86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

93 truck tragedy

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2017, 03:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
93 truck tragedy

I'm sad to report that the best car I've ever owned, my '93 toyota truck, was involved in a serious accident in which it gave its life for me. While planning a Viking funeral seems more fitting for such a beast, I guess I should do something responsible with what's left of it, and sadly I lack the skills or savings to get it fixed. There's a ton of front-end body damage and the radiator is shot, but the thing still turns over and drives, somehow. I've been offered $300 from a scrapper, but that seems low. This thing was meticulously cared for and only had 1 owner before I purchased it last year, and I put a bunch of money into making sure it was in good shape (new clutch etc). Should I just eat this loss and take the $300? Am I delusional for thinking it's worth more, even though it's 16 kinds of jacked up? Anyone in the DMV have a better offer? That 22re is still chugging... I've got pictures of the damage and would love for it to go to someone who will treat it right.
Old 09-12-2017, 04:44 PM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Damn, it really sucks when something like that happens.

BUT... I know there are lots of people interested in trucks in this area. Heck, I'm tempted myself! (for more than scrap price, and more than a scrap life)

Post some pics! Maybe someone can turn it into an off-road monster!

edit: If it's the 2wd, it already has a good starting point for a solid axle swap.

Last edited by irab88; 09-12-2017 at 04:47 PM.
Old 09-12-2017, 04:51 PM

Thanks for the response! I was hoping might find a home here...I really did love this truck so I'd be so happy to offload it to someone other than a sketchy-as-hell scrapper. I'm attaching a pic of it post-accident--there was some damage to the plastic around the steering column, but the rest of it's ok, and like I mentioned, it is running. I have a feeling this pic is going to come out huge, so apologies in advance.
Old 09-12-2017, 06:55 PM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Oof... glad you're okay!

Yeah, looks "totaled". It could probably be converted to an off-road buggy. I could probably do it if either- I had a bigger garage or the frame wasn't so twisted up front.

My advice: if you can't find a buyer for the whole thing as-is, part it out. Start from the inside and work out:
-engine
-seats
-dash
-wiring
-interior body panels and parts
-transmission
-bellhousing
-driveshaft
-brake and clutch parts
-bed
-doors
-axle
-wheels/tires (probably close to $200)

That right there, if done well, could get you well over $300. It's what I plan to do with my 4runner (I bought it as a donor vehicle for my swap... paid way more than $300). The engine alone is going for upwards of $700 on car-part.com
Old 09-12-2017, 07:18 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
ouch, hope you're OK.

I've been down the totaled vehicle road before. If insurance co is involved they are likely going to claim it. But if you were not at fault you can wrangle to keep it. That has to be determined first.
Old 09-13-2017, 09:33 AM

Insurance has decided they don't want it--I didn't have collision on it unfortunately. I just listed it on Craigstlist--fingers crossed and thank you everyone for the advice! I wouldn't know where to start parting it out--good motivation to learn more for my next truck .

Edit: and yes, I'm fine. That thing is a tank.

Last edited by rustyspoon; 09-13-2017 at 09:37 AM.