Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

94 4Runner steering rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2017, 05:00 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
94 4Runner steering rebuild

Hey all,

I bought my 4Runner about 2 years ago and my front end has been clanking and clunking around for a while now, after taking it camping in the rough AZ desert almost every weekend. Went in to Firestone for a routine rotate/balance/alignment (since it's free w/ lifetime service) and they said it's unalignable due to my super-loose steering components. They wanted a grand to replace the idler and ptiman arms, the tie rods, and my steering stabilizer. I told them that sounds like a fun weekend project.

My questions are:

1. Is this Moog kit a good way to go? http://www.moog-suspension-parts.com...packagedeal043 Or should I try to find OEM parts (and if so, where should I get OEM parts)?

2. My truck has an Old Man Emu lift with the steering stabilizer as well... running 33x10.5's. How can I tell if the stabilizer needs to be replaced or not? I have a feeling they just wanted to sell me another overpriced part.

3. Is there anything else I should replace? I just did my brakes and CV axles, wheel bearings seem okay.

Thanks!
Old 07-05-2017, 05:24 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Some people will say only OEM parts other not so much. I've used Moog on a couple race cars and never had a problem or worry.

Yeah, shops will try to sell you on a big job if they can.
I would do the idler and pitman arms and tie rods first and see how it feels. Does the stabilizer feel like it isn't working?
Old 07-05-2017, 05:28 PM

I've never driven this vehicle without the stabilizer so I'm not sure what to compare it to. Considering how loose everything is down there, the truck drives pretty good on the highway. More or less straight and without much wobbling of the steering wheel.
Old 07-05-2017, 05:36 PM

How about over bumps or off road - does the steering wheel mostly remain smooth to operate or does it snap back at times?
Old 07-05-2017, 05:54 PM

Seems to do what I want it to off road. Sometimes the wheels want to straighten themselves out but it doesn't force me to. I think maybe I'll hold off on the stabilizer for now and focus on the rest of the steering components. Just realized that Moog kit doesn't come with the pitman arm, idler arm, or the tie rod sleeves. Guess I'll have to get those too...

L5wolvesf, are you in Flag? I'm moving there next month.
Old 07-05-2017, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by nickbeauregard
Seems to do what I want it to off road. Sometimes the wheels want to straighten themselves out but it doesn't force me to. I think maybe I'll hold off on the stabilizer for now and focus on the rest of the steering components. Just realized that Moog kit doesn't come with the pitman arm, idler arm, or the tie rod sleeves. Guess I'll have to get those too...

L5wolvesf, are you in Flag? I'm moving there next month.
Sounds like a good plan. Don't forget to check your ball joints too.

I'm in Cottonwood.Nicer weather this time of year in Flag.