86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

94 Pickup Taillight and Dash short

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 08:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
94 Pickup Taillight and Dash short

I drove a long distance on tuesday back to my college town in the day. I drove to the store at night and noticed that my cluster lights were out. Then I realized today that my tailights are effected by the short also. Its only the running tail lights that do not light up when i turn my lights on. Braking lights are not effected.

I checked out the fuse box today at the kick panel and found that only the tailight 15amp fuse was bad. The cluster fuse was fine though. I replaced the fuse and it worked for about 5 minutes of driving. Its again only the taillights that are effected along with the cluster lights not on. Braking lights are fine though.

Is there anywhere that I should specifically looking for a short? I have no idea where to start to find out where its causing this. Any help would be much appreciated.
Old 02-19-2009, 09:08 PM
Contributing Member

I had a similar problem, I just cleaned up the battery terminals, and started cleaned up all the major connectors (mainly green plugs on mine) And I guess I had a bad ground somewhere, but somehow my lights started working. I had the same thing as you by the headlamps working but no parking lights...I had break lights but once again no parking lights or instrument cluster lights...I started by checking every bulb, they all checked out good, then I started from the rear of the vehicle unplugging connectors, cleaning them, then reconnecting them, after I finished cleaning and re-plugging connectors....it worked....still kinda strange to me but whatever...mine work now. Hope this helps you.

Good Luck

Last edited by my-4x4; 02-19-2009 at 09:09 PM.
Old 02-19-2009, 09:12 PM

yeah it might help me. its all in the tail lights though. my head lamps work perfectly fine. but tomorrow first thing ill just start yanking my tail lights off and cleaning up my connectors.

were you blowing fuses though? what did you clean your connectors with?
Old 02-19-2009, 09:17 PM
Contributing Member

I did have a blown fuse, not sure which one it was now....but did your parking lights work? like your running lights? Do you take yours off-road and if so what type of terrain?
Old 02-19-2009, 09:22 PM

that circut is also through the radio and cig lighter. my problem was an arc in the wires that kept blowing fuses. check the fuse panel and the circut you will find the problem like I did!
Old 02-19-2009, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by johnnyboy
that circut is also through the radio and cig lighter. my problem was an arc in the wires that kept blowing fuses. check the fuse panel and the circut you will find the problem like I did!
the circuit that includes the cluster, tailights, radio and the lighter are all on the same one? my cig lighter hasnt been working for months now... maybe that has something to do with it? finally catching up or something?

Originally Posted by my-4x4
I did have a blown fuse, not sure which one it was now....but did your parking lights work? like your running lights? Do you take yours off-road and if so what type of terrain?
just my running lights are off. but not too much offroading. usually only in the summer. lots of snow and i live in ontario so lots of salt also. ill check the visible spots under the truck and behind the lenses.

i also have a wiring loom for a trailer hooked in. its a clip in loom. i cant remember, but i dont think the trailer plug has a cover. think being exposed would actually short them out?
Old 02-19-2009, 09:50 PM

Electrical Diagrams

I've solved a lot of my electrical problems by looking through a combination of http://myweb.dal.ca/is353832/93fsm/, my Haynes manual, and my Chilton. Chilton is a bit more thorough, but the Haynes offers colours for wires and possible locations for where circuits begin and ground.

Electrical diagrams don't tell you where items are, just what order they come in, and what attaches to what. The service manual, if you search for a 94 year, should give you reference to exactly where relays and switches are, and then show you the diagrams, so you can trace the wires that way.

A cheap amp-meter can be your best friend. Good luck!