86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

95 4runner a340h tranny question

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2017, 10:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
95 4runner a340h tranny question

In my searching of the forum, I did not find an answer to my question. There is a lot of information that has helped me come to a conclusion... so, here are the systems, what/where I believe the problem to be, and my question.

Rig: 95 4runner sr5 4wd. Motor - 3.0 3VZE, Tranny - A340H auto. 230k miles. Rebuilt motor (about 3k miles on it). Last owner claimed rebuilt tranny about 35k miles ago. That is unknown.

I went to a 4wd park, loads of fun. At one point I went down a pretty steep hill nose first. It was only after this event that I noticed my problem.

R does not work. When shifting into reverse, it engages, and the 4R will creep, as long as things are level, and without obstruction. Giving it gas only races the motor with out effect on reverse speed or ability.

In my searching, I learned that R and L have the same clutch pack and that one of the tests I can do is to try it in low and see if it behaves the same. Test was completed, L functions correctly.

Oh, and I did check trany fluid levels. It is full.

That has led me to believe that my problem lies with the valve body, with a bad/dirty check valve.

I believe that because it does engage in reverse, the reverse solenoid is not bad.

So, is my logic sound? or are there things I am not aware of that could be wrong?

And lastly, assuming that the problem is with the valve body, can I remove the valve body while the trany is in the 4R? or is that impossible? or a bad idea?

Any input/advise would be awesome... thanks!!
Old 07-07-2017, 02:57 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
I don't see any mention of having checked the fluid level. sometimes it is jut the simple stuff.
Old 07-09-2017, 01:14 PM

Yes, fluid level was checked...
Old 07-25-2017, 05:07 PM

Replace the Soleniods. No change. I am still thinking it is in the valve body and am unsure what my next step should be. I have never worked on an auto trany and think my best bet would be to take it out and have a shop rebuild it... I do not want to go through the expence of a rebuild if the problem lies with the valve body and can be fixed without rebuilding the transmission.
Old 08-05-2017, 04:31 PM

Valve body is out... very dirty. Ordered new gaskets and will be taking the top and bottom pieces to a machine shop for a chem bath...
Old 08-12-2017, 06:21 PM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
stick a shift improver kit in there while you have it out. Transgo makes a kit. some claim its a must while wheeling an auto. i will be doing it as soon as funds allow.
Old 08-13-2017, 03:23 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
When the budget allows put in a big trans cooler out front, to keep things cool. Auto tranny's hate heat. I like -6an stuff for trans cooler lines, very bullet proof.

Also since you found mud, try one of these.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Transmission....c100005.m1851

Last edited by skypilot; 08-13-2017 at 03:45 AM. Reason: additional info