Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

95 4runner 4" lift, question about rear shackles

Old 02-27-2019, 12:45 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
95 4runner 4" lift, question about rear shackles

I have a 4" lift on 1995 4runner. I get up to about 60 and it begins to tilt or warble from side to side, like I am in a boat in water being passed by wave-runners in the wake. The guy who sold me the truck, said a bolt fell out of the lift on the rear, and they tightened it back up again. I check under there and can not find any missing bolts.

However, what I do find - is that these shackles look suspiciously wide. I do not really how they look new or what they should look like. Does anyone have this, or something simular - can you tell me if these gaps are bad? To me, they seem a little wide or bent out of shape. I would like to put some washers on the outside, replace the bolt and tighten that down, but before I do - I wanted to get advice, please if anyone has it. Thank you.

Gap in shackle 1

Gap in shackle 2
Old 02-27-2019, 02:56 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
so i would try to clean up the rear suspension a bit. looks like it needs some love with degreaser and a wire wheel/brush
you are gonna have some what of a small gap because more than likely each of those bushing have a metal tube in there.
after 25 years and who knows how many miles you are probably due for some bushings.
Did they do a rear panhard bar relocate too?

how do you know your issues are tied to the rear of the truck? is the front end good to go?
Lots of crap up there that can cause issues

you are gonna need to check wheel bearings in the front and the back.
Old 02-28-2019, 07:15 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
panhard bar? Is that the stabilizer bar? The lift kit has all kinds of adapters on it. Each of the bolts on the whole thing look like it was parked by the shore, and all the bushings are equally as distasteful to look at. I had this issue with my Dodge Dakota, and went and replaced all the bushings. After I was done, the truck drove just the same as it did before I had about 60 painstaking hours of breaking my knuckles and rust raining in my face. It is 30-40 degrees here now, and under the truck with the water and the brushes cleaning the carriage is not my idea of a fun comfortable time. When my neighbor breaks out his power washer again, I'll give it a wack. The filth will just re-appear within 3 days later.

Yes, bad wheel bearings. One in the back driver and and the one in the front passenger. Diagonal - so I guess that could explain a side-to-side warble with the lift and huge tires. I had to scavenge hunt a list of parts, then a ridiculous $15.00 54mm socket that I will only ever need only for this truck.