly, maybe once every two or three weeks. But my mom usually starts it at least once a week.

Thanks for any help or suggestions.
Old 02-22-2007, 04:01 PM

Sounds like a dead battery, take it to autozone and have them test it to see if its bad? My friends Range Rover does the same thing seeing as its only driven once cob webs form over the tires lol but whenever we hook up a battery starter it starts right up?
Old 02-22-2007, 04:25 PM

i had a bettery going in my truck. I waited till it started leaking. It ate my wawsher fluid pump and the front of my coat.
Old 02-22-2007, 05:02 PM

You don't run it enough to keep the battery charged. Or you have a bad alternator that is drawing down your battery.
Old 02-22-2007, 05:22 PM

My problem with starting my 95 4Runner was corrosion on the positive connection at the starter. When I found it, after having to push start the car a few times, I fixed it easily. I just loosened and tightened the nut (maybe I cleaned it too). It's worth a shot!
Old 02-23-2007, 05:16 AM

I can't take it to Autozone because I can't get it going!

I may take a look at the connections. But I'm not really very good at diagnosing and fixing car problems.

Gonna go by and get my mechanic's opinion. I just thought it wasn't the battery because there's no clicking when I try to start it.
Old 02-23-2007, 06:32 AM

Starter motor contacts are a frequent problem and pretty easy and cheap to fix. See link
Personally I buy cheap batteries and replace them each year to avoid headache.

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/...taOnlyProducts