86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

94 4Runner problems in Reverse

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2006, 02:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
94 4Runner problems in Reverse

My 94 4runner auto transmission is doing weird things. When I move the gear selector to Reverse, it does the usual slight lurch Indicating that the transmission has engaged, and on level ground when you depress the brake it begins to roll backward. The problem is if you step on the throttle it seams to disengage and revs the engine.
I moved to back up a slight hill and found that when in reverse the transmission engaged enough to keep me in one spot butt as soon as I gave it gas it would start to roll forward. I shifted into 4 low and it worked without any symptoms. As far as I can tell the only problems are in the reverse position. I talked to a mechanic and he recommended a new/rebuild tranny. I think this would probably be way to expensive to pay someone to do. After searching this forum I couldn't find any advise about this sort of thing, so I was wondering if anyone has seen this before? Thanks in advance for any help you my be able to give.
Old 10-09-2006, 03:54 PM

FIRST before you do anything else, check your fluid level. If its ok, then you have got deep problems. There is three things that could make this happen and you can narrow it down. First is the direct clutch C2, Second is First and Reverse brake B3, Third is O/D one way clutch (sprag) F0. Take your truck on a test drive, turn the over-drive off and see if it has some slipping in third gear, this is the most likely of the the three. If so it is the C2 clutch. If not bring your truck to a stop and put it down in the "1" position and see if there is the engine braking that it should have (decelerating). If it dosent have engine braking then it is B3 , if it does then it is the o/d one way clutch F0.

Clear as mud??

Pretty much any way you look at it, it will prob need a rebuilt trans if you dont have the tools/time/know-how.
Old 10-09-2006, 08:04 PM

Thanks a bunch for the info Ill have to check it out first thing tomorrow. I was out looking at possibly trading it in for a 2001 Tacoma. They wanted way way way to much though.
Old 10-10-2006, 06:52 PM

Ok well acording to what was advised it looks like it is the o/d one way clutch F0 Is the problem. No slipping in 3rd and proper engine braking in 1.