Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

94 Runner 3.0 - vibration at 50 - 60 MPH

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 03:37 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ouch! I will heed to your unfortunate advice and experience.
Old 01-05-2009, 07:36 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by 91 4Runner
It makes no difference if you have it in 4wd or not before dropping the driveshaft. It will not grind or do anything odd... I will stress to make sure that the wheels are blocked, and whatever you do DON't park on a hill without using your parking brake. Once fluid stops flowing (truck off) it will roll (if the incline is enough) Ask me how I know...

I do realize after I'd over zealously cautioned him that if it remained in park before, after, or while he shifted into 4wd that it wouldn't matter. He's only shifting the transfer case. But, if he were to try and shift the transmission before he had in 4wd it would, and that was my concern. Only because I've done it.....<<<"dumb" moment<<<
Old 01-05-2009, 07:39 AM

Oh, and I was only concerned because the motor will have to running to operate the ADD system.

Just trying to consider any possible scenarios. That's all.
Old 01-05-2009, 05:35 PM

OK, so maybe I need to put my neck on the chopping block here and let a few of you take a swing. BAD U-JOINT! Although it showed no signs of being bad while mounted, once I took off the driveshaft to test in 4WDH it was obvious that the upper joint had issues. When I rotated the joint there was no flex or rocking as would be expected, but there was significant lack of freedom. It would bump as if it was binding. Replaced it with a $16 joint and she rides smooth as glass. Wishing I had picked up two of the joints this evening before the store closed. Could have knocked both ends out in one night. Pushing those caps out is a major PITA without the right tools!

Thanks to all.....as usuall!
Old 01-05-2009, 05:54 PM

What'd I tell ya?..... >>>me/ dodges the flying wrenches<<<

Glad you found it, Aaron. I wouldn't worry about the other UJ if it was moving smoothly. Just keep it, and all others, greased frequently. Especially if you are seeing a lot of precip this time of year. Seems to me the UJ at the rear diff gets the most bathing and needs it more often.

The best way I've found to remove the caps is to work them back and forth. It's still a royal pain if they've been in a while, but drive them out and in/back and forth until they loosen up enough to just pop out of the hole. It also helps to spray them with WD or other while doing it. Of course, I've also just been using sockets and ball peen hammers, anymore. Cracked the vice last time I tried using it. That sucked....
Old 01-05-2009, 06:53 PM

No, no wrenches were thrown your way! You and Abe are alright by me. Kinda feel like I am in training "Dodgeball" style.

I know what Abecarian does for a living besides handing out Toyota knowledge. What is it that you do? Related to mechanics?
Old 01-05-2009, 07:45 PM

Nothing professionally....no. All my mechanical experience comes from simply being a DIY'r.

My wife and I own and operate a small, non-profit animal sanctuary on our ten acres in the woods, and I spend most of my time with that. But, I also work at a Health/Nutrition/(East) Indian food store on the weekend. There, I sell herbs and supplements to people and give them advice on how to get healthier. And, then there's the Indian community that just wants some of their native groceries, but that's a very small part of my job. Since I've studied natural health and cleansing for the past 14 or so years and expiramented with a lot of it myself on myself, that would be the majority of it.

As for the mechanical/DIY'r stuff...... I don't make a lot of money, so I've had to learn and do almost all of my own vehicle maintenance and repair. And, because all of my vehicles were well used by the time I got them, there's been a lot to learn and do.......in addition to my use and abuse. You know....wreckage, motor blowage, and... gosh...just the plain toll that time takes on them. Fortunately, I guess, I'm a quick learner and have a good aptitude for it. Otherwise, I'd be in somewhat of a mess. Like I said, I don't make a lot of money doing what I do "professionally".....hehehe.

BTW, many, many thanks to YT. I've learned a lot here by reading and application. Plus, the posting gives me a good chance to really think about how things work in many varying conditions/circumstances I may never see often if at all.

I think you've said before, but what is it that you do? I'm assuming something emergency/medical related.
Old 02-27-2009, 06:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had the same problem with my 91 4 runner. Checked everything you did. My flange nut was loose once and I re tightened it and staked it down. The vibration stopped for awhile. Then the rear started getting really loud, whinning and such. Grenaded the rear end apart. The pinion bearings were badly worn and pitted. I believe that was the vibration and sound. New rear now. Everything is fine. Hope this helps
Old 03-01-2009, 02:44 PM

Have not figured this one out yet, but pretty sure it is my front end. Getting ready to replace one of the CV axles thinking it may be part of the problem since they turn all the time and this one is loose on the outboard side.
Old 03-01-2009, 03:09 PM

I will agree with thook, if you have ADD, CV shafts do spin even if you are in 2wd.
Old 03-02-2009, 09:00 AM

I'm getting the same type of vibration out of my 94 runner, but I checked the front passenger side driveshaft, and it has a cracked boot on the outer CV joint. I guessed that this must be where the vibration is coming from, but now that I've read this thread, I might just have to check my U joints, too.

One thing puzzles me though; whenever I make a sharp turn in 4L, I get a loud "clunk" and the wheel seems to lock up, lugging the engine down. I let off the gas before anything lets go with a bang, but I'm wondering if the bad CV joint on the front is the culprit?
Old 03-02-2009, 11:48 AM

Is this sharp turing in 4L while on pavement or on loose terrain such as gravel, dirt, etc.?

A cracked boot doesn't necessarily mean it's bad........the cv that is. But, when you checked it, was there any play in the axle and, if so, in what way?
Old 03-03-2009, 05:51 AM

Thook, quick question for your expert ears. Noticed that in addition to being "loose" on the outboard side (closest to wheel), the CV axle was loose at the flange side of the front differential. The other side is rock solid at the diff. flange. I don't have any knowledge of differentials and am wondering if I have something else to consider than just replacing the CV axle. Played all day in the snow with 4H/L and had no problems at all in terms of binding or odd noises.
Old 03-03-2009, 05:05 PM

http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b...le/24disas.pdf

Do you mean the joint of the CV axle at the diff side is loose and that the side gear shaft (note identifying terminology I'm taking from above link......just so we'z can communicate a little better.) coming out of the diff is rock solid?
Old 03-03-2009, 05:12 PM

I seem to remember this having been gone over before.......forgive that I do not read the entire thread over, please......but, where the outboard side of the CV goes into the hub......if that's loose (IOW, up and down and all around play and not just in and out), that sounds to me like the spindle bushings are worn. But, if you're not getting overly obnoxious noise from it, I wouldn't worry about it. Unless, you want to. The spindle bushings on my '86 are worn to the point of substantial play and from time to time make some racket, but they still function well enough not to warrant immediate attention. Hell........they may just need some lubrication......which I've never done. That would require making that spindle lubricator contraption a fellow member here posted about a long time ago. Which I may do at some point, but that'll happen when it happens....hehehe.
Old 03-03-2009, 05:16 PM

Pictures are worth a thousand words....the passenger side gear shaft (upper left in picture) wobbles a bit. I see an oil seal in the diagram, but have no noticable leakage. If things were askew, it would seem that I would experience leakage???
Old 03-03-2009, 05:28 PM

I like your style of thinking. Wish I could be less obsessive than I am. If I see a problem, I have to at least know how to fix it. Might not be able to afford it, but can think it through at a minimum. Then again, this is why I have you and Abecarian!
Old 03-03-2009, 10:26 PM

Well, I know how you feel. I used to be a lot more obssessive than I am. Still am about some things, but I really, really hit a point in my life recently where I made a firm decision that I wanted to feel good no matter what. I was in the middle of a lot of misery (and, all misery is really self inflicted by your thoughts/ideas/view of things). Anyway, I wanted to be happy no matter what.....realizing, of course, that is what life is really about. So, when you stop and think about that it puts everything in better perspective. That's all that matter is that you feel good. That is not to say there aren't things that may trigger a less than positive response, but in time one can learn to find more optimistic thoughts and even find appreciation for that which causes distress being that there truly is more than one perspective on ANYTHING. shift your perspective. Obssessing over vehicles.....or anything......is distressing. But, it's only because you want something and in the wanting of it you believe you will feel better in the having of it. Nothing wrong with that...at all! But, it's the gap between where you are/where you find yourself/ present circumstances and the desired end that is causing the distress. This is good, though, because it creates contrast to help you clarify what you want (and also cause you and the universe to expand). So, in this respect, you have to find some way to reach for thoughts that bring you relief. This helps close the gap and even allows you to be happy in the gap. IOW, the desire you've created/concluded is of certain feel/vibration. If you can match yourself to that feeling, you close the gap thereby bringing the desired end more quickly and effectively. It's more like going with the flow and floating downstream than struggling in misery upstream. I mean, eventually you get what you want, but the struggle only brings a lot of dis-ease/disease in the interum and, in effect, also slows the desired result down immensely. Think about it for a minute or two. Going with the flow/closing this gap means all the resources and time you need to reach your end will come about easily. Struggling means you're blocking those resources and the time. If you could play around with that and apply it to any desire your life, you'll see what I'm talking about. Then, it doesn't matter so much to you anymore that you ever get what you want because you're already happy...........which is all you wanted to begin with. Ironically, you will also still get what you want and even in a better way than you may have expected.

Yes, I know that may not seem to have anything to do with the vehicles we play with, but all life is interconnected according to how you're living it. This is how I'm coming into that style of thinking. And, you can, too......if you want.

Last edited by thook; 03-03-2009 at 10:36 PM.
Old 03-03-2009, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by ahickman
Pictures are worth a thousand words....the passenger side gear shaft (upper left in picture) wobbles a bit. I see an oil seal in the diagram, but have no noticable leakage. If things were askew, it would seem that I would experience leakage???
To answer your question, the side axle is loose on my wife's 92, also. I'm not sure if that's normal or not. I've posted about it another member's thread, but no one seems to be able to answer the question satisfactorily. Something I may have to call the dealership techs about. Like yours, it's not making any abnormal behavior or noise, so I'm not really worried about it. Besides, worrying only attracts the undesired event. I think we as humans really need to remember how to relax more...lol!

Last edited by thook; 03-03-2009 at 10:34 PM.