Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

94 Pickup Unknown Error Code

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2006, 11:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
94 Pickup Unknown Error Code

Ok guys I am new to this board posting. I have frequented the board for some time previously before becoming a member and in advance I want to thank anyone who can shed some light on my current issue. I just installed a remanufactured longblock 22re in my 94 pickup. The truck runs but it seems to have a rough idle. For example you can watch the gear shifter(Manual Transmission) shake excessivly from side to side when the truck is at idle. Under hard acceleration the truck runs rough and feels like the motor is missing or something of the sort and just doesn't seem to have the power a fresh 22re motor should have. I finally ran out of ideas and decided to used the Te1 e1 method for engine codes. The code I am getting is 1 long pause 2 short pause 5 short pause 7, if I understand correctly this should be translated as 12 for the single digit code and 57 for the two digit code. However I can not find any thing that matches a 12-57 error so I am really confused with the problem.

Please help me out if you have had experience with this code/problem or and suggestions to finding out what the source of the problem is.

Thank you,
Spiffy
Old 03-27-2006, 12:04 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Are you counting the blinks or the pauses? You should be couting blinks. Two-digit codes will have a short pause between them. Look here for more info:

http://www.off-road.com/toyota/tech/codes/index.html

Mike in AR
Old 03-27-2006, 12:22 PM

Sorry I wasn't clear enough, I am counting the blinks. I was just stating the pauses because the pause period between blinks differs in the one digit code to the two digit code. I have already viewed the page you posted previously before posting and it did not answer my question. The only code that started with a 12 was the knock sensor code but that code is 12-52 not 12-57 like I am getting. I watched the blinks several times to make sure I was counting correctly so I feel confident the code is a 12-57 I just don't have any clue what that is telling me.

Thanks for the post though Mike,
Spiffy
Old 03-27-2006, 02:00 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I think some of your confusion might be that you seem to be trying to relate the codes.

While they may be connected, there is a good chance they are not. So, you need to learn more about what a code 12 could be, and then what a code 57 could be. Look at them individually. You may even try to zero out the codes and restart, to see which codes come back and when they do.

Hayne's manuals are cheap and can be found at most auto stores. Even though they are not the best, you will get a list of codes and possible causes. I am sure there are some online sources as well.

My experience is that even with a code defined, you won't have a direct answer to your problem. More often you'll just have another clue. At least you will have a place to start looking for problems.

Best of luck.
Old 03-27-2006, 04:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Elvota has it right -- there are no codes that are 'connected' . With a long pause between flashes, you either have a single digit code, or a two digit code. AND they are separate codes. He is also right about the specificity of the codes. They don't 'always' point directly to the problem. They only point to where the problem 'surfaces'. I was getting an O2 Sensor code, but it was caused by a bad fuel pump. The engine was running lean. The O2 Sensor was where it showed up. That's kinda the problem with the OBD-I computers which all our Gen 2's have. They were manufactured prior to 1996.

I'm with Elvota. Reset the codes and start over. I'm not sure what a code 57 is, either.

MIke in AR
Old 03-27-2006, 05:30 PM

Ok I reset it like suggested and drove it light stayed off. Started her back up drove about 5 minutes the engine light came on. I then checked the code and got the same pattern. Now what I am wondering is if I was getting confused because it seemed to start with 1 blink. Now it almost seems to match-up to the 25 code lean and the 71 code EGR malfunction. However I am still confused because according to the Haynes manual I have the 71 code is only applicable on California models which would suck because I am sure the Cali version must lack some performance due to the emissions B/S. Atleast I am getting a few clues. Thanks for the help everyone.

Spiffy
Old 03-29-2006, 06:48 PM

OK problem solved. Thanks everyone for your help. For future reference I found the problem was a bad connector had slipped off the number 4 injector so it was only firing on 3 cylinders. Wow what a difference. I found the problem after checking the plugs to find number 4 didn't look like it was firing at all. Hopefully someone can benefit from this in the future.

Thanks,
Spiffy