Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

94 4runner 3.0 cold/warm start issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 01:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
94 4runner 3.0 cold/warm start issue

this thread is also in the newbie section as well, anyway on with the show

ok so i have a 94 4runner its an auto trans if this makes a difference with my problem, the issue i am having and can not seem to figure out is my cold starting and after its reached full temp and sat for a few hours.

i bought the truck in september of this year and when i got it the truck started fine and drove fine, after i fixed a few problems with the fuel and break lines. now i had to do an etest on it so i figured that i would clean out the throttle body and VAF meter with some throttle body cleaner just to make sure everything was clean and maybe it would help in the testing. now before i did anything to it it idled fine at about 750-800 RPM where it should be. i took off the intake pipe leading to the body itself and sprayed it all out clean wiped off the butter fly, made sure the ports on top were cleaned out too(small shot of compressed air) i then sprayed the inside of the VAF meter too. now after i started it up it ran good response was ok and everything, so i emptied the can of cleaner into it

thats when my issue began, the idle after that was at about 1200 rpm. it went to the emmissionlike that and passsed, but the only way i could get it down was to screw in the idle adjustment screw. now upon doing that i lost my cold start idle, wont get over 1100-1200 PRM even on cold days all winter response was sluggish and boggy. now i know the TPS is good. reason being because that was my first guess, changed it with a new one with no result, also i dicked around with the throttle stop screw and dashpot, so i bought a used throttle boy this past weekend and put it on, it started right up but again would not drop below 1100 rpm for an idle, but the cold start 1500PRM idle was back

im wondering if by spraying the cleaner into the throttle body that maybe something else on the backside of the intake may have gotten clogged up. maybe something is now letting in too much air and this is why i had to compensate with the idle adj. screw?? possibly the PCV??

shortly after that my fuel damper went to so i put a new one on, and after that my cold start injector started to mess up

now if its cold it will kick easy with the cold start inj. conected but somewhat floods. after its been sitting and i come back after a few hrs to start it up with the engine still warm it also fires it again and floods in the same fassion.

i have had the conector to the inj. disconected for the last few months and it starts fine but wondering y the injector is firing when its hot.

last thing, after its sat for a few hrs and i come back to start it up, it takes alot of cranking to kick it over with the injector disconected as well.

as u can see i need help lol sorry its so long but i figured a detailed description is best thanks all