Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

95 pick up not running right

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 04:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up 95 pick up not running right

My 95 pick has about 150 thousand miles on her now and it aint running right. It is very sluggish above 55 miles per hour not to mention a terrible noise that sounds off when i let off the gas above 55mph like a vibrating or knocking noise. The rev also jumps up and down sitting still and from time to time it will blow out smoke at random times driving down the road. I replaced my timing chain a few months ago and dont know if this is related or not. There doesnt seem to be much power in second thru fourth and the motor just doesnt run smooth. If anybody can offer any suggestions to thatd be great and if i need to buy a reman where to buy a good one from
Old 01-22-2008, 05:29 PM

HELP with th 95 4 runner ????

I have a 95 2WD SR5 4 runner she has a 106,XXX on her. The motor a couple of times has just almost died on me right after I started her enough for me to put the foot down on the pedal so she wouldnt die!! ... I have a constant ticking sound ??? valves ?? Rods?? Lifters?? I dont know?. I need some help too?? ....When I bought her she had a crank case leak, had that fixed with an additional tune up as well with Iridium spark plugs 600$ for that... She doesnt drop a drip now!! lol... However, I do havce a constant ticking sound the gets faster with the gas pedal action?? some say injectors, some say lifters?? PLEASE HELP ??? She seems to run ok also I have noticed a very strange sound that eminates from under the dash like leaves rustleing??? anyone have any idea what that could be??? Its on the drivers side semms to be the left side under the steering wheel?? Her butt sags too?? She has running boards I want to take off and sell or trade for neft bars but they tell me there from the factory and cant be taken off without looking really bad??? How is that possible?? I will put pics up tomorrow as I would like to get into this forum I love toys!! I love my 4 runner I see of your guys other runners and let me tell you!!! AWESOME RIGS YOU GUYS HAVE.... I Would like to, as they say DO UP MY RIG WITHOUT BEING TAKEN ADVANTAGE OF.. Im sure everyone here was once in my shoes.. So we will start there and Thanks for havin me I will do my best to contribute to best of my knowledge everything I do to my rig..
Old 01-23-2008, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by jrussel0
My 95 pick has about 150 thousand miles on her now and it aint running right. It is very sluggish above 55 miles per hour not to mention a terrible noise that sounds off when i let off the gas above 55mph like a vibrating or knocking noise. The rev also jumps up and down sitting still and from time to time it will blow out smoke at random times driving down the road. I replaced my timing chain a few months ago and dont know if this is related or not. There doesnt seem to be much power in second thru fourth and the motor just doesnt run smooth. If anybody can offer any suggestions to thatd be great and if i need to buy a reman where to buy a good one from
Sounds like a rod to me... may already have damaged the cylinder... don't bother with a reman in the 3.0, look into at least a 3.4.
Old 01-23-2008, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by 4RNER-1
I have a 95 2WD SR5 4 runner she has a 106,XXX on her. The motor a couple of times has just almost died on me right after I started her enough for me to put the foot down on the pedal so she wouldnt die!! ... I have a constant ticking sound ??? valves ?? Rods?? Lifters?? I dont know?. I need some help too?? ....When I bought her she had a crank case leak, had that fixed with an additional tune up as well with Iridium spark plugs 600$ for that... She doesnt drop a drip now!! lol... However, I do havce a constant ticking sound the gets faster with the gas pedal action?? some say injectors, some say lifters?? PLEASE HELP ??? She seems to run ok also I have noticed a very strange sound that eminates from under the dash like leaves rustleing??? anyone have any idea what that could be??? Its on the drivers side semms to be the left side under the steering wheel?? Her butt sags too?? She has running boards I want to take off and sell or trade for neft bars but they tell me there from the factory and cant be taken off without looking really bad??? How is that possible?? I will put pics up tomorrow as I would like to get into this forum I love toys!! I love my 4 runner I see of your guys other runners and let me tell you!!! AWESOME RIGS YOU GUYS HAVE.... I Would like to, as they say DO UP MY RIG WITHOUT BEING TAKEN ADVANTAGE OF.. Im sure everyone here was once in my shoes.. So we will start there and Thanks for havin me I will do my best to contribute to best of my knowledge everything I do to my rig..
the ticking is usually the lifters.. you can try seafoam (search around for advice on introducing seafoam into higher milage engines.) to help clean them up, or lucas oil treatment (worked the best for my lifter noise). as for the running boards, i think you found the answer to that... they are very easy to take off, a socket set and 20 minutes ought to do it.
Old 01-23-2008, 09:39 AM

its a 2.4 cyl will that engine fit into the existing parts i have on it now after i remove the old block?
Old 01-23-2008, 10:30 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
IT MAY NOT BE THE RODS!

What color is the smoke?

If the engine is misfiring badly enough, it will do that knocking and vibrating as the engine is flooding with fuel without sufficient spark or airflow to ignite it. You get a loss of compression and the pistons and valvetrain are sluggish as a result.

When was your last major tune up?

Inspect the plugs, wires, rotor, cap, airflow meter, and throttle position sensor.

This will help:http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b...fsm/index.html

Last edited by thook; 01-23-2008 at 10:32 AM.
Old 01-23-2008, 02:32 PM

I have a 95 22re and I am having similar problems. But I had a tune up about 2 months ago. When I crank the truck up in the mornings it idles perfectly...but if i try to go somewhere (doesnt matter how long i let the truck warm) it kind of hesitates, stalls out (i can hold my foot to the floor and no rpms will turn it just sits there slowly picking up speed)and finally kicks in like it should. But if the truck is warm it runs like a champ...but wont idle worth a flip! Whats the deal with this?
Old 01-24-2008, 05:49 AM

IT MAY NOT BE THE RODS!

What color is the smoke?

If the engine is misfiring badly enough, it will do that knocking and vibrating as the engine is flooding with fuel without sufficient spark or airflow to ignite it. You get a loss of compression and the pistons and valvetrain are sluggish as a result.

When was your last major tune up?

Inspect the plugs, wires, rotor, cap, airflow meter, and throttle position sensor.

This will help:http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b...fsm/index.html
Old 01-25-2008, 06:01 PM

Im going to try lucas treatment i tried that for the injectors. Someone gave me mystery oil??? Said try that ?? Should I??, Thanks for the sugestions I will look into that sea foam and let you know what I found out.. It's with the help of you and this forum that are help building this rig
Old 01-25-2008, 08:09 PM

I solved my problem...SEAFOAM WORKS WONDERS! Seriously I used seafoam as suggested by many on the site...and it worked great. I used the brake booster line, i also adjusted my idle too. It idles like a champ now, and runs better than it ever has...believe it or not i can hold 80 on the highway easy now...so fun passing other cars! lol...but seriously jrussel try the seafoam if u havent!
Old 01-27-2008, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by 4RNER-1
Im going to try lucas treatment i tried that for the injectors. Someone gave me mystery oil??? Said try that ?? Should I??, Thanks for the sugestions I will look into that sea foam and let you know what I found out.. It's with the help of you and this forum that are help building this rig
sure man no problem, think ill give it a try to.