Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

'95 4Runner on Death Bed

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2007, 05:15 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'95 4Runner on Death Bed

I took the '95 to a mechanic to have him drop the tranny, install a new rear main seal which had been leaking, and put a new clutch, throwout and pilot bearing in. I went in to get the flywheel from him and get it refaced and he told me he needed to show me something.

We crawled under the car and he showed me the pilot shaft was badly worn, which means either a tranny rebuild or buying a used one (about $475 at the salvage) and the rear main wasn't leaking. It looks like either valve cover gaskets or head gaskets. And since I've been smelling anti-freeze for about 2 years and been trying to find the leaky hose....my bet is on leaky head gasket.

She's had 9 years with me and a quarter million miles. I'll probably buy a replacement tranny, button her back up, and drive her until I have everything saved up for a 1kzt diesel swap and a resto-mod on the old girl. I can't sell her...too sentimental and too great of a vehicle. And I'm just not in love with the new FJ or car payments.
Old 10-21-2007, 05:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lol......tears came to my eyes.
Old 10-21-2007, 09:22 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
at least those mechanics are nice enough to pull you in and show you whats up. here they scam the hell out of you..

yeah, i definately understand the sentimental value

quarter million =
Old 10-21-2007, 03:28 PM
Contributing Member

might have to sweet talk lady hayduke to let you borrow her runner the odd time! that diesel swap sounds like the way to go in the long run, keep us posted on your decision.

lee
Old 10-21-2007, 04:12 PM

Tranny

Originally Posted by gwhayduke
I took the '95 to a mechanic to have him drop the tranny, install a new rear main seal which had been leaking, and put a new clutch, throwout and pilot bearing in. I went in to get the flywheel from him and get it refaced and he told me he needed to show me something.

We crawled under the car and he showed me the pilot shaft was badly worn, which means either a tranny rebuild or buying a used one (about $475 at the salvage) and the rear main wasn't leaking. It looks like either valve cover gaskets or head gaskets. And since I've been smelling anti-freeze for about 2 years and been trying to find the leaky hose....my bet is on leaky head gasket.

She's had 9 years with me and a quarter million miles. I'll probably buy a replacement tranny, button her back up, and drive her until I have everything saved up for a 1kzt diesel swap and a resto-mod on the old girl. I can't sell her...too sentimental and too great of a vehicle. And I'm just not in love with the new FJ or car payments.
Can't you replace the pilot shaft without doing a complete rebuild ?
Old 10-21-2007, 05:25 PM

I just finished putting a diesel in my 92 pickup on Friday and its definately the way to go. Lots of power and great on fuel. 3 inch straight pipe and you got yourself a small truck that sounds huge .
Old 10-22-2007, 03:28 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by n4ynu1010
Can't you replace the pilot shaft without doing a complete rebuild ?
I don't know for sure, but I think the pilot shaft is the main shaft in the tranny, which means a rebuild, if I go that route. I'd rather rebuild the current tranny than use the one from the salvage. With a quarter million miles on it, some of it pretty hard, it's time for a rebuild.
Old 10-22-2007, 12:49 PM

Tranny

I don't know for sure, but I think the pilot shaft is the main shaft in the tranny, which means a rebuild, if I go that route. I'd rather rebuild the current tranny than use the one from the salvage. With a quarter million miles on it, some of it pretty hard, it's time for a rebuild.
Oh ok , I was just thinking if the tranny was in good shape you could just swap the pilot shaft but I am like you , if I am going to tear it down might as well rebuild
Old 10-22-2007, 01:14 PM

Wait...you crawled under and looked at the pilot shaft??
Was the trans removed? Why crawl under?
I'm missing something. You can't see the pilot shaft when it's installed in the truck.

I'm guessing that someone pressed the clutch in, you had the inspection cover off and could make the shaft move up and down.

If that's the case, it's likely the pilot BEARING which has tossed it's cookies, not the shaft. $20
When mine hucked it's parts it damaged the clutch too. I got the marlin and it's the best clutch I've ever had in the truck.

As to smelling coolant...this is normal headgasket failure recall. You may be able to get Toyota to spring for a new engine under the recall if there's pitting of the cyl walls. They'll also pay for the R&I of the engine and a new/rebuilt engine comes with a new pilot bearing.

It's certainly worth a trip to the Toy Dealer and see if you can get it done under recall.
Old 10-23-2007, 11:22 AM

Or the coolant leak may be that little U shaped bypass hose on the back of the intake manifold.
Old 10-23-2007, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by Gonzo4Runner
Or the coolant leak may be that little U shaped bypass hose on the back of the intake manifold.
That is a little bugger to get to ...................
Old 10-23-2007, 02:21 PM

With a quarter mil on it, and possibly a bad HG:

If it was driving ok, and not making any noise, id bolt it back and keep driving it.

Nothing to lose except a tow bill. It could last a lot more miles.
the 5 speed in our 76 Celica had over 500K on it and it was worn out, but worked fine.
Old 10-23-2007, 03:10 PM
Contributing Member

I am in the middle of a similar teardown.

When I pulled the trans, I found the replacement had a early t-case, so I split my old t-case/tranny and I found a bunch of fluid inbetween the two.

Lucky my main seal appeared ok, but I have a couple other seals to replace in my old transfer and new trans.

It looks like I got into a knife fight with the cuts on my arm from reaching for the stupid bellhousing bolts on the top.

A weekend job is turning into a weeklong saga
Old 10-23-2007, 03:52 PM

Bell Housing Bolts

Originally Posted by dlbrunner
I am in the middle of a similar teardown.

When I pulled the trans, I found the replacement had a early t-case, so I split my old t-case/tranny and I found a bunch of fluid inbetween the two.

Lucky my main seal appeared ok, but I have a couple other seals to replace in my old transfer and new trans.

It looks like I got into a knife fight with the cuts on my arm from reaching for the stupid bellhousing bolts on the top.

A weekend job is turning into a weeklong saga
If you had used 24"-36" of extension could have saved you that cat fight
Old 10-24-2007, 02:55 PM
Contributing Member

Yeah, I did use a 24" extension. I just HAD to get my hands in there though
Old 10-24-2007, 06:15 PM
Contributing Member

I'm getting a salvage tranny with 90K miles tomorrow...$475. Good thing I've been working a lot this fall.

I also called Jarco about a 1kzt diesel. $4K for a 1kzte diesel with an automatic tranny. I HATE automatic trannies. But I noticed that Toyota has a 2.7 L diesel in their HiLux pickups that are sold in Mexico. I wonder....
Old 10-25-2007, 06:30 PM
Contributing Member

Tranny from the salvage yard also had a worn pilot shaft, so it looks like it will have to be a rebuild for my tranny but....

Leakdown test confirmed the headgasket is leaking.
Old 10-26-2007, 09:38 AM

Head Gasket

Tranny from the salvage yard also had a worn pilot shaft, so it looks like it will have to be a rebuild for my tranny but....

Leakdown test confirmed the headgasket is leaking.
Either that ,a valve seat or some cracked or seized rings , there is no gaurantee but if it shows a problem then at least you know and it generally is the HG but have seen other problems pose the same results , the good thing is either way you have to replace the HG
The bad part is that you have to do it , sorry about that part .

Last edited by n4ynu1010; 10-26-2007 at 09:40 AM.
Old 10-29-2007, 02:15 PM
Contributing Member

I just talked with the tranny shop...It seems my transfer case was shot also. Chain was in bad shape and they're on national backorder. $1800 to rebuild the tranny...If I choose to do it. I ain't stupid (noormally)...but $4000 for a 1kzte diesel, tranny and transfer case are lookin' like the cheap way out. But then I have to get them mounted.
Old 10-29-2007, 02:20 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Diesels are looking better and better with the price of oil hitting $93 or whatever the%*$ price it hit today! I wonder if you could make it across the border with one of those 2.7's?

Quick Reply: '95 4Runner on Death Bed