Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

'95 100K maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2003, 06:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'95 100K maintenance

Hi,

Just picked up a used '95 3.0 4Runner (have had several other Toyota's in the past) and I'm trying to run through all the preventative maintenance items that make sense.

Truck has a 3.0 V6 with 108,000 miles. Oil was changed every 3k (per the pen writing on the driver's visor he used to track it).

So far I've replaced the plugs and plug wires, air filter, oil, and oil filter. The spark plugs were a real pain the butt to replace (only on cylinder 5 and 6) but finally got it done.

I've searched and searched for the PCV valve but have yet to find the friggin thing. Thanks to a forum search here I'll dig around more on the passenger side tonight.

Radiator will be flushed soon.

Brakes have a light vibration at low speed so I'm replacing the rotors and pads as soon as I have a few hours available. Will replace brake fluid at that time as well. Any precautions or tips?

First big problem I have is last night I crawled under the thing to replace the fuel filter. From the looks of it the thing has never been replaced, or at least it has been quite a while. The bolts on the fuel lines are rusty and seem pretty seized up. I also have almost no room to swing a wrench down there. I spent a good hour trying to get it off but got nowhere. Is there a trick to this? I might end up cutting the fuel lines on both sides and splicing in a section of flexible fuel line and rigging in the new filter if I can't get this off...not cool.

The other big project I have is tranny maintenance. I've never done this before. I've got the replacement filter. I've read countless pro's and con's for a machine flush versus dropping the pan and replacing whatever comes out. At this point I'm just going to do it myself. Any precautions or tips before I get in to it?

Any other areas I should check out or parts I should replace? Truck looks great, runs great, and hopefully will last a long time.
Old 07-24-2003, 07:21 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'95 100K maintenance

Couple of things I would add.

Grease everything that needs it - Certainly on my '93 Surf there are a lot of grease points - propshafts, ball joints etc.

Remove, clean and repack the wheelbearings - a personal preference and something that others might not agree to.

Grease all the electric window mechanisms - these are a know weak point.

Check all the exhaust mountings, condition of the exhaust and muffler and Cat.

Check all the tyres for wear, bumps, uneven wear.

Check the steering idlers, external condition of the Power steering box.

Check external drive belts.

And on mine the Cambelt needs to be changed - not sure on the petrol model.

Cheers